posted on 23/4/14 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Humble pie scoffed - won't 'appen again guv honest

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

ChrisW

posted on 23/4/14 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingster996
Humble pie scoffed - won't 'appen again guv honest

Don't worry, you're not the only one. Quite the opposite in fact!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kingster996

posted on 23/4/14 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
So.... Can I be verified now

Chris

ChrisW

posted on 23/4/14 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hopefully the verification system will be back online in the next 24 hours. It will be mandatory for all new signups.

Those that are currently active members and not verified will be given a grace period, probably 14 days I guess.

Note that if you make a donation you are automatically verified due to Paypal passing your details over.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
unijacko67

posted on 23/4/14 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
It really does go without saying that every genuine member and regular user of this site massively appriciates the site and the work you do to keep it going Chris.

"A big thanks Chris" from me.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

prawnabie

posted on 23/4/14 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I chuckle reading these posts, every so often someone will throw their dummy out and have a rant about the admin, then when they make an appearance all the arse kissers come out of the woodwork!

I prefer the kitchen posts!

kingster996

posted on 23/4/14 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Hopefully the verification system will be back online in the next 24 hours. It will be mandatory for all new signups.

Those that are currently active members and not verified will be given a grace period, probably 14 days I guess.

Note that if you make a donation you are automatically verified due to Paypal passing your details over.

Chris
hmm, I donated some time back but still says unverified?

ChrisW

posted on 23/4/14 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW

Chris
hmm, I donated some time back but still says unverified?

That shouldn't be the case, but maybe the code to do it is broken.

Anyway, you can now verify here: http://locostbuilders.co.uk/account_verify.php

Chris

My gaff my rules

nick205

posted on 23/4/14 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Appreciated as always Chris.

Spooky - anyone else get the donation reminder pop up this morning?

£10 donation duly made

[Edited on 24/4/14 by nick205]

David Jenkins

posted on 24/4/14 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
I got it as well - and I've donated! I still consider it to be value for money.

I do sometimes grumble at some minor features that don't work properly - but then I remember the fact that Chris runs this largely on goodwill, so I shut up and be grateful.

Note: I hope that reminder will now go away following my payment...

Irony

posted on 24/4/14 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
I chuckle reading these posts, every so often someone will throw their dummy out and have a rant about the admin, then when they make an appearance all the arse kissers come out of the woodwork!

As far as I am aware this website is run by one man for no profit in his own time. If a few people want to thank him for his good work then let them. If this website was subscription only and Chris made his living by just running Locostbuilders then good luck to him.

sdh2903

posted on 24/4/14 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie

I think everyone is grateful for the site and the effort Chris puts in, however there has been a growing feeling lately that Chris maybe needs a couple of Lieutenants to clear up the shite on a daily basis when he is busy. These requests for discussion have been largely ignored and not even openly discussed. I haven't reached the levels of throwing the dummy as you put it but have made my feelings known and mainly deleted. But at the end of the day it's Chris's site and I'm grateful he hasn't pulled the plug as I would never have got my car on the road without this site.

Re-donated, thanks for the reminder.

big_wasa

posted on 24/4/14 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Bunged a tenner in the pot.

As above, if I could now get rid of the reminder ?

Cheers

[Edited on 24/4/14 by big_wasa]

loggyboy

posted on 24/4/14 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
I stuck a tenner in, time does in need fly, 3 years since my last donation!
The banner remained so I clicked the 'opt out' option and its gone now... hope theres no black mark against me name now!

Mistral Motorsport

DW100

posted on 24/4/14 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Verified my account by text this morning, Very easy
David Jenkins

posted on 24/4/14 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I also clicked on the 'not now' button to get rid of the banner - I hope Chris isn't making a secret blacklist for future action...

ashg

posted on 24/4/14 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Donated but the banner didn't go away. Chris Is it automated to disappear on payment or is that something manual you do?

I wonder how many would be prepared to pay a rolling £1 a month or £10 a year?

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

leon51274

posted on 24/4/14 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
£10 in the pot from me!
kingster996

posted on 24/4/14 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg

£10 a year is fine by me

[Edited on 24/4/14 by kingster996]

Slimy38

posted on 24/4/14 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

£10 a year is fine by me

[Edited on 24/4/14 by kingster996]

Same here, to be honest I'd not realised it had been so long since I donated. I pay the same for my Yahoo mail, and to be honest I get much less value from that.

ReMan

posted on 24/4/14 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
paid up for another year

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ceebmoj

posted on 24/4/14 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Donation made, but the banner is still there. I don't want to disable the banner manually, because I don't mind donating annually and a reminder will make sure I do.

I would like to add I agree that A couple of other additional mods would be good as well.

ChrisW

posted on 24/4/14 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Donated but the banner didn't go away. Chris Is it automated to disappear on payment or is that something manual you do?

