Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Little information on toe adjustment.
Coolguyat18

posted on 22/3/20 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Little information on toe adjustment.

Hi guys, first off thank you for your help a few weeks ago with my supertracker, it's going well but there is 1 thing I need help with please?

I have the STR1 LCHC24 and it's a fantastic kit how ever I do have a technical question please if you can help about the toe setting.

instructions state if you have the two toe readings in different colour zones you need to subtract the lower number.

Example: O/S/F = +2 N/S/F = -1
This would mean we have a total of +1 toe in.

Now where I am a little confused (sure this is me) what happens if we have the larger number in the red such as:

Example: O/S/F = +2 N/S/F = -5

Now if we removed the lower number which is 2 this gives us 3 BUT is this + 3 (toe in) or - 3 (toe out) as the larger number is in the red (toe out)

This is the only thing i am un sure of on the setup if you can let us know please.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 22/3/20 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
The different colours denote either toe in or toe out , think red is toe out but they should be marked + or - . If the scales read both in the same colour zone then you add the figures together, if both red that is toe out , both green ,toe in.
If the higher figure is in the red then you have toe out? If higher figure is green you have toe in
You only deduct the lower figure from the higher if the beams are in different colour scales
Obviously you need to take the rear flag readings into consideration when making adjustments.
The instructions are usually on the charger wall mount or trolley and are easy to understand
It takes longer to explain than it takes to track a vehicle up when you get used to using a Supertracker

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Coolguyat18

posted on 22/3/20 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
The different colours denote either toe in or toe out , think red is toe out but they should be marked + or - . If the scales read both in the same colour zone then you add the figures together, if both red that is toe out , both green ,toe in.
If the higher figure is in the red then you have toe out? If higher figure is green you have toe in
You only deduct the lower figure from the higher if the beams are in different colour scales
Obviously you need to take the rear flag readings into consideration when making adjustments.
The instructions are usually on the charger wall mount or trolley and are easy to understand
It takes longer to explain than it takes to track a vehicle up when you get used to using a Supertracker


Hi there and thank you for the reply.

I understand all of the above and the toe in (green) and toe out (red) and adding together and the rear flags having equal readings, my main question is about trying to under stand the red and green readings.

In the instructions tell you if the lasers fall in to the red and green you need to subtract the lesser number, so if I have +2 osf and -1 nsf then I have a total toe if +1, perfect.

The example in the instructions state the same as above so that's cool too.

My question is what if I have a reading where the lesser number is in the green so +2 osf and -5 nsf, if I subtract the lesser number which in this case is 2 that would leave me with 3 BUT is this still 3 toe in as in different colours or has it now changed to toe out?

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 22/3/20 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
short answer, turn the steering wheel a little, so one of the readings is zero, and you will then just have one pos or neg result of the toe

long answer...
with numbers like +5 and -2, you need to start again from scratch
1 centre the rack
2 put the steering wheel on straight
3 set one front wheel to approx zero
4 set other to approx zero
now this is a good place to start the job...
assuming a fairly standard rear wheel drive, we shall be looking at a touch of toe in on each side. fwd normally has a touch of toe out. (static)

actually step zero is a visual inspection of what looks wrong, are there any bent or insecure components (ie bent wheel rim, or insecure rack or loose bushes)

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Coolguyat18

posted on 22/3/20 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
short answer, turn the steering wheel a little, so one of the readings is zero, and you will then just have one pos or neg result of the toe

long answer...
with numbers like +5 and -2, you need to start again from scratch
1 centre the rack
2 put the steering wheel on straight
3 set one front wheel to approx zero
4 set other to approx zero
now this is a good place to start the job...
assuming a fairly standard rear wheel drive, we shall be looking at a touch of toe in on each side. fwd normally has a touch of toe out. (static)

actually step zero is a visual inspection of what looks wrong, are there any bent or insecure components (ie bent wheel rim, or insecure rack or loose bushes)


This is not the readings I currently have and I know how to get round it.

I am just wanting to know if the readings are in the green and red BUT the larger number is in the red when I subtract the lesser number that's in the green is it still toe in as per the instructions or now moved to toe out???

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 22/3/20 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coolguyat18This is not the readings I currently have and I know how to get round it.

I am just wanting to know if the readings are in the green and red BUT the larger number is in the red when I subtract the lesser number that's in the green is it still toe in as per the instructions or now moved to toe out???

see my quick answer above. move the steering and there will be one set of answers that keep repeating.(ok ackerman will distort this slightly, but close enough)
if you know how to 'get round it' then just do so, set it up properly from scratch. you should only need to do it once.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 22/3/20 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Which ever colour has the highest reading, in your case red, that is the way the wheels toe , again red which is toe out
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Coolguyat18

posted on 22/3/20 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Which ever colour has the highest reading, in your case red, that is the way the wheels toe , again red which is toe out


So just to confirm:

The instructions state if 2 lasers hit 2 different colour zones deduct the lesser number.

The example they give is +2 OSF and - 1 NSF = 1 + Total toe.

SO

If I tracked a vehicle up the had the same as above BUT the higher number is in the red like:

+1 OSF and -3 NSF - this would then be -2 total toe.

Is that correct?

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 23/3/20 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Yes
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.