Board logo

Locost GT40
DREWB - 29/11/04 at 09:23 PM

So here goes-I'll come out of the shadows! After building two locosts, I've built up the kit, the network and hopefully the skills, I feel it's time to move on- but to what? BEC? Mid engine?
But after Practical Performance Car's article on Graham Turners GT40, this must be the way to go, but I just can't bring myself to buy a chassis....that's the fun bit!!
So, how to overcome the first problem- chassis plans. As any internet search has been unfruitful, and I possess virtually no computer skills, do I pay a chassis designer? If so, who? Any suggestions? Do I wait for an abanboned project? Or do I just pay up and shut up?!
Anyone like minded? What do you think?
DREWB

mangogrooveworkshop - 29/11/04 at 09:32 PM

Get one of these much more exclusive than a GT40
lmp-05
lmp-05
LMP link

tadltd - 29/11/04 at 09:39 PM

That's one way to get a discount!!

Cita - 29/11/04 at 09:40 PM

Hi Drew,
GT 40... mmmmmmmm probably THE most beautyfull car ever made!
I'm certainly no expert but if you have made two locost's you surely must have confidence enough to build a midengine chassis.
The thing that would worry me the most would be the bodywork/glasswork/doors etc...and not the frame...assuming you're not gonna use a 800bhp monster in the back.
There sure must be some websites with pictures of the GT 40's frame (locost style that is)
If you have some pictures and a few dimensions you could be on your way.

Cita - 29/11/04 at 09:41 PM

Where's Jack Nicholson in that avtar Mango???????

andylancaster3000 - 29/11/04 at 10:39 PM

Just found this on e-bay while browsing, might be interested in it. May need a little work, but a good base for a shell.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9903&item=7937612488&rd=1

Andy

JoelP - 29/11/04 at 10:50 PM

i'd scratch build it. start by tacking together an untriangulated frame to hang things on, then cut and weld it until it looks right, then add some triangulation til its is strong. then start again and make a perfect version. Doing it this way would allow a lot of experimenting and testing, and wouldnt even waste too much metal.

my next project is a gt38 (like a gt40 but only 38 inches tall, rather than 40!)

mangogrooveworkshop - 29/11/04 at 11:15 PM

http://www.erareplicas.com/gt/gt.htm

[Edited on 4-12-04 by mangogrooveworkshop]

mangogrooveworkshop - 29/11/04 at 11:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Cita
Where's Jack Nicholson in that avtar Mango???????

Easy Gillbert Easy bud!

Peteff - 30/11/04 at 12:12 AM

Nick nick womp.

Volvorsport - 30/11/04 at 12:14 AM

Err a 38 inch Gt40 was built in the from of an Alfa Romeo stradale tipo 33 , i should know i was jigging the bugger (replica) before i left gainfull employment to discover fame and fortune

kb58 - 30/11/04 at 01:10 AM

I think the best compromise is to buy just the shell from some place, then make your own chassis to suit. Doing the composite yourself will be educational, but take years. Doing doors sucks dead donkey dick... Seriously, doors take an enormous amount of time, and even then they won't work right half the time. Do yourself a favor and just buy the shell.

krlthms - 30/11/04 at 05:02 AM

How fast are you planning to go in this car? I understand that the original 40's were notorious for generating lift at high speed (not good). The modern GT does not have this problem. The development team farted around with the front design to eliminate lift.
Personally, I think the GT40 is a good looking car, but it is a bit too often replicated. Now, a Miura, that is something else:beauty, class, rarity, and sex
Cheers
krlthms

phelpsa - 30/11/04 at 07:52 AM

.... and will fly past 80mph (literally)

DREWB - 1/12/04 at 07:34 PM

Cita & KB58 - I agree with you guys, the only bit I wouldn't consider doing is the glasswork - bad experience with a poorly made Kayak!

Mangogrooveworkshop - the lmp and 'Ultima looking' car are really cool, but I've been bitten by the classic lines of the GT40 and I can't be distracted from that - that's the only way for me. Although I'd show my appreciation to the auto designer of those cars if he felt like getting involved - regardless of which side of Hadrian's wall he came! Many thanks for the era pics.

