Board logo

Rubber garage floor tiles
40inches - 23/1/18 at 11:01 AM

I have some of these from Machine Mart .They are comfy for kneeling and hard wearing. I need more for the new 6metre x 6metre garage and have found these from Halfords
They look exactly the same at less than 1/2 the price I am going to buy 4 packs so will report back

JonBowden - 23/1/18 at 12:35 PM

I noticed that Costco do a big roll of garage floor protector.
Can't comment on how good it is though

SteveRST - 23/1/18 at 12:38 PM

Interested to see how you get on with the Halfords tiles. I see they get good reviews but people do comment they are quite soft. Wonder if they'd take the weight of a trolley jack / axle stands being used on them?

nick205 - 23/1/18 at 01:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRST
Interested to see how you get on with the Halfords tiles. I see they get good reviews but people do comment they are quite soft. Wonder if they'd take the weight of a trolley jack / axle stands being used on them?

Fair point - I wonder the same too.

I'd be tempted to have smallish sheet of plywood handy to place beneath a jack or stands to spread the load.

efiniste - 23/1/18 at 01:36 PM

They look identical to the ones I got from Aldi. Good for walking on but I wouldn't want to jack anything up on them, they're way too soft for that.

killerferret666 - 23/1/18 at 02:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRST

They dont. I have them.

Overall though very good for working on but if you put a jack on there it will just go through to the concrete base which to be honest is to be expected. I park my car on them as well and they have flattened where the wheels are, again, too be expected.

Overall they definitely made working on the car much easier and comfortable

40inches - 23/1/18 at 03:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by efiniste
They look identical to the ones I got from Aldi. Good for walking on but I wouldn't want to jack anything up on them, they're way too soft for that.

As said, they do deform with weight. I use squares/rectangles of 10mm ply at jacking points.
Of course individual tiles are easily replaced

jossey - 23/1/18 at 09:51 PM

Welding on cheap ones is mega dangerous. Don't ask how I know haha

Irony - 24/1/18 at 12:37 PM

Like everything in this world you get what you pay for. I was lucky to get some tiles from ecotile for free. You can drive and park no problem. I wouldnt jack or axle stand on them though. They are not cheap at £40 a square meter.

Don't underestimate the insulation properties of any foam tile expensive or cheap. If you get cold feet in your garage put some foam tiles down. It's made a huge difference in my garage.

Irony - 24/1/18 at 12:39 PM

You could put fibreboard underlay under those cheap matts and get the best of both

owelly - 25/1/18 at 04:54 PM

I had a pack of Machine Mart tiles for putting on the floor for when I'm rolling about under cars and they're great for that. I then bought a few packs from Halfords for £8/pack and they are almost the same as the MM ones but they don't quite interlock together! I have a couple in the boot of my car trimmed to fit, and I can lift them out for kneeling on when I'm poking my head under things, or changing wheels. As mentioned....if you're laid on one whilst welding, be prepared to be on fire.

furryeggs - 25/1/18 at 05:31 PM

They definitely don’t like welding... I now have a fire extinguisher