Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New gearbox oil?
bi22le

posted on 26/9/18 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
New gearbox oil?

I have owned my car for a while (just under 10 years or so) and have never changed the gearbox oil.

It has not even moved for over 2 years but its slowly coming back together after a slow check and rebuild. All fluids will be flushed and changed and I would like to do the gearbox as well. Is this an easy task?

I can get access to the fill point so I was considering pumping it out if its too much trouble?

Its a type 9 BTW, and I am assuming that the LCB collectinve will be suggesting I should change the oil. . . .

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

rusty nuts

posted on 27/9/18 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
There is no drain bung , I have in the past used a vacuum pump with a short length of washer tubing to remove most of the oil although if the box was out I would hang it from the bell housing end . I'm sure that the level plug position was altered by Ford on later type 9s to improve lubrication but can't remember where . Think the boxes were supposed to be filled for life but not a bad idea to change the oil.
steve m

posted on 27/9/18 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
Is the gearbox in the car? as if its not, just leave it with the propshaft end in a bucket

if not pumping out is the only option, but you will need a very good pump as the oil is very thick

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

David Jenkins

posted on 27/9/18 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
I used a big oil syringe that I bought from a car show ages ago - big plastic thing with some flexible hose at the end. Looks a bit medical, but it got everything out. I removed the gearbox lid to make it easier to get into all the corners.

Similar to this.

[Edited on 27/9/18 by David Jenkins]

nick205

posted on 27/9/18 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I've not changed manual gearbox oil on my daily tin tops before. When I built my Sierra based MK Indy I left the oil in the Type 9 manual gearbox and it worked just fine. Personally (unless you've accidentally spilt a load of oil from it) I'd leave it be, get the re-assembly of the car finished and get driving.
FamilyGuy

posted on 27/9/18 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I used a big oil syringe that I bought from a car show ages ago - big plastic thing with some flexible hose at the end. Looks a bit medical, but it got everything out. I removed the gearbox lid to make it easier to get into all the corners.

Similar to this.

[Edited on 27/9/18 by David Jenkins]

Second that... I've used these in the past without any problems.

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/9/18 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
there is no car in the world that has a gearbox last forever, 10 years old, 2 years sitting about...yeah for all the cost of oil why not?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 27/9/18 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
there is no car in the world that has a gearbox last forever, 10 years old, 2 years sitting about...yeah for all the cost of oil why not?

That's what I thought - the gearbox was on my Workmate, ready for installation, so I decided to change the oil while it was an easy job. Once I'd filled the box to the right level I installed a screw plug in the lid and made a dipstick so I could check the level any time I want - but I've never felt the need to do that since I installed the gearbox!

CosKev3

posted on 27/9/18 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
As above,for the price just bang new in

Lots of cars now have 'life long oil' in them,my VRS did but seeing as it was fitted with a drain plug and I do my own spanner work I thought I would change it at just over 100k.
Oil was very dirty,and gearbox was noticeably smoother with new oil in it

bi22le

posted on 27/9/18 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Great idea about taking the top off, that's nice and accessable on our cars.

I'll look at getting a industrial syringe, I can get medical ones and tubes from work so I know that it won't be a problem.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

britishtrident

posted on 28/9/18 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Great idea about taking the top off, that's nice and accessable on our cars.

I'll look at getting a industrial syringe, I can get medical ones and tubes from work so I know that it won't be a problem.

Be aware the top plate retains the detent balls and springs with can easily spring off and go awol ---- in any event unlike engine oil or brake fluid gearbox oil won't deteriorate unless you put a relative huge number of miles on the car or subject it to significant number really hard track laps .

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Oddified

posted on 29/9/18 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Be aware the top plate retains the detent balls and springs with can easily spring off and go awol .

Not on a type 9, they're behind a set screw in the side of the main casing at the front.

Ian

bi22le

posted on 30/9/18 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'm glad you have said this, I took the to off a few months back and didn't notice anything flying off which meant I could of been in deep doo doo!!

quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Be aware the top plate retains the detent balls and springs with can easily spring off and go awol .

Not on a type 9, they're behind a set screw in the side of the main casing at the front.

Ian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.