AndyLancaster3000 - great find on ebay, certainly worth considering. Let me know if you find anything else!

JoelP - GT38 sounds interesting - any pics or anything else you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Could ANYONE recommend a space frame chassis that could be modified for the GT40?
Greatly encouraged by all your responses - keep up the good work. DrewB.

Glan Noye - 1/12/04 at 09:09 PM

I have been involved in the building of 2 GTD40s and complete rebuild of a third.I have also worked on several others.The chassis on these cars are very overengineered,heavy and complicated!If you could find a chassis from one of those horrible Lamborghini kits that were popular in the 80s you would have a good starting point.Most of these are very similar,I think the wheel base is the same.They also use the same suspension setup i.e.Mk 2 Granada front uprights and brakes.At the rear are fabricated steel uprights, again very heavy! Also at the rear are long trailing arms and again Granada brakes are used.I do know someone who can supply aluminium rear uprights. I think you would have to add some outriggers to the side of one of these chassis as the GT40 uses saddle type fuel tanks.Gearboxes are usually Renault units, the 21 turbo being favourite(better ratios)though I have driven one that had an Audi 6 speed which I believe came from one of the large turbo diesels.If you have any more questions send me a U2U Glan

DREWB - 2/12/04 at 06:01 PM

Glen you have u2u

dozracing - 2/12/04 at 07:30 PM

If you want a chassis designer to work with try darren@gtstuning.co.uk

I've done a bit of design work in the past, and wouldn't mind a new project.........

Kind regards,

Darren

DREWB - 2/12/04 at 07:49 PM

Hi Darren, thanks for the offer, will be in touch soon ,I did think you were interested the Cobra route but it would be great to have you on board. Our paths have crossed before, all will be clear soon. Thanks again Drew

Glan Noye - 3/12/04 at 12:36 PM

I came across this today it might provide a starting point. http://www.rorty-design.com/content/beetle...ensive%20manual and (IMG:http://www.rorty-design.com/images/Beetle_chassis02.jpg)
Food for thought,Glan.If link doesnt work try this one http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7719

[Edited on 3/12/04 by Glan Noye]

krlthms - 3/12/04 at 05:37 PM

Just read in the paper today that the "father" of the new Ford has been "retired"; he got to watch car #8 being built, and then got to take it home for a leaving present! he is building a garage for it where he will also have things such as magazine covers and blue prints displayed.
He is only 54, and says that he will be joining Carroll Shelby for "special projects"; it will be interesting to see what the pair of them will cook up.
Cheers
KT
I can't remeber his full name; Theodore ?

DREWB - 4/12/04 at 01:28 PM

Update: In the past week, and probably this weekend, I hope to find pics, links & specs to assist the chassis designer. So . . . which are considered to be the better names out there in the GT40 world? (It should be noted that this will be a new design, but it does no harm to check others out).
Principles: I intend to work within the same ones that worked so well for Ron Champion - build the best you can with a keen eye on costs (best price) - no point having the best GT40, but it never seeing the road! It must also be progressive - I don't like things hanging on, as far as financially possible. My aim is to bring the GT40 into the hands of the normal working man, ie. me, and help others to do the same. I hope the team below are going to help me do this:
senior GT40 builder, sheet metal worker, Fabricator (www.arrowengineering.co.uk), coded welder, designer, development engineer, designer/supplier, and me (www.vaspracing.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk).
Not all of the above know about the team - it'll be a nice surprise - may be subject to change, so no names! However, if you feel you can bring something to the table, pull up a chair. Many thanks. DrewB.

Northy - 4/12/04 at 08:58 PM

Just seen this thread, brilliant! I would love to build a GT40 replica but cost would also be the main issue for me. Please keep us informed.

cymtriks - 4/12/04 at 10:25 PM

try looking at ultimav12.ca and the seven.info site/files section/kitcaranalysis.doc(version2)
The first site shows how an Ultima chassis was uprated. The chassis stiffness is quoted at each change to the chassis so that the effect of each change can be seen. The kitcaranalysis.doc is written by me and shows the results of my analysis of the Locost and some general information on chassis stiffness. I do structural analysis using finite element analysis for a living at RR btw.

