Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dash Instruments Advice
ianr

posted on 15/12/05 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Dash Instruments Advice

I have a 1600 xflow engine with the original dials on. As I am replacing my dash I would also like to get some new dials so I can arrange them in a minimal way.

I was initially thinking of using a one of those digi dashs for all readings for space saving and neatness. (As I would like a flat clutter free dash)

I would appreciate any pointers for instruments people have bought.

At the moment it is used for road use only.

Does anybody know if this can be done at a reasonable price and effort on the xflow ? Am i likely to have to replace all senders etc.

Also i would like to attempt this myself, given that i am a novice but can follow instructions and have a bit of common sense! Is this straight forward job or is this likely to be involved and require in depth knowledge ?

[Edited on 15/12/05 by ianr]

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 15/12/05 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Veypor is a good

http://www.veypor.com/carveypor.html

Big Stu

posted on 15/12/05 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I just got an etb digidash which is excellant. Does everything I want and more and cost about the same as a full set of new dials plus wiring is easy.
donut

posted on 15/12/05 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
This is my set up. Very minimalist and no tacho, just shift lights.

[img][/img]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
esn163

posted on 15/12/05 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Are they smiths gauges you used donut?
We're thinking about possibly using some on ours. How difficult were they to fit if they are?

Ed

[Edited on 15/12/05 by esn163]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 15/12/05 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
ETB gauges with matching blue pointers. I've been really pleased with them:

Speedo, tacho, oil pressure, water temp, fuel and volts

+ Bright 6 and a couple of switches for fan and fog light Rescued attachment 2005-10-23 Humbug dash.jpg
Rescued attachment 2005-10-23 Humbug dash.jpg

ianr

posted on 15/12/05 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Has anybody got any experiance with the Veypor product. http://www.veypor.com/carveypor.html

It is soo much cheaper than everything else. (Which is good). Can anybody see why this is not a good idea. It just seems everything i want on the dash but 1/3 of the price of any other digital dash.

Is this too good to be true ?

splitrivet

posted on 16/12/05 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Dont forget though that the Veypor is an American product and thier miles are less than ours so the speedo's going to be out, unless you can set it up otherwise.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

iank

posted on 16/12/05 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Is that true? I didn't think US survey miles were used for mph in the US. Maybe one of our US members can help us out.

In any case an international mile is 0.999998 of a US survey mile so I doubt it's significant (compared with normal speedo errors).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile which isn't utterly clear unfortunately.

ianr

posted on 16/12/05 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Dont forget though that the Veypor is an American product and thier miles are less than ours so the speedo's going to be out, unless you can set it up otherwise.
Cheers,
Bob

The salesman said "We are e-marked for the UK" they have a uk distributor in chippenham

Guinness

posted on 17/12/05 at 04:26 AM Reply With Quote
I'm using a Veypor VR2. 'Tis a good bit of kit, with several functions:-

tacho, speed, distance travelled, gear indicator, shift light and g meter.

They also regularly update the software adding new features. They have just added a virtual fuel gauge (with MPG, range etc) and a servicing timer which you can programme to come up on hours engine run or miles. Last update also added 4-5 different options on the display.

However it does not monitor:-

engine water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, volts, amps, etc, so you would need additional dials to cover them.

I always intended fitting the 3 gauge set from NFAuto once I'd passed the SVA.

It does however have some cool features though, data logging, 0-60 runs, staged 1/4 miles, 50-70 timer, 70-0 timer.

HTH

Cheers

Mike

Ian Pearson

posted on 17/12/05 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Never heard this one before. Their liquid measurements are slightly smaller, but the american mile is the same as ours.

iank

posted on 17/12/05 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Pearson
quote:

Never heard this one before. Their liquid measurements are slightly smaller, but the american mile is the same as ours.

The have something slightly smaller called a survey mile which is different to a statute mile, but I don't think it's commonly used (see link I posted above).

James

posted on 17/12/05 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug

+ Bright 6 and a couple of switches for fan and fog light

Really like your dashboard mate.

Even my sister was impressed and she's a jeweller/artist and a freak for aesthetic things!

If you don't mind me asking what/where are the black rocker switches from?

Thanks,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.