Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IRS vs SRA
Gre3D

posted on 13/1/19 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
IRS vs SRA

Hi Guys,

i've been thinking of changing my locost's baby atlas rear axle to IRS,

when i use the car at the moment ( trackdays only) i feel like there's a lot of flex in the shafts inside the atlas axle, this flex is very noticeable when i put the car on the trailer and put straps on the wheels
my tyres tend to wear out only on the outer side of the wheel, while the rest stays like new. i've tried changing tyre pressure ( went up to 2.6bar cold)
i had mat at procomp make me a new set of shocks and listened to his advice. very nive guy, was very helpfull! but the tyres keep wearing out very uneven, even though i've been told the a solid rear axle would give an IRS car a serious run for its money i can't help but think that converting it to IRS is the way to go.
the abillity to control toe and camber seems like a huge benefit to me.

so i'm wondering now what the best to do is, upgrade the standard atlas axle driveshafts with stiffer Quaife driveshafts which might sort my problem or convert the whole thing to IRS. i'm also a bit bothered by the bit that the atlas axle is constantly leaking oil inside the wheels despite the fact that i've changed the bearings and oil seals more then once (probably due to the flexing of the shafts?)
i also think an IRS setup would be a tad lighter then the atlas axle i have now?
what do you guys think?
sorry if this has been discussed before but i can't seem to find anything on the subject on here

[Edited on 13/1/19 by Gre3D]

----------------------------
running a duratec ST engine'd locost for belgian slalom championship

britishtrident

posted on 13/1/19 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
There is a heat shrinking trick that was used by american stock car racers to put a small amount of negative camber on a live axle exactly same method as used to correct toe on a live axle except of course apply heat the top of the axle not the front or rear.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.