Board logo

Welding an insert into a tube
Slimy38 - 10/11/13 at 11:17 AM

I have some threaded inserts for my suspension, but I'd like to reinforce them by welding them into some tubing. What's the best way to do it? Logic would suggest the only place they can be welded is on the end, but I'm wondering whether that will actually be weaker than simply using the inserts as they are. They are to be used for the adjusters, so I believe the forces will be pulling and pushing. Does that mean I might simply pull the adjusters straight out the tube?

Any thoughts?

[Edited on 10/11/13 by Slimy38]

theprisioner - 10/11/13 at 11:46 AM

One possible solution I have used several times. I drill one or possibly 2 (is better) 8mm holes in the side of the tube and spot weld the insert to the tube then remove excess weld afterwards.

omega 24 v6 - 10/11/13 at 11:46 AM

Drill the tube sides and plug weld them.

doobrychat - 10/11/13 at 11:47 AM

slice the top and bottom of the tube.. weld insert on the end then the 2 sliced area to support top and bottom the length of the insert.. I did this when i converted my top wishbones to take rose joints..

CNHSS1 - 10/11/13 at 11:55 AM

yup, +1 from me. weld the seam as you mentioned, then plug weld a couple of holes as above

Slimy38 - 10/11/13 at 01:24 PM

Holes it is then! I just hope I don't end up going through the insert, I don't fancy having to clean up the threads afterwards.

Thank you all.

MikeRJ - 10/11/13 at 02:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Holes it is then! I just hope I don't end up going through the insert, I don't fancy having to clean up the threads afterwards.

Thank you all.

If you weld a threaded insert then the chances are high that you will need to run a tap through it afterwards.

Are these inserts for the wishbones or trailing arms so you can install rod ends for adjustment? If so, how were you planning to fix them in without welding (i.e. "using the inserts as they are" )?

[Edited on 10/11/13 by MikeRJ]

Mistron - 17/11/13 at 10:10 PM

It's better practice to cut the end of the tube at 45 degrees and weld round the cut as it gives a larger contact area and also spreads the load along the length of the bush, rather than concentrating it all around the bus at one point in its length

Al

iank - 18/11/13 at 08:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mistron
It's better practice to cut the end of the tube at 45 degrees and weld round the cut as it gives a larger contact area and also spreads the load along the length of the bush, rather than concentrating it all around the bus at one point in its length

Al

Even better to make two cuts as you get more weld on both sides of the insert.

Description
Description

Slimy38 - 18/11/13 at 10:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

Are these inserts for the wishbones or trailing arms so you can install rod ends for adjustment? If so, how were you planning to fix them in without welding (i.e. "using the inserts as they are" )?

[Edited on 10/11/13 by MikeRJ]

They are for rod ends, so yes they would have been welded anyway. I just meant either welded up as they are, or welded inside tubes which are then used to make up the wishbones.