Board logo

Stalling Problem
mistergrumpy - 21/4/08 at 09:22 PM

My latest problem started today. I received my 3rd battery this morning after a mixture of rubbish batteries and a faulty maximiser charger. Whilst I was waiting I've fitted the R1 can and cat so and when I started it up today it runs with the choke for a short while but if I leave it and the engine begins to get warm it stalls. Also if I strat it then start to rev it it strats to hold back, splutter and cut out. Could this be the jetting needing doing or summat else? I really am getting pi55ed off by this thing and ready to take the hacksaw to it Seems like everything I touch goes to 5hit, right after its trapped or cut me

matt.c - 21/4/08 at 09:23 PM

Could be crud in the carbs?

Dangle_kt - 21/4/08 at 09:28 PM

have you tired fitting the air filter/removing air filter?

You could try blowing the jets through/cleaning carb as has been mentioned.

Have you fitted new spark plugs?

mistergrumpy - 21/4/08 at 09:32 PM

Tried it with filter on and off and the spark plugs only have about an hour absolute tops on them. It ran fine before I fitted the exhaust but it has been sat for a while. During which I've done the head gasket. How do I clean the carbs out then?

Dangle_kt - 21/4/08 at 09:37 PM

I've only ever done it following a manual, as there are tons of little parts inside a carb, plus if you seperate them you have to get them balanced etc. You could try some redex or similar (bit of a bodge though) or get the workshop manual for the bike engine your using and follow the instructions.

Are all four cylinders firing? Check the headers for heat (with a glove on).

Nothing made a nest in your end can? I know it sounds daft but a mouse once decided my cbr400rr end can was a great spot for him and his family.

mistergrumpy - 21/4/08 at 09:41 PM

Aye everything's firing and there's nowt in the can. Would've benn blown out by the revving I've been doing I think. I know the jetting is going to be out at some stage but I'm not sure what to expect. I have a dynojet kit but haven't fitted it yet.

Crazy Eddie - 21/4/08 at 10:00 PM

Have you tried starting it without the choke out and then rev it.
Personally it sounds like it could be overfueling.
Take out your plugs and see if flooded.
Not great on R1 engines but do you have an idle adjuster on them (I guess you will have) if so you could try adjusting that.
Unfortunately all my answers are basic ones but it gets me by!

mistergrumpy - 21/4/08 at 10:07 PM

If I start it without the choke, well it won't, never has. As soon as I try to rev it it stalls but then so does my motorbike that I have. I did though, same as you think about altering the idle adjuster just to keep it ticking but it feels like summat else. A temperamental kind of hesitancy.

Crazy Eddie - 21/4/08 at 10:17 PM

So it won't start without the choke even when you blip the throttle just as it catches?
Ok how about under fueling then?
ie tempermental fuel pump (have you checked the flow to the carbs?)
Fuel filter blockage?(as it sounds)
Drop the bottom of the carbs off to check for sludge etc that could be clogging the jets.

mistergrumpy - 21/4/08 at 10:21 PM

Aye I think a carb clean could well be on the cards. Cheers matey, I'll probably be back with a new problem tomorrow knowing my luck

mistergrumpy - 22/4/08 at 04:53 PM

Ha ha, sorted. Idle adjuster's got it ticking over fine now

Crazy Eddie - 22/4/08 at 09:34 PM

Good stuff - like I say it's amazing how the basic things get you by