It should go away automatically, but a few people have reported that it doesn't so I guess the code doesn't work properly. I will investigate over the next couple of days. For not just hit 'not now' - I'll write a quick script to erase that preference from those that have donated when I figure out why the banner isn't disappearing.

quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
These requests for discussion have been largely ignored and not even openly discussed. I haven't reached the levels of throwing the dummy as you put it but have made my feelings known and mainly deleted.

I can assure you that very little gets deleted and I certainly don't think any discussion regarding mods has gone that way UNLESS they were comments made on an otherwise spam thread which there has been a lot of. I'm not going to mess around adding posts to make the discussion that follows make sense - if the first post is spam and everything else is just moaning about it the whole thread gets junked.

My opinion on mods is that I don't really want to go down that road unless I really can't avoid it, and this comes down to one simple reason: impartiality. I take great pride in this site being completely impartial, and I get it in the neck regularly with people wanting posts removed, "someone said something I don't like", "if you don't delete this I'll sue you" rubbish. I can't remember and exact number, but I bet if I could I could count on one hand the number of genuine, on-subject threads removed over the last 12+ years of running this site. Anyone that threatens to sue me over I tell to bring it on, and not one has taken up the challenge yet. I take a lot of stick for this sometimes, and often I'm not popular for it, but I stand by the site's impartiality, feel it is one of it's greatest assets, and in the long run, once the dust has settled on any rows, I truly believe the membership as a whole is intelligent enough to respect why I stick to my guns.

If I did take on a new mod I would have to trust them 100% that they would not be swayed by messages they will inevitably receive or the feeling of contempt they will get when they don't give in to the peer pressure and first of all not give in and delete or edit just to get people off their backs, but also not decide to give up on the job due to the aggravation. Trust me, if I can feel like throwing in the towel even after all these years of effort I'm sure others will!

I must also point out that the forum software currently has no 'soft delete' function. When a thread gets deleted, that's it. If I did have moderators I would have no idea what they had deleted, edited, etc and that's another reason that I need 100% trust in them as it will be me that has to clear up the mess, with no evidence of what actually happened, if a bad decision is made. Yes I could code that feature in, but surely my time is better spent on other things, an example of which follows.

As I see it, the main issue that people are calling for mods for is the spam posts that appear, and it is correct that due to the forum software being old it is not as well protected against spam bots as more modern packages. However this spam problem has only happened since the phone verification system stopped working. For those that were not around in those days it was put in place to stop the trolling that was going on a few years ago where people would sign up stupid usernames and wind up arguments. When my server was stolen by my previous employer I had backups of everything except the code that did the verification, hence when I got the site back online I had to do it without this feature. In the year that has passed since then the spam problem has steadily got worse. However I suspect I have now fixed this with the new, re-vamped phone verification system which, assuming it works, makes 95% of the reason for having mods go away.

On the subject of the forum software, I regularly read people criticising me for not updating it. Unfortunately they don't understand what has gone on over the last 13 years. I have made so many modifications to the code and database over the years, so many that I can't even remember half of them, that an upgrade would a massive undertaking. Things like the photo gallery, Sphinx search and the integration with Paypal, to give just three examples, would all need to be re-coded again from scratch. It's simply not feasible; I would be better off time-wise my own forum engine from scratch, which I would really like to do, but time simply doesn't permit at the moment.

I will be watching the situation over the next few weeks, and if the spam issue doesn't dramatically improve I have another idea up my sleeve to combat the problem. This would allow users to tag posts as spam, with the tag weighted by factors like how long both the author and the person reporting has been a member of the site, how many posts they have made, what 'spam' rating their other posts have received, etc. So for example it might take two well established people to report a newbie for spamming and have their thread automatically hidden, but it would take 100 newbies with say 10-100 posts and >30 days membership to automatically hide a well established member's post who has not had a previous post reported. I've not figured it all out yet, and I'm hoping I won't have to, but this is a route I would far rather go down as it means the community moderates itself and there can be nobody exercising overall power (apart from myself of course, but I strongly suspect that over the years I have demonstrated that I don't play games like that)

So there we have it. I didn't intend this to go on so long, but at least I've finally got around to putting out a statement about why I'm resisting taking on help. I do hope that you, as members, can understand my reasoning and agree that the site is better off overall if we keep to the existing structure, put protection from spam in place as far as possible, and if it turns out that any further moderation is required that I come up with a way of crowd sourcing this rather than electing individuals.

Cheers, Chris

[Edited on 24/4/2014 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

sdh2903

posted on 24/4/14 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the reply Chris. The growing suggestions for mods were largely down to the growing kitchen tossers so if you've managed to eradicate them then great. From our perspective, we are aware that you run the site in your spare time and were suggesting moderators to ease the load so to speak. From your reply I can now see the added complexities and why you don't want to go down that route.

Steve

nick205

posted on 25/4/14 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Well presented Chris and a valuable insight into the mechanics and operation of the LCB forum.

I can see why you want to avoid involving moderators on the site. The weighted user self-moderating approach sounds interesting although the weighting itself needs careful consideration.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.