Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wishbone bush upgrade
leon51274

posted on 17/2/15 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Wishbone bush upgrade

Hi Chaps

I'm booking my roadster in for a full geo and corner weight setup soon and I'm contemplating on upgrading the wishbone bushes from the hard black plastic type ones for some powerflex type ones. Has anybody done this? Is it a worthwhile conversion? I suppose the car will be 90% road use.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards
Leon

James

posted on 17/2/15 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
If Leon is a pseudonym for Lewis Hamilton then you might notice the difference...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Fcck2000

posted on 17/2/15 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leon51274
Hi Chaps

I'm booking my roadster in for a full geo and corner weight setup soon and I'm contemplating on upgrading the wishbone bushes from the hard black plastic type ones for some powerflex type ones. Has anybody done this? Is it a worthwhile conversion? I suppose the car will be 90% road use.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards
Leon

I've just had my car corner weighted, before doing it I replaced every bush for Powerflex bushes. I felt it was pointless going to the expense of corner weighting geo set up if the suspension had unwanted travel.
I guess it depends what you intend to use the car for really, if the car is road only then it might be pointless going to the extent of corner weighting.

Depth of pockets and how much you intend to spend on your car would be a factor to take into account. The bushes cost a small fortune and can be a right royal pain to do.

Paul

Tiger SSC
220bhp on standard MZR Duratec engine with throttle bodies and mild camshaft upgrade.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 17/2/15 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Have you thought about rose jointing? The best way to dial out any chassis / wishbone inaccuracies.

You'll wont notice the difference in different plastic ones.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Texan

posted on 17/2/15 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you're talking replacing a delrin bushing with a Powerflex you will notice the difference. Unfortunately usually the delrin ones are so small you can't find a Powerflex to fit.

I was doing the same thing on my Stalker chassis and am having to replace the rod ends to larger ones to get enough "meat" of the bushing.

I drive therefore I am.

leon51274

posted on 17/2/15 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
On further inspection it would appear that there is a washer in between the bush and the inner of the U bracket on both sides ! Surely this isn't normal practice is it?

I didn't build the car by the way!

James

posted on 17/2/15 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
On further inspection it would appear that there is a washer in between the bush and the inner of the U bracket on both sides ! Surely this isn't normal practice is it?

Its very common to be honest.

You want the two 'ears' of the bracket to be parallel. If the crush tube and bush tube are narrower than the gap between the ears you need the washer or else the 'ears' will bend inwards and make the bush likely to bind.

The washer also allows a little bit of adjustment. I have several in mine and it means I can move the wishbones relative to one another to alter castor.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

leon51274

posted on 18/2/15 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:

Its very common to be honest.

You want the two 'ears' of the bracket to be parallel. If the crush tube and bush tube are narrower than the gap between the ears you need the washer or else the 'ears' will bend inwards and make the bush likely to bind.

The washer also allows a little bit of adjustment. I have several in mine and it means I can move the wishbones relative to one another to alter castor.

Cheers,
James

Cheers James, always nice to know its not un-normal.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.