If you post your ideas on this forum I'm sure you'll get some friendly advice.

DREWB - 5/12/04 at 05:33 PM

Cita , thanks for the u2u and yes I do intent to keep this forum up to date, with regard to the "team" however ... does the sound like a but?? well it shouldn't because enthusiasm and willingness goes a long way in my book ( ten pressed men and all that) we will gladly find some thing for you to contribute, Thanks again. Drew

DREWB - 5/12/04 at 05:42 PM

Cymtriks, you must be mighty proud of that work!! In fact its been checked out by me a number of times in the past, I'll ensure that we put the new chassis on the forum then sit in a dark corner
Drew

Northy - 5/12/04 at 05:59 PM

DREWB,

Where's W-ton Cumbria?

Cita - 5/12/04 at 06:37 PM

DREWB - 5/12/04 at 08:35 PM

You can't call yourself NORTHY ,yer from down south mate! Workington is on the west coast between Whitehaven and Maryport 32 miles south of Carlisle. Hope that helps.
CITA looking forward to checking file problem with software at the moment!!
Drew

Northy - 5/12/04 at 09:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DREWB
You can't call yourself NORTHY ,yer from down south mate! Workington is on the west coast between Whitehaven and Maryport 32 miles south of Carlisle. Hope that helps.

Ah, yes.

Not too far away then, if I can help let me know!

DREWB - 5/12/04 at 09:51 PM

Thanks Cita OK Northy
To assist in engine bay design dimensions for the 302 sbf- Audi trans 5/6 speed(radio's would be a bonus) as anyone made an adaptor plate for the above?
Which type of pedal box floor or hang, and from where? Drew

racer56 - 5/12/04 at 10:36 PM

Mr B., try here for some basic package info on the engines.
I'm guessing, but the weight seems to be for the bare engine (ie. no accessories) so allow a bit more for the weight of those, and also the length they will add.

Some broad detail on the vehicle dimensions are:

Wheelbase 95in. 2413mm

Track Front 55in. 1397mm

Rear 55in. 1397mm

Overall Dimensions

Length 168in. 4265mm

Width 70in 1778mm

Height 40.5in 1028.7mm

Miscellaneous Heights

Base of Windscreen 28.25in 717mm

Top of Windscreen 39.2in 970.3mm

Top of Steering Wheel 31.35in 796.3mm

Minimum Ground Clearance 4in 101.6mm

Weight (Oil and water, no fuel)

Front 920 lbs 414kg.

Rear 1080 lbs 486kg.

Total 2000 lbs 900kg.

The Ford GT40 employs a semi-monocoque construction of 0.024 in. (0.61 mm) steel. Hinged front and rear panel sections and doors are of reinforced fibre glass.

Allow space on the arches for wheels this size:

Front 6.5 x 15in.

Rear 8.00 x 15in.

I assume you have checked out these pics already?

http://www.gt40club.clara.net/kvaphotos.htm

List of parts used in kits (good for getting some other dimensions from) here:

http://www.gt40club.clara.net/technics.htm

Cheers

theotherpartofVASPracing!

Cita - 6/12/04 at 08:05 PM

It's surprising but a lookalike of the Ford GT can be build around a basic locost frame,given some modifications ofcourse.

rossco - 7/12/04 at 07:33 AM

I may be able to help. I've built a replica and I race it.
Ross
ps how do you post pics on this forum?

DREWB - 7/12/04 at 10:04 AM

Welcome Rossco, not sure about the pic's I'am sure someone will help, do you still have the GT40, as some additional measurements would be helpful at this stage, which motor/tbox did you run. Welcome again Drew

rossco - 7/12/04 at 12:39 PM

Check my website www.abbeysound.com.au/ross' cars
Ross

JoelP - 7/12/04 at 12:43 PM

http://www.abbeysound.com.au/ross'scars.htm

DREWB - 7/12/04 at 06:45 PM

Hi Rossco, top job did you buy in your chassis? Like the rear up-rights are they from the land down under, do you have any pic's of bare chassis? Now starting to clear work space in shop and awaiting chassis plans, great site, Cheers Drew

krlthms - 7/12/04 at 07:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
http://www.abbeysound.com.au/ross'scars.htm

Wow,
Those big V8's and ZF boxes look so muscular and kinetic.
The crossing over headers look pretty intimidating.
KT

JoelP - 7/12/04 at 07:49 PM

his link, not mine...

i particularly liked the pics of the rear suspension. nice

krlthms - 7/12/04 at 09:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by racer56

Height 40.5in 1028.7mm

GT 40.5?

