Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Transmission Collision Damage.
Angel Acevedo

posted on 5/5/19 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Transmission Collision Damage.

Hi all.
Not sure where to post so i am posting this here.

Has any of you had Transmission Damage due to a collision?

If so, which car, and type/extent of damage?

Was an insurance claim made? Was it successful?

Reason for asking is the following.

Chevrolet Spark 2012, (Daewoo), FWD, 5 Speed Manual Transmission
Car crashed into a curb angled so left side suspension took the most damage, speed unknown (not so fast, airbags were not deployed)
Among others Right side damage: Lower A arm. Hub Carrier, McPherson strut, ARB link, tyre, wheel and bodywork damage.

Car was repaired but...

Even though it was reported to the insurance company that the gearbox was stuck, that is, no gear could be selected after the crash, there is no report of the shop performing any work on the transmission.

The car was received and driven for a week or two at low speeds... mileage unknown at the moment, but less than a tankful so 300 to 400 km tops.

After this, we made a road trip and some 100 km into the trip, the Gearbox started jumping out of 5th gear.
Stereo on for a 100 to 150 km more, then to receive a phone call we lower the volume and while doing so, a whine is evident, not noted before and for sure not present prior to the accident.

At this point we are midway our trip, I am traveling alone with my daughter and don´t want to stop for safety reasons.
Further down the road, the popping out of gear becomes more frequent and the noise is increasing albeit extremely slowly.
At some point, I notice that during gearchanges, i am quite sure I hear a rattle, I stop at the side of the road an open the bonnet to see if there´s evident problem with gearbox which I found none, no evidence of gearbox cracked, oil leak, or problems with gear selector cables/attachments.
Now I am past midpoint, so best thing to do is continue rather than go back until the noise reaches a point were I fear for gearbox failure before I reach my destination.
I see some military facilities and decide to call my Insurance provider and request road assistance claiming that the damage is accident related.

Crane gets us to our destination and car is sent to an alternate shop not the Chevrolet dealer - common in Mexico on older than 5 year old cars.

Mechanic diagnoses the car and states that noise and the poping out of gear is "normal Wear-and-tear therefore Insurance denies payment.

I have read Insurance Policy T´s & C¨s and can´t find basis for this denial.
Even though it was evident that the gearchange mechanism - and probably the gearbox itself was affected by the crash, there was no effort made to diagnose it properly.

I am extremely confident that the gearbox was OK prior to the accident as I drove the car a couple of months before with absolutely no issues.
Thanks for reading...
Your comments...?

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 5/5/19 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
I have no response to your question, but do on the car !!!

I had a Chevrolet Spark and a 2012 model as a rental vehicle in 2012, due to some idiot taking the whole side of my Mondeo off in a car park while we were shopping

I can honestly say that the Chevrolet Spark was the WORST car I have ever had the misfortune to drive, so much so. I actually tried to roll it on a bend, as the steering is not actually connected together, I then managed to burn the clutch out, not deliberately, and they gave me a Hyundai I10, now that was a nice little car !

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

perksy

posted on 5/5/19 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Try the Insurance company and see what they say

Problem is you've been using it for a week or two and they will probably say it was not related to the accident and has just happened ?

Did you keep a copy of what you had said to the repairers ?

big_wasa

posted on 5/5/19 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
My brother glanced an Astra of a brick wall when we where kids. I spent hours doing the body work to find he couldnt get it gear.

It had split the bell housing off the gearbox so when you pressed the clutch it would open.

rusty nuts

posted on 5/5/19 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra’s would break the tail housing off the gearbox if hit hard enough in the rear
Angel Acevedo

posted on 6/5/19 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
Try the Insurance company and see what they say

Insurance company is reluctant to pay, even though it was reported that gearstick was seized.

quote:

Problem is you've been using it for a week or two and they will probably say it was not related to the accident and has just happened ?

I understand, but escalating symptoms were not evident until road speed was achieved.

quote:

And yes, I have two fully detailed e-mails of chain of events...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
perksy

posted on 6/5/19 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Think I'd be taking some legal advice and see what a lawyer says
Angel Acevedo

posted on 7/5/19 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

That´s the insurance company position...

quote:

Unfortunately, I was not driving nor involved in the claim process. Even though the driver stated that the gear lever was stuck, it was not put down in writing, Inexperience on their side, but even then, we have what is called "vicios ocultos" which covers that kind of events, which the insurance company is not willing to honor as they say it is "normal Wear and Tear" as stated by a stup1d mechanic....

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
My brother glanced an Astra of a brick wall when we where kids. I spent hours doing the body work to find he couldnt get it gear.

It had split the bell housing off the gearbox so when you pressed the clutch it would open.

Problem here is that the damage is not that evident....

quote:
Think I'd be taking some legal advice and see what a lawyer says

That I´ll be doing.
My question is if someone here had the same case and how he fared...

Mexican Insurance Governing Bodies are a Joke and I´m trying to sort this out without recurring to them...

They are so bad that I might as well take the hit...

Keeping my fingerrs crossed...

Angel Acevedo

posted on 29/5/19 at 02:46 AM Reply With Quote
Update.

So, a very important part of the puzzle was left out on initial post.
The original shop changed the CV Axle.
And this is where it gets good.
I asked the insurance company to get a report from Chevrolet.
Technical Report from Chevrolet states damage due to "low oil level, lack of maintenance"... I´m about to burst into tears as now I have to pay "Technical Report" - another1600 pesos (80 quid), but tried to calm down and review documents at hand..

Upon closer look, I foud that the CV axle was changed, so out comes Online bought Chevrolet Matiz Shop manual..
Browse through 1800 pages to find CV Axle service instruction on the very last 12 pages...

Service procedure ends with
--- replenish Oil to appropriate level..
--- Torque plugs to X X ...

Letter to Insurance company to claim on two premises...
- Either shop did not replenished oil to appropriate level
or
-- Shop did not torqued plugs appropriately and oil leak at highway speeds caused transmission failure.
Both are a direct result of damages/procedures arising fron accident.

I am pretty sure I have a point and may get my car repaired under original claim.

02GF74

posted on 29/5/19 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
Letter to Insurance company to claim on two premises...
- Either shop did not replenished oil to appropriate level
or
-- Shop did not torqued plugs appropriately and oil leak at highway speeds caused transmission failure.
Both are a direct result of damages/procedures arising fron accident.

I am pretty sure I have a point and may get my car .

Sorry to read about your troubles. I've said in the past that insurance companies are not charities so will squirm in order not to pay out.

I don't see how you can prove the above unless you were video recording the work at the shop. I doubt they will admit liability even. If they are at fault.

Good luck anyway.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.