Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 4/6/19 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Old valves

Hi,

Sorry, this is not Kit Car related, as my Haynes Roadster is fine. But I’m currently renovating an old Kawasaki GPZ 550 from 1984 (ZX550) and there is so much expertise on this forum that I’m sure I can find help here .

Yesterday, I removed the valves from the head, and, after having given them a good clean, I saw that they were pretty marked by time. And I’m a wondering if I should change them or not.

The 2 first pictures are of an admission valve, the 2 last ones are of an exhaust valve :

I can also use the valve grinding paste, but I’m afraid it will just affect the valve seats, and not the valve itself. Am I right?

So, to your mind, should I change these valves, or use the valve grinding paste and reuse them?

Thank you.

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/6/19 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
tbh I'd bin them all and get the valve seats and new valves refaced at a machine shop. That valve second from the bottom, what a mess...

At least one of the cylinders may have been running too lean. Not sure bikes are the same but valves are usually not that expensive and getting the work done at a machine shop quite cheap. You'll really notice the performance improvement of it done properly.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fazerruss

posted on 4/6/19 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Only the edge of the valve is the sealing face. You can re lap the valves by hand with some grinding paste. The pitted areas don't touch anything so not critical.
You could clean the pitted areas if you wanted by putting the valve in a lathe or pillar drill whilst facing them with some emery tape.

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

nick205

posted on 4/6/19 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
fazerruss is correct that it's the outer edge of the valve that performs the sealing process. IMHO the rough, pitted surface of the valve heads will cause disruption to the flow of air/fuel in and exhaust out though. Personally for the cost involved I'd replace the valves and seats to make sure you get the smoothest quickest flow possible from the rebuilt engine.
ReMan

posted on 4/6/19 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
yes I looked at the first two and thought they look new, lap them and put them back in.
But the third one is a bit oof a mess
If you want to put some miles on it then replace them, but if its just a go and show bike and on a budget theyd still be ok for some time yet

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Theshed

posted on 4/6/19 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Are they clean? That looks like polished carbon build up to me... If you can scratch that and leave lines ....keep cleaning and then make a decision
Mr Whippy

posted on 4/6/19 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theshed
Are they clean? That looks like polished carbon build up to me... If you can scratch that and leave lines ....keep cleaning and then make a decision

Yeah looking again even the worst one might just be carbon... It's tough stuff, try scraping it with a screw driver till you can see the metal. Even the worst valves I've ever had could be cleaned to bare metal with no pitting.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 5/6/19 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
Clean them up on a bench grinder fitted with a wire wheel before deciding or if you haven’t got access to one try gasket stripper. Are new valves available? The valve seats do not need changing , they can be recut if pitted but try lapping before recutting . All of the valves I have seen or replaced have started to burn away from the sealing area of the seat that has started as bad pitting . Even if the seats are good is the valve stem to guide clearance OK?
voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 5/6/19 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you very much for all your answers.

Yes, new valves are available, but normally quite expensive: more than 20 euros a piece! Si cost was an issue and that is the reason why I didn't want to buy new ones unless absolutely necessary.

But I found an add for a full set of new valves (4 admission, 4 exhaust) for 40 euros only, so I bought them, as this expense is acceptable. I'll receive them shortly.

Now for the seats.

I'd like to avoid bringing the head to a machine shop. And visually, the valve seats do not seem damaged. So can I match each seat with each new valve with valve grinding paste when I receive the new valves, and will ths be enough?

Thank you.

coyoteboy

posted on 5/6/19 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Check valve guides for excess play. Check seats for pitting. Grinding paste and lap them in. Should be fine?

voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 7/6/19 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Check valve guides for excess play. Check seats for pitting. Grinding paste and lap them in. Should be fine?

I received the new valves today. I'm going to do what you say.

Thanks a lot

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.