Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Ron Champion Chasis
sammini7

posted on 28/8/17 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Ron Champion Chasis

Hi all I have just bought a 'Lowcost' Ron Champion completed chassis, I have plans to fit either a bike lump or Zetec lump with coil over suspension. Moving past the obvious dimensional and welding check, does the chassis need any improvement if you were going to track the finished car?

Anybody who built a Locost, I would appreciate your advise.

Kind Regards

spiderman

posted on 28/8/17 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote

If you are taking it on track then a full roll cage would stiffen it up considerably, quite good for road cars too as it may protect you if a 4x4 or tractor tries to drive over the top of you, depends where you live, but it is a consideration where I live.

[Edited on 28/8/17 by spiderman]

Spider

Dick Axtell

posted on 29/8/17 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sammini7
Anybody who built a Locost, I would appreciate your advise.

Yeah - I built an early MK-chassis-ed Locost. If you choose a Zetec engine, no doubt you'll couple it with a Ford T9 box. This will limit how far back you'll be able to mount the engine. I had to keep 10mm gap between the bell-housing rear face (back end of starter motor housing), and the
chassis bulkhead.
Bell_housing_Clearance
Bell_housing_Clearance

The Zetec is taller than the crossflow (which I had originally installed), and seems to be longer. The end result was that I had to form a cut-out in the rear edge of my nose-cone. Some form of bonnet bulge will be required - still on my ever-lengthening "to-do" list. I recommend that you check for installation space at this chassis stage, so that you can make the necessary mods well before the build stage.
Zetec_Fwd_Position
Zetec_Fwd_Position

[Edited on 30/8/17 by Dick Axtell]

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.