Rorty - 8/12/04 at 02:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rossco
Check my website www.abbeysound.com.au/ross' cars
Ross

What are "dove" joints?

rossco - 8/12/04 at 09:07 AM

Rorty have you never heard of dove joints? Well I haven't either so I'd better explain. I had an employee set up my website and not being a petrol head like me, there is the inevitable typo here and there. Please replace Dove with Rose.
Drew I bought a rolling chassis and sep body From Roaring Forties and completed the build from there. The rear uprights were supplied as part of the deal. I'll see if I can find some good shots of the bare chassis. The good news is the front uprights and rack are cortina. The chassis is almost exclusively RHS so nothing tricky in that dept. Motor is 302 Ford with alloy heads and motec injection. I won't frighten you with how much money has gone into it because I'm too scared to count it.
However constructing a chassis may not cost much more than the locost.
Glad you guys like the website, must update it.
Ross

kb58 - 8/12/04 at 03:29 PM

Yeah if you don't stay with stock parts it can cost a fortune... and who's going to stick with a stock engine, wheels, and tires? On a car like a GT-40, you just *have* to do some engine work and give it nice wheels and tires, and big brakes. Just those parts alone can cost $10K-25K.

krlthms - 8/12/04 at 06:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rossco
Rorty have you never heard of dove joints? Well I haven't either so I'd better explain. I had an employee set up my website and not being a petrol head like me, there is the inevitable typo here and there. Please replace Dove with Rose.
Drew I bought a rolling chassis and sep body From Roaring Forties and completed the build from there. The rear uprights were supplied as part of the deal. I'll see if I can find some good shots of the bare chassis. The good news is the front uprights and rack are cortina. The chassis is almost exclusively RHS so nothing tricky in that dept. Motor is 302 Ford with alloy heads and motec injection. I won't frighten you with how much money has gone into it because I'm too scared to count it.
However constructing a chassis may not cost much more than the locost.
Glad you guys like the website, must update it.
Ross

Hello Ross,
C'mon, scare me!
How much for the headers? Do the right and left one come apart when you unbolt them, or are they intertwined when made? Why?
Very beautiful GT40 by the way, enjoy
Cheers

KT

kb58 - 8/12/04 at 08:43 PM

I was meaning to ask that too, just how the headers are mounted to the engine. The pictures appear to show one huge header assembly. How do you get the flanges into position. Is it really two parts?

rossco - 9/12/04 at 06:50 AM

The headers cost me approx A$2500 and were made by a very talented fabricator.He wanted to sand his tig welds down and I wouldn't let him, cause they look so good.Oh yes I had them coated inside and out too and that cost another$500. I hope I'm not boring you, or explaining things you already know but the headers are known as a crossover or 180 degree type. What this means on the v8 cylinder 2&3 and 6&7 crossover to the opposite collector and this is what gives the GT40 it's wonderful exhaust note. The collectors are removeable from the primary pipes and then the primary pipes can be removed one by one but only in the appropriate order. By the way I'm building a Locost because I wanted to build a car from scratch and I'm in the Lotus club.
Ross

DREWB - 9/12/04 at 10:02 AM

Rossco are you getting your u2u's Drew

Rorty - 10/12/04 at 04:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Glan Noye
I came across this today it might provide a starting point. http://www.rorty-design.com/content/beetle...ensive%20manual and (IMG:http://www.rorty-design.com/images/Beetle_chassis02.jpg)
Food for thought,Glan.If link doesnt work try this one http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7719

I was just informed of this site which is run by a bloke who bought one of my old mid-engine chassis for his GT40.
LINK.

