Board logo

How to Adjust Shock Collars Blistein Caterham Unit
mikeb - 31/1/17 at 02:20 PM

Helping a friend set up his caterham for the upcoming season.
I needed to adjust the ride height to get it above the minimum limit but the rear shocks seemed to run out of thread on the preload adjusters before we reached the correct ride height (only by a 1mm or 2 short).

Apparently the shock collar (the threaded bit) can be moved also, but as I haven't had the units off the car for a good look I'm not sure how to make that adjustment, any tips?

They are these units, the shock collars are the threaded pieces that are shown separately in the attached picture.

http://uk.caterhamcars.com/news/special-offer-month

daniel mason - 31/1/17 at 03:24 PM

Out of interest,what caterham is it and what tyres is he running front and back?

Nickp - 31/1/17 at 04:49 PM

Short of 'shimming' the springs it sounds like you need longer springs to achieve the desired ride height.

mikeb - 31/1/17 at 06:12 PM

Sorry not sure of tyres they are the standard spec for the class they are running in.

I've been reliability told the collars themselves are adjustable to some degree just wondered if anyone knew how to do it. Easier done off the car but can be done on it apparently, no need for different springs.

Nickp - 31/1/17 at 08:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mikeb

I've been reliability told the collars themselves are adjustable to some degree just wondered if anyone knew how to do it. Easier done off the car but can be done on it apparently, no need for different springs.

Ask the same person that 'reliably told' you maybe?

I thought they just looked like a standard coilover with one adjustment.

Dingz - 31/1/17 at 08:58 PM

When I had a similar problem I made up a spacer ring but that was about 12mm.

mark chandler - 31/1/17 at 09:21 PM

Bilstiens have a grove which big collets fit in, you may have additional groves allowing you to raise the platform. On mine I had to machine some more groves to raise the perch.

mikeb - 2/2/17 at 12:17 PM

Thanks Mark good info!