Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Solar battery charger
number-1

posted on 16/9/22 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Solar battery charger

Can anyone recommend a solar panel battery charger for a garage with no power? I need something tried and tested to keep a car battery topped up as it won get used possibly until spring next year.

I will start and run the car a few times a month for half hour or so too

Access to remove the battery is a real PITA and a knuckle killer

Edit : It needs to be suitable to leave on a garage roof...

Any links would be great

Cheers

N1

[Edited on 16/9/22 by number-1]

adithorp

posted on 16/9/22 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I looked into them earlier this year and theres loads available. Most control the max voltage but rely on night/day to prevent constant charging. In the end I bought an Optimate solar charger Partly because its a known make but also is a smarter in sensing battery condition and charging/maintaining accordingly. It can be connected up to whatever solar panel you choose.
It comes with a plug/lead that can be permanently connected to the battery and then plugged into the charger, so that'd save your knuckles

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

ianhurley20

posted on 17/9/22 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Not quite the same - but - I bought an offcut of solar panel 300 x 300mm with + and - connections from ebay. (Wood offcuts made a frame and glued onto roof of shed/ workshop). Also a solar charge regulator from Amazon which had two USB outputs , a small LCD display which gives current voltage (£8.50) and hooked the system to a small gel 12v 14amphour battery I had bought second hand several years ago. I use it to provide lighting (6 x 3 watt chinese drl LED lights £4.50) , charging for various USB based things (cycle lights, DAB radio, mobile phone etc). The system works very well for me and although not exactly waht you are after the principles still work. (One tip would be to disconnect the solar panel before disconnecting your battery as the components need the battery load to work). I've used this sort of system for 15 years on another shed which is still going.

CosKev3

posted on 17/9/22 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by number-1

I will start and run the car a few times a month for half hour or so too

[Edited on 16/9/22 by number-1]

That's worse for the engine than leaving it six months not run at all!
You will fill the crankcase with moisture and the oil will never get hot enough to evaporate it.
You can turn it over with a breaker bar by hand if you are concerned about it seizing up,but otherwise leave it alone!

BenB

posted on 17/9/22 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
30 minutes not enough? I would imagine the engine would be well up to temp by then and any moisture long gone.
coyoteboy

posted on 23/9/22 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Mm by 30 minutes idling my car is at about 90C oil temp. And if you're doing it a couple of times a month, that should be enough to cover battery drain.

I leave my tintop for 8 weeks at a time, I just remove the negative, but I have recently installed a 20W panel on the roofrack and a charge controller in the engine bay.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.