DREWB - 11/12/04 at 07:28 PM

Hey Rorty, great links & photo's that mid engine chassis looked real strong, why not do a updated version solelly for the GT40? The adapter plate looked very tidy too, what thickness plate was used & any top tip on how to do? thanks Drew

Rorty - 12/12/04 at 12:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DREWB
Hey Rorty, great links & photo's that mid engine chassis looked real strong, why not do a updated version solelly for the GT40? The adapter plate looked very tidy too, what thickness plate was used & any top tip on how to do? thanks Drew

I'm currently talking to a bloke in the US about designing a dedicated GT40 chassis. Depending on how he wants to handle it, the plans may be available later.

Cita - 12/12/04 at 08:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
quote:
Originally posted by DREWB The adapter plate looked very tidy too, what thickness plate was used & any top tip on how to do? thanks Drew

Depending on how he wants to handle it, the plans may be available later.

Obviously no top tip here Drew

racer56 - 12/12/04 at 10:56 AM

Popular thread huh!
The link for the engine dimensions that didn't work out in my earlier posting is
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/engine.html
For performance engine bits for these things, it can get a little pricey, but it doesn't have to. Go to www.eBay.com and search on Ford smallblock, or the ci (302, 351 etc). There is tons of stuff. The trick is getting it to the UK cheaply.

DREWB - 12/12/04 at 01:03 PM

play nice Cita Iam sure Rorty thinking about it,
Racer56 sorry to hear about your blood pressure, perhaps you need to take up raceing again oops no car, thanks for link printed it off to take with me on Monday, two panels in for repair, they said will push on with them, as long as it's raining, fair bet in Cumbria. Cheers Drew

DREWB - 13/12/04 at 09:30 AM

Rossco you have u2u

racer56 - 17/12/04 at 01:08 AM

So whats happened? Everybody lost interest? Anything happening?

Glan Noye - 17/12/04 at 09:06 AM

Apparently there is an article on a scratch built GT40 in the January issue of Hot Rod magazine.Cant find it yet though to confirm this.

DREWB - 18/12/04 at 09:16 PM

Have't seen hot rod mag yet, however according to gt40 site its a monocoque chassis Glan, which a the moment not really locost.(but well spotted) Parts being collected no problem up to press. No, the real problem is getting hold of the numbers measurements of pick-up points etc basic measurements as the chassis will be different to others, just need to get enough info, for the designer to get it rolling. It seem, to my searches this info is'nt freely available, but not giving in ,not yet Drew

Alfalfameister - 18/12/04 at 11:29 PM

quote:

It seem, to my searches this info is'nt freely available, but not giving in ,not yet

Er... but when you do get it, you will make it freely available, yes?

DREWB - 19/12/04 at 02:51 PM

Alfafameister - In reality, no-one is going to give me a free set of plans - this I know. However, the basic measurements are merely the starting point for a new chassis. If I had a GT40, yes, I would share basic stuff no problem. I guess time will tell! Drew.

Mark Allanson - 19/12/04 at 04:19 PM

http://www.fantasycars.com/derek/cars/gt40.html

http://www.supercarsite.net/gt40_concept.htm

http://www.erareplicas.com/gt/gt.htm

Geoff011 - 20/12/04 at 12:34 AM

DREWB,

Have you noticed that the track and wheelbase dimensions for a (super)beetle and a GT40 are basically the same? This would make the Rorty chassis a good place to start...

Cheers!

Geoff.

DEAN C. - 21/12/04 at 01:35 AM

I've ben thinkling along the lines of a scratch built chassis and buying a body for a few months now especially after seeing the Practical performance car article as well.
The Gt40 has always been my favourite car and I can remember being in awe looking at a couple of genuine ones at Le mans in 1984.(now I feel old).
To find this thread with other people thinking along the same lines is a bonus,I must admit though that I've not found anything in the way of decent drawings though.
I'll watch the thread with interest,keep up the good work.
DEAN C.

Rorty - 21/12/04 at 02:03 AM

The bloke in the US I was talking to regarding commisioning plans for a purpose designed GT40 chassis and running gear has pulled out. He didn't fancy spending much money on it after all and is going to modify one of my Beetle chassis like SP has done.
So, sorry chaps, I won't be doing any GT40 chassis plans any time soon after all.

