Board logo

chassis update pics
robertst - 19/7/06 at 02:15 PM

heres my chassis so far after about two weeks (a bit slow imo). what do you think about it?

Description
Description

and another
Description
Description

and another

Description
Description

SeaBass - 19/7/06 at 02:22 PM

Looking good... Have you had any banana problems or warping...

robertst - 19/7/06 at 03:23 PM

no... only distortion i encountered was with the H uprights. blew two holes in X1 and X2...

DIY Si - 19/7/06 at 03:40 PM

This might just be me, but isn't the tunnel front quite wide? Will you still have space for pedals?

robertst - 19/7/06 at 04:38 PM

JACKPOT!! you got the purpose of this thread thats exactly my worry... i sat on the driver's side and its very snug. the sierra pedal box will definitely not fit there.

i measured the width of the bellhousing and starter motor on my pinto and it gave me around 40cm for a nice fit... i want the engine to be as far back as possible... and im starting to think the gearbox might end up right beside me

DIY Si - 19/7/06 at 06:07 PM

From pics and nosing around people's cars, the bell housing tends to be mostly/entirely in the engine bay, rather than down the tunnel. That may be where things have changed. When I was measuring up for my chassis I put the bell housing 2cm/1" in front of the tunnel. This gave a nice narrow(ish) tunnel whilst leaving room for the engine. I also found that offseting the gearbox towards the passenger side gave a much needed extra 1" or 2. For reference, I had a 14.5" gap on the drivers front bulkhead with a +4 chassis. And I have a mere 8.5" gap between the uprights.

[Edited on 19/7/06 by DIY Si]

leto - 19/7/06 at 06:28 PM

You don't need the engine to be extremely far back to get a 50/50 balance. A guesstimate is center of engine block at 13 - 17% of the wheel base.

Avoneer - 19/7/06 at 10:47 PM

Did you sort the arse end out?

I'd have the gearbox in the normal place.

My Avon was about 55/45 split with box in the normal place.

MK pedals are a good option if you've limited foot room - and much neater and more compact.

Pat...

Simon - 19/7/06 at 11:08 PM

I mounted my engine 1" to the nearside to give me a bit more room. My Sierra pedal box got attacked with an angle grinder and mounted back to front with a non-Ford clutch m/c (bear in mind it doesn't go IN the footwell, but in top).

HTH

ATB

Simon