Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting Stuff From The States
GrahamC

posted on 29/7/08 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Getting Stuff From The States

Has anyone any suggestion sbaout how to go and get some lovely shiny (heavy) parts shipped across from the states?

I'm planning to build a sand-rail (UVA Fugitive) sort of car and am drawn to the costs of components overseas - but the shipping/customs hassle is not something I've been through before and I don't know where to start.

I would point out that DHL and FedEX were extortioniate!

Dangle_kt

posted on 29/7/08 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Containerisation. Though this might be more expensive than DHL, I imagine it wouldn't be by much, plus you can ship across 10 of them for the same price - ask to be there agent in the UK and make a bit of profit out of it.

It will be slow (sea) and will need insurance (theives)

Mate of mine does it with top end minibikes, he now gets a nice wedge of pocket money every month.

As far as import tax and VAT goes, its very complicated - it depends on what catorgory Customs places your items in, it can range from 2% to 16%, and VAT is always the normal 17.5%, all these are inclusive of P&P fee's too - so watch for that!

Importing from the US is viable when you consider the cost savings, but dont get blind sided by duty and VAT.

Syd Bridge

posted on 29/7/08 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
You need to find a 'Freight Consolidation Service'. These people put container loads together of smaller shipments. Way cheaper than any of the parcel companies.

Europa is but one of the many.

Cheers,
Syd.

BenB

posted on 29/7/08 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
The prices are nice in the states but by the time you include shipping, VAT, tax etc things get expensive.

I bought my Kirkey seats for £220 each. I could get them for £100 in the states but by the time I'd added on all the extras it was cheaper buying them from a UK supplier.....

GrahamC

posted on 29/7/08 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input chaps.

I'll look into the freight sharing stuff, Chris who was the company in Wuthenshawe?

Mansfield

posted on 29/7/08 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Cant help with the shipping question, but what are you planning?

I too have been looking at sandrails, the more I see the more I want one.

I am trying to draw up a chassis, but have yet to improve on my first attempt (which needed improving).

Have you looked at Federal (or Sinister) Sandrails? Not the classic shape but very agressive looking - bike engine in the rear and some lovely lines.

This is a nice looking fugitive:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=30&t=544738&i=0

[Edited on 29/7/08 by Mansfield]

GrahamC

posted on 31/7/08 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
I was looking for something along these lines:
http://thebuggyshop.50megs.com/sandrails/standard_travel/

In fact, it was these guys who said they'd post to the UK - if I can find a way through the customs pain.

There are plenty of road-legal UVA fugitives (although still not sure about SVA bodywork requirements) and I kind of figured I could do something similar.

I'm not after speed, that's why I have a motor bike :-) , it's more that I like the shape and am looking for something a bit different.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.