Glan Noye - 30/12/04 at 06:55 PM

Just seen this on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29750&item=4514872007&rd=1

Rorty - 2/1/05 at 01:49 AM

Here's another GT40 replica.

Glan Noye - 3/2/05 at 06:52 PM

Another Ebay offer,looks promising. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27377&item=4523410026&rd=1

krlthms - 3/2/05 at 08:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Glan Noye
Another Ebay offer,looks promising. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27377&item=4523410026&rd=1

It is nice that this might be an authentic shell, but I wonder what state it is in considering that it is over 30 years old, may have been stored for sometime, unpainted, out in the elements? Any idea what happens to GRP under these conditions? This is just for my information; I am not interested in the item and not bidding on it.
Cheers
KT

Wingnut - 7/2/05 at 02:00 PM

Wow! Just spotted this thread!

I'm currentley re-building a GTD 40 (for a couple of years). I'll agree with the comments on the GTD chassis being a bit 'clunky'. It's basically a good chassis & works well, but is also a great starting point for making improvements. After all, it's much easier to improve an existing chassis than design from scratch (IMO!)

Saying that, working from scratch would probably give a better end result as long as you havethe time & skill required. If it were me, I'd start with a body (I can give you supplier details) & work from there.

I'd be delighted to supply any info I can, if required.

I have benefitted tremendously from this web-site & would be delighted to put something back in! Keep us informed on the progress.

40inches - 17/2/05 at 05:36 PM

Drew
Had the same idea about 9 months ago I bought a KVA chassis, the A1 that used a Cortina front sub frame at the front and semi trailing arms on the rear it had been lying around for about 15 years and I paid next to nothing for it, all I want it for is to get the dimensions from it so I can make CAD drawings.
At the moment I am fabricating a jig board/chassis build up trolley and should start fabricating the chassis in about 3 months, if you,or any one else who is interested, e-mail me at davilexa50@btconnect.com I will let you have all the drawings I have made so far (not that many yet!)
If you want to know anything, no, make that everything about building a GT40 go to http://www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/Cat/0

[Edited on 17/2/05 by 40inches]

DREWB - 4/3/05 at 08:49 PM

Let me start by saying I agree, it has been too long with nothing said!! But in my defence, can I say there have been black times, trumps, depression, tears and blood! Just in this journey called Locost GT40!
The first thing I've learnt is what a great job Ron Champion did, (all be it with it some errors along the way) getting all the members to hang together. It’s not until you try to do something on a similar line that you get the sense of work and effort he must have put in! Along the way I've seen enthusiastic designers promise all, then fade away. Suppliers just vanish! Emails disappear into the kind of black holes that SG1 would be proud of!
But at last, with the help of a special few – who it must be said, tested and re-tested my metal – finally showed me the secret world of the GT40. It should also be noted that the ‘special few’ are just that, because by and large, IMHO, GT40 chaps are quite often cheque book builders, but that’s ok, we all just enjoy cars.
Hopefully from here, things will now start to happen.

DREWB - 5/3/05 at 07:26 PM

Sorry, about the above message, not at all sure were those numbers came from. However the point is, at last things are starting to happen. Drew

StuartB - 12/5/05 at 10:02 PM

How are you getting on Drew?

Clay - 14/5/05 at 06:04 PM

rosco are those individual throttle bodies with electronic injection?

DREWB - 15/5/05 at 06:19 PM

Well hello to you Stuart, and thanks for the interest, for sure things have't moved to fast in the last couple of weeks mainly due to illness, however I placed an order for the missing panels, doors, spider,dash,cills, the rest I have, but as you may recall they have some damage, this should help with chassis. I was interested to read about your new brakes going in, did you get your top hats? What's the lastest on the 016 project?
I purchased second hand wishbones to push the project on, need to find were the metalastic bushes come from hopefully the cortina or the like.
Rear uprights seem to be problem, may end purchasing them, but I'll try to make them first, so reading up about back-space it's dry as old bread!
Just purchased the new gt40 dvd from Halfords just to keep my motivation up!
Without any question, this is the most indepth project to date and the most enjoyable, and it all started with another visit to Halfords. Good to hear from you Stuart, later Drew

