Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 13" versus 15" wheels
Stevestriker750

posted on 8/4/22 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
13" versus 15" wheels

Hi all,

Has anyone switched to 15" wheels after having the 13"?

I'm wondering what your thoughts were for road driving?

OliilO

posted on 8/4/22 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I went from 15s to 13s and it was one of the best changes I've made to the car. You would lose a lot of compliance by going to 15s.

I think the only advantage in 15s is a slightly better range of tyre availability.

peter030371

posted on 9/4/22 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
I've always used 13's on my Strikers. The difference in weight per wheel could be quite large for such little cars. A quick search on here and someone weighed a 15" wheel and tyre at 16kg. My Team Dynamics and R888r 13" combination are 12kg for the bigger rears. That's a 16kg saving, and unsprung saving at that, on a car that only weighs 525kg.

You could adjust the suspension to help with the stiffer sidewalls of lower profile 15" tyres but it's more expense. Is it worth it?

adithorp

posted on 9/4/22 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
I went the other way from 15s to 13s and would agree with OliilO.

Car felt more nimble, predictable at pace on both road and track. It also rode the curbs better on track and rougher road surfaces was more planted.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

40inches

posted on 9/4/22 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
I take it that my 16" wheels with 40 AR tyres are the reason I can't get a smooth ride over rough roads?
CosKev3

posted on 10/4/22 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
13s are the best without a doubt,handling and ride comfort.

I run 13s on track but 15s on the road to give me a bit more ground clearance

Fury1630

posted on 23/4/22 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Yep swapped the 15x7 I bought the Stylus with for 13 x 6 (couldn't buy 13 x 5.5). Much MUCH nicer to drive.
SJ

posted on 25/4/22 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Same here - 15s to 13s. Transformed the car
johnH20

posted on 27/4/22 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Very slightly off topic but what do you guys use for 13in tyres, choice seems to be a bit limited. I am on Toyo 888s ( 185/60 front, 205/60 rear ) good for track but not ideal for wet roads. I have seen some Caterhams on Avon ZZ-S ( 195/50 and 215/50 ) that look like a more all round tread.
Mr Whippy

posted on 28/4/22 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Just my 1p worth.

Personally, I’ve found that unless you are using the car to race and the car’s to top speed is rather slow like a 7, then I prefer rather cheap crappy tyres. They turn even the most boring drive into something much more entertaining while drifting round corners or sliding about. On my little Fiesta I have a fabulous set that cost me all of £50 for four alloys and the tyres… I go round roundabouts with my foot planted on the floor, sideways, it’s really great fun. I find nothing duller than a car you have to literally drive at suicidal speeds to get any entertainment from thanks to them just holding the road far too well.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.