Board logo

s-type jag V6 in 2B bolted to type 9 first start
ianjenn - 17/4/12 at 08:51 PM

After much headscratching over the flywheel. Here is the first start of the duratec V6 3.0l from an s-type in my 2B. It is bolted to an uprated type 9 via custom bell housing. It is running way to rich, but I haven't a clue about an Emerald and don't have a wide band AFR, so will have to get a rolling road sorted as soon as I finish off the last few jobs and Tax.
link to first start video

hootsno1 - 17/4/12 at 09:04 PM

Snug fit got to ask where did you get the bell housing from and how much please :

theduck - 17/4/12 at 09:13 PM

That's rather snug!

skydivepaul - 17/4/12 at 11:03 PM

nice fit.
the exhausts look a little too small though?

PSpirine - 17/4/12 at 11:49 PM

Loving the fact that is' a good quality video with decent sound!

My first thought is - why did you go for a Type 9 with presumably some form of custom bellhousing and clutch arrangement when the S-type came with a manual RWD box? Even at £250 or whatever they fetch from breakers, it seems like it would have been the more sensible approach?

Just curious..

Does sound very nice by the way!

ianjenn - 18/4/12 at 06:28 AM

1.I got the bellhousing from the company that supplied morgan and noble when they used this engine. The cost was around the £250 mark or there abouts. Power Torque Engineering Ltd

2. Exhaust is 2in which is the same size as was on with the previous engine which was a zetec. There is only 3 cylinders going to each exhaust now. To keep the cost down whilst testing if this package will work, I have used the original jag manifold on the right size which is also 2inch and a mondeo st manifold on the left side as it fits better. I already had one silencer so purchased an additional for £90 and then made up the joining pipes myself by brazing up some bits from ebay. The future plan would be a custom manifold but it will double the cost of the whole build and I wanted to invest in an emerald initially. So need to know it is successful before broaching this subject with her indoors.

3. I did a lot of research on V6/gearbox combinations. The ratios in the jag box are unsuitable for kit car use and is the reason hardly anyone uses this engine in a kit car. However, this engine would appear to be the perfect choice with 240BHP as standard, is all aluminium so not much heavier than a 2.0l. Just need to drive the thing though to be sure!!!! The clutch is a standard mondeo diaphragm, cosworth plate 240mm and mondeo slave cylinder and fits easy.

[Edited on 18/4/12 by ianjenn]

Paul Turner - 18/4/12 at 08:08 AM

A type 9 is only good for about 170 bhp as standard, hope yours has been suitably modified with new gears, heavy duty shaft etc. If not get onto Steve Perks at SP Components, won't be cheap, about £1500 all in for a suitably strong type 9 box.

ianjenn - 18/4/12 at 08:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner
A type 9 is only good for about 170 bhp as standard, hope yours has been suitably modified with new gears, heavy duty shaft etc. If not get onto Steve Perks at SP Components, won't be cheap, about £1500 all in for a suitably strong type 9 box.

thanks - the type 9 is uprated beyond 240bhp already, I do mention that in my first post.

stevec - 18/4/12 at 04:36 PM

Well done I bet you had fun doing that.
Steve.

big_wasa - 18/4/12 at 04:45 PM

Thats fantastic

jacko - 18/4/12 at 05:39 PM

Very nice and interesting please give us more info about your car / engine
Jacko

ianjenn - 18/4/12 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Very nice and interesting please give us more info about your car / engine
Jacko

more detailed pictures here
detai led pics

coozer - 18/4/12 at 09:14 PM

Is it just me or is the vid an upright letterbox format..

I'll try it here...

coolbawnviper - 21/3/15 at 04:33 PM

Your conversion looks good. I am doing the same thing. I notice you have changed the intake manifold and throttle control. Have you a blog record of your build so far. Thanks
Jim

Badger_McLetcher - 21/3/15 at 04:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coolbawnviper
Your conversion looks good. I am doing the same thing. I notice you have changed the intake manifold and throttle control. Have you a blog record of your build so far. Thanks
Jim

Bit of a thread resurrection there mate. From memory he used a Mondeo ST intake manifold - there's a reasonably good build log on the RH forums.