StuartB - 15/5/05 at 11:22 PM

I had a local guy make up some spacers and adapters to get the Sierra hubs and ST170 discs to work with the Porsche calipers so it`s pretty much all sorted up front. I`m just looking for a rack now, early Escort is looking favorite so far. I came up with a pair of Lotus Esprit S3 rear uprights for thirty quid so I`m just playing with bearings, hubs and drive shafts at the moment. When that`s sorted I`ll have the exact dimetions that have been holding stuff up and will finaly be able to get the chassis welded up, so I`m not too far off getting it up on it`s wheels, though it`s been a hard slogg for sure.
The 016 is still at prototyping at Quaife and we`re waiting for them to get a test run and get back to us. There was a brief hold up while the main shaft construction options were sorted but it shouldn`t be too far away now, all we`ve got to do is find the cheque book

Wingnut - 16/5/05 at 10:37 AM

Hi Drew,

Found this the other day, may be of interest.

http://www.gt40-kva.co.uk/construction.html

This chap has doen some really nice work on an early KVA, inc lots of fabricated parts.

cheers!

[Edited on 16/5/05 by Wingnut]

DREWB - 17/5/05 at 08:31 PM

Thanks for that, "Wingnut"-JW- you're right it's a great site! Iam thinking I'll contact him, has he seems to have some good ideas, yet again you've come up with the goods. cheers Drew

Clay - 31/5/05 at 05:20 AM

you made that frame yourself? And put the gt40 body parts over it? Where did you get the gt40 body parts from?

Wingnut - 31/5/05 at 08:56 AM

Drew,

Looks gooood! Isn't the GT40 a great shape!! One of the finest looking cars ever made.

Keep up the good work!

Glan Noye - 31/5/05 at 10:50 PM

That looks like a GTD body,what style of bonnet have you got? If you have the one with the shallow nostrils change it ,it wont flow enough air and the whole under bonnet area becomes pressurised. Also be careful which windscreen you use,the GTD one is slightly different to original. If you have a screen be sure to stand it up,it will crack under its own weight if you lay it down.If you havnt got one I may be able to get you one,need a bit of notice though as they are run off in small batches occassionaly Glan.

gottabedone - 11/6/05 at 06:02 PM

Hey Drew,
Nice to see someone not just waving a fat cheque book to buy a new toy.

One area to research may be bonding as well as riveting the permanent panels to your chassis. They will need to be chiselled off if you need to remove them!
It will add great rigidity to the chassis removes stress points and allows you to bond dissimilar metals.
I also share your love of this car, have you seen this:

http://www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=34788

Good Luck

Steve

Wingnut - 13/6/05 at 09:35 AM

FWIW,

May be worth a look...

http://www.webguy.ca/downloads/kitcarplans/kitplans.php

drmike54 - 15/6/05 at 01:47 AM

The GT40 Cad Drawings are nice . Maybe that can be my next project. Rescued attachment GT40 Frame 03.jpg
Rescued attachment GT40 Frame 03.jpg

DREWB - 14/11/05 at 07:45 PM

I’ve noticed the hits counter trundling along - over 8k hits. Wow! So it’s well past time for an update, so here goes. Let me start with a confession! For all sorts of reasons I wasn’t happy with my first attempt at a chassis, so I’ve started again with a lot more information and a clear picture of what I actually want. At this point my mk2 chassis is about 90% there.

Some of the main changes that are to be implemented will be to use a Renault box instead of the Audi, 15” wheels rather than 17” which I planned to use at first, (I now have Halibrand type 305 rears). The main reason for these changes is basically just to speed the process up and keep costs under control. The other recent purchase was the front screen, and I hope to get some AP callipers (4 pots), floor mounted Tilton pedals, SBF to Renault adaptor plate and twin servo’s.

At the moment I’m working on the chassis and locating information on how to modify the front uprights (Granada) so that the steering rack sits above the steering arms, double taper idea?! (Anyone have any thoughts?)

