Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Toyota MOT major miss
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/6/19 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
Toyota MOT major miss

So while getting started with fixing my dads 2007 Toyota Aventis which it failed it's MOT on a few items... I noticed the wheel moving oddly while taking off the wheel nuts so looked underneath and saw this WTF!!

Not sure what more it required to actually fail this part?!? The wheel is free to move all over the place, talk about dangerous. My dad totally hit the roof when I showed him and he's off to the garage to have a word with the owner . I've told him that with the general state of the car underneath it's scrap now and just not safe to use.

I beg to differ....

[Edited on 10/6/19 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 10/6/19 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
looks like it,s been at the bottom of the sea

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

rusty nuts

posted on 10/6/19 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Typical Japanese suspension , all of them seem to rust badly
ttalps2000

posted on 10/6/19 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
we have a 2006 Honda FRV and that has rusted badly. Had a load of welding done on the underside for its MOT a year ago, cant say im impressed tbh!
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/6/19 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Well this is our 3rd Toyota that's been turned into a scrap heap due to underbody rust. Corolla, Rav4 and now the Aventis... Will be the last Toyota we get
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
perksy

posted on 10/6/19 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
That's bad

"It wasn't that bad at the time of the test Sir"

Wonder if the car has spent some of its life by the sea or driving through road salt in the winter?

big_wasa

posted on 10/6/19 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Fords have done that for years. We scraped the wife’s Ka 18months ago due to rot and it was on an 08 plate.

But it wasn’t as unsafe as that

rusty nuts

posted on 10/6/19 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine had a 3 year old Fiat Strada that rusted through the roof back in the 80s
Aston Martins rust through on the inner wings near the front subframe mounts when only a few years old

[Edited on 10/6/19 by rusty nuts]

coyoteboy

posted on 10/6/19 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 28 year old Toyota that isn't that badly rusted (not even remotely close), and it's spent 5 years of it's life hooning around a beach.

[Edited on 10/6/19 by coyoteboy]

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/6/19 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I have a 28 year old Toyota that isn't that badly rusted (not even remotely close), and it's spent 5 years of it's life hooning around a beach.

[Edited on 10/6/19 by coyoteboy]

Obviously standards have slipped

rusty nuts

posted on 11/6/19 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Chinese steel?
David Jenkins

posted on 11/6/19 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
I wonder if it's the UK's use of salt on the roads that's the problem? I'm sure I heard somewhere that Japan don't use it, even though it can be just as cold there.

rusty nuts

posted on 11/6/19 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
One of the causes of cars rusting worse than others of the same age and model is where they are parked normally , parking on gravel, grass or mud is far worse than concrete or tarmac which dries out quicker reducing condensation
daviep

posted on 11/6/19 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
The tester can only record how he finds it on the day, I would presume it hadn't actually failed when he tested it and sometimes the big chunks of rust can hang on stubbornly enough to hide the true condition.

All those items should have been picked up during the last service, I would think about changing my servicing schedule or getting my servicing done elsewhere if it was serviced recently.

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

steve m

posted on 11/6/19 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Reading all the MOT advisories, I suspect the MOT tester had had enough of looking for anything REALLY BAD
as all the minor defect to fix would out weigh what the car was worth

Ive not seen a failure, advisory sheet that bad in 40 years

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

ReMan

posted on 11/6/19 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Well this is our 3rd Toyota that's been turned into a scrap heap due to underbody rust. Corolla, Rav4 and now the Aventis... Will be the last Toyota we get

The RAV4 I have is 13 years old and no rester. Still on its first exhaust
Are you driving across a beach every day?
I'd say, looking at my Bro's Verso too that Toyotas are one of the better builds. I'd have another at a stroke

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/6/19 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
No these cars were primary my folks using them, they were parked over gravel and serviced by the same garage who has done their and my MOT's for about 10 years.

The garage this was tested is about 400 yards from my house and all I have done since the test it is jack up the wheel and remove the wheel nuts...

There's a well known problem with Jap cars in that due to them using chemicals in winter instead of salt they tend not to rust proof cars to the same standards used in Europe, certainly the cars we've had did not have any sign of factory underseal being applied. A few years ago I looked at MK3 MX5 for sale at the same garage, up top it looked stunning, however when I looked under it, it was totally covered in heavy rust.

I'm no longer going to use this garage despite it being so convenient.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.