Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Photos
johnhsmith

posted on 29/1/19 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Photos

I hope I've finally worked out how to get some photos on here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3zn7oze9n1jzb0i/AAD7TY1hnIFCe65NAOnUElHja?dl=0

I hope that works

gremlin1234

posted on 29/1/19 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I hope that works
yep seems to work, looks nice ;-)

voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 30/1/19 at 02:51 AM Reply With Quote
Good to see a real "book" Haynes Roadster, Ford Sierra based (if I refer to the instruments cluster) which is getting very rare nowadays, made in the Locost spirit (wheels, seats, instruments, ...) and still looking very nice.

I like the aluminium bodywork, you did a very good job there.

Congratulation for the build, and for the IVA pass!

Cheers

jps

posted on 30/1/19 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Looks good.

I assume you've used the 13" steel wheels from the Sierra - how did you get them to fit? I wanted to do the same but there's no way mine will go over the lower bolt in the rear uprights

johnhsmith

posted on 30/1/19 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Vouch,
Thanks for that. Yes, I wanted to use as much as possible from the Sierra and only failed with the propshaft, which I couldn't get balanced after reconstruction, and the wiring, which frankly just beat me.
The seats are from the rear of a Citroen Picasso (C4??)

JPS,
Yes the wheels are the original Sierra. I thought they would look so good just like the Caterham. And so cheap!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7imnozqjl2ftm9x/Photo%2018-10-2018%2C%2017%2007%2024.jpg?dl=0

I don't remember having any issues with the wheels/uprights. However, after making the wishbones and assembling the suspension I found that I had made a slight mistake with the lower wishbone. I had made the jig from the illustration in the book, showing the length at 465mm, when it should have been 475mm. To correct this I welded an extra RU8 onto the upright. Could this have made the difference?

John

nick205

posted on 30/1/19 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
A very smart looking car!

Some hefty machines in the background - not your garage I'm assuming?

johnhsmith

posted on 31/1/19 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Nick,

Thanks.

No, work.

Fortunately for me we have a business making parts for classic cars, so I have access to all machines and materials I needed for the build.

My admiration goes out to all of the builders out there who do it in their garage at home, or even on their drive under a tarpaulin!

John

PAULD

posted on 31/1/19 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice. Did you keep a record of the cost ? I would definitely recommend some stone guards on the rear wings though, mine are covered in chips around quite large guards.
jps

posted on 31/1/19 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnhsmith
JPS,
Yes the wheels are the original Sierra. I thought they would look so good just like the Caterham. And so cheap!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7imnozqjl2ftm9x/Photo%2018-10-2018%2C%2017%2007%2024.jpg?dl=0

I don't remember having any issues with the wheels/uprights. However, after making the wishbones and assembling the suspension I found that I had made a slight mistake with the lower wishbone. I had made the jig from the illustration in the book, showing the length at 465mm, when it should have been 475mm. To correct this I welded an extra RU8 onto the upright. Could this have made the difference?

John

I just had a google - looks like some Sierra steel wheels were 14". Mine are (I think) 13", so perhaps I can get that look after all...

johnhsmith

posted on 31/1/19 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAULD
Very nice. Did you keep a record of the cost ? I would definitely recommend some stone guards on the rear wings though, mine are covered in chips around quite large guards.

Too scared to add it all up! I first bought the Ron Champion book 'for less than £250.00' The raw tube and steel cost that much - at trade prices.

I should add it up though just to know. Best guess is between £5k and £10k.

Will definitely do stone guards, just waiting for some time.

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.