Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: car ramps for all four wheels (DIY?)
Slimy38

posted on 28/3/17 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
car ramps for all four wheels (DIY?)

I'd like to get my tintop into the air, car ramps seem like the easiest way to do it and would be high enough. But I want to get all four wheels to the same height, and the front of the car is 'incompatible' with normal ramps (the ground clearance on the bumper is too low).

So I was thinking of simply using ramps as stands, lifting the car high enough on a jack and then getting the ramps under the wheels. Seems like a reasonable plan, and it would allow me to put them under all four wheels (two at a time).

Then I thought do I need ramps at all? Could I weld something together that could hold the car up a similar height (about a foot or so).

It would be used with a 3 ton jack that can lift 520mm, so I can certainly lift it high enough to put something under the wheels, even with suspension droop.

Anyone got any suggestions, ideas, etc?

daviep

posted on 28/3/17 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Big blocks of wood, far more versatile than a purpose made stand, you can stick them in any where and stuff won't slide on the like it does when metal on metal. I've got loads of different sizes in sets, the biggest are 450mm x 450mm x 600mm

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Andybarbet

posted on 28/3/17 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Like this ?

http://www.carlift-ramp-mr1.com

Or a shorter version of this maybe ?

www.hamercarlift.com

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

owelly

posted on 28/3/17 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have four big axle stands from Machine Mart and a big trolley jack. I can get my Transit 2' off the ground with no problems!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 28/3/17 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Meh...2 long pieces of wood that you drive the car on first to raise it to the right height for the lift to work...maybe with the middle bit (where the lift arms go) being removable... simple and effective..
stevebubs

posted on 28/3/17 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Ah..misread...thought you wanted to use something like a lift to raise the car... ramp extensions might work for you.. (either make or buy) then just lift the rear end onto axle stands or another set of ramps using a trolley jack....

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/car-ramp-extensions/?da=1&TC=GS-051720001&gclid=Cj0KEQjwk-jGBRCbxoPLld_bp-IBEiQAgJaftbalcrGPHezSY8tGB4l5ZEJVL4 40tsRLQ-5F5eQYvLEaAsYT8P8HAQ

[Edited on 28/3/17 by stevebubs]

[Edited on 28/3/17 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 28/3/17 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Another solution (similar to the MR1 above) http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/8/viewthread.php?tid=105193#pid877169
Slater

posted on 29/3/17 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
You could try 8 breeze/engineering blocks, laid on their side stacked 2 high, or railway sleepers cut up to give big blocks to stand all 4 wheels on. Obviously ensure handbrake is on and in gear so car does not roll off.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Slimy38

posted on 29/3/17 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet
Like this ?

www.hamercarlift.com

I like that one!! A bit 'hicost' for me though, but definitely something to think about if funds allow.

I am wondering whether I'm overthinking things, whether Owelly's approach of four axle stands is the better option. But how safe are axle stands, is a 2 foot lift on 4 axle stands pretty stable? Is there anything that can be used as a backup? Thinking about it I have a set of four wheels that I can put under the sills, then if it does drop there would still be room for my head.

posted on 29/3/17 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
I made these that fit under the body or the wheels and lift to 500mm:-
Paul G

And with a car on:-

Description
Description

Or a more interesting car:-

Description
Description

Toprivetguns

posted on 29/3/17 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=208167

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

stevebubs

posted on 29/3/17 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
I made these that fit under the body or the wheels and lift to 500mm:-
Paul G

And with a car on:-

Description
Description

Or a more interesting car:-

Description
Description

I'm sure you can get them cheaper but.. http://www.cjautosheywood.co.uk/hyramp.shtml

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/3/17 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
tbh if it's all four wheels I just use large concrete blocks stacked 2 -3 high with wood spacers protecting the car, primitive but doesn't break, snap or tip over either. If it's just 2 wheels I'll just drive up double height ramps.

Want to build a pit some time in the garage when there isn't a car in the way...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 29/3/17 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Trolley jack and axle stands does it for me. Had most cars I've owned on them without an issue. I do have small strips of wood between the top of the stands and the car to protect the underside of the car.

spiderman

posted on 29/3/17 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
I used spare wheels to get mine at a reasonable height, see picture on left, stable and cheap, keeps spare wheel out of the way. I used a trolley jack to get them to that height, used a scissor jack to get the trolley jack underneath, must get myself a low profile jack.

Spider

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.