That’s all for now. Drew

DREWB - 3/12/05 at 12:43 AM

Hi Locosters, let’s talk rear suspension links, more to the point rod ends. Which ones to use how much and from where? Please bear in mind that the plan is to use this one as a road car only. Further, what tensile steel should be used on the threaded boss (en8)? Thanks in advance Drew

DREWB - 24/3/06 at 08:46 PM

Just a short update to those making the counter trundle on.
In the end I purchased the rear uprights, which didn't please everyone £300+ ouch! chassis all painted up, also been working on the water pipes in stainless steel, hopefully next week s/s floor and rear bulkhead double skinned. Starting to get to the interesting bits. cheers for now Drew

James - 25/3/06 at 12:46 AM

Cool!

Good to see it's coming on.

You've kind of inspired me to do one myself!

Why the Renault box instead of the Audi? I've read other sites suggesting the Audi is good for massive bhp and I would imagine they're cheap being from an Audi 80/100.

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 25/3/06 by James]

Fred W B - 25/3/06 at 04:02 PM

Sounds like you are making good progress-how about some pictures?

Keep it up!

Cheers

Fred W B

DREWB - 27/3/06 at 08:47 PM

Hi James and Fred, thanks for the interest you’ve taken. Interestingly I always make a point of reading your posts, regardless of which forum I find them on!

James more than pleased to be of assistance in helping you find a worth while project, you’re well placed in Surrey a number of the manufactures are down there including top man Lee Dawson, body man. Renault box because I got one offered with drive shafts adaptor for £100 couldn't walk past it, in fact still have two 016 boxes in the work shop.

Fred will try to post some pic’s I’ am better at building cars than computer stuff! Drew

James - 10/10/06 at 10:15 AM

So the Drew.... any progress?

Cheers,
James

Uphill Racer - 13/10/06 at 11:48 PM

ok.....so its late...im well lubed.............so Devils Advocate..............if your gonna start from scratch...................why build something that is yesterday?

Gav - 14/10/06 at 10:52 AM

Why not?

40inches - 14/10/06 at 11:14 AM

ok.....so its late...im well lubed.............so Devils Advocate..............if your gonna start from scratch...................why build something that is yesterday?

You mean like a Lotus 7 copy?

Uphill Racer - 14/10/06 at 11:20 PM

not realy, aint that what got us started?

JoelP - 15/10/06 at 12:12 AM

stick to afternoons mate, sobriety is a good thing

gazza285 - 15/10/06 at 12:59 AM

You startin'?

gazza285 - 15/10/06 at 01:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Uphill Racer
not realy, aint that what got us started?

Aint there no skool in where u at brov cos ur grama is shokin,

On a more serious note GT40s are way cool, if not the coolest car ever.

Should have been a road car, the rear is mostly Mustang Fastback, and the front is just right in so many ways. In my opinion the best looking car ever.

gazza285 - 15/10/06 at 01:11 AM

Next to the RS200 of course.

Uphill Racer - 15/10/06 at 02:34 AM

lol............this the history chanel?

gazza285 - 15/10/06 at 03:04 AM

No, its the Can Do channel, mixed with a bit of Unrealistic Ambition channel.

DIY Si - 15/10/06 at 09:51 AM

Blimey, didn't realise SpiderMan drove an RS200!

DREWB - 19/11/06 at 08:09 PM

Sorry about the lack of progress of late, mainly due to working away and moving home, on the brighter side double garage and workshop soon. Working on door hinges and hinge system for the rear clip. Having abit trouble fitting floor mounted Tilton pedals due to the length of m/clinders. cheers Drew

markal - 19/2/07 at 09:58 AM

I am trying to build a locost gt 40, its not easy, if anyone wants any advice call me, i have done it? see photo archive, regards Alan

[Edited on 19/2/07 by markal]

[Edited on 19/2/07 by markal]

James - 11/9/07 at 01:15 PM

So then Drew.... it must be nearly finished by now!

Any news?

Cheers,
James

FUORISERIE - 7/1/09 at 11:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by drmike54
The GT40 Cad Drawings are nice . Maybe that can be my next project.

I'm resurecting the thread, because I love Gt40's and if a locost version was going to be available in the future, it would be a great project to have fun with....

Do you have more of these drawings? are they yours ?

Cheers
Italo

[Edited on 7/1/09 by FUORISERIE]

James - 29/3/09 at 07:37 PM

Bump!

Drew! Are you there?

Cheers,
James