Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis Parts in Stainless?

posted on 24/7/17 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis Parts in Stainless?

Hi, am about 70% through making my chassis, a mid engine car, not a locost.

Will be putting some bolted chassis joints into the rear section so the gearbox and engine can be removed as a complete assembly, and to generally aid access.

Work with a lot of marine stuff in work, so naturally thought stainless would be a decent material, just to keep the area rust free, where paint can't really be added or it would get worn off.

But maybe it would be a good idea for other mounts, the shock mounts, bellcrank mounts. Too late for the wishbone tabs.

These are my proposed tube joints...

it's this X-shaped part I plan to have removable

interestingly stainless' properties don't differ that greatly from regular steel (cromo would be a different story...)
http://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/AISI-316-1.4401-1.4436-S31600-Stainless-Steel/SAE-AISI-1018-G10180-Carbon-Steel

HowardB

posted on 24/7/17 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
my 2p - Galvanized is better, using good quality steel and galvanising will protect the part and the adjacent steel work. Stainless may introduce galvanic corrosion and is typically of a lower yield strength than mild steel.

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

madteg

posted on 24/7/17 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Personally i would use mild steel galvanised bolts to stop them picking up. The last thing you want is a thread picked up/seized.
Could cover everything in copper slip but still no guarantee they will not pick up

madteg

posted on 24/7/17 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
My Stainless steel chassis is now 12 years old and still as good as when i built it, never been repaired and has not a speck of rust on it.

posted on 24/7/17 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
how could one galvanise after welding, anyone with experience of cold galvanising?
Would it wear off if there's slight movement?

Have tweaked the design so it's a mechanical 'hook', the bolt only serves to hold it together as should take no shearing load

Yes stainless on stainless fixings are often not pleasant.
Galvanic corrosion I don't think it an issue, they'd be welded together and the mild steel painted anyway

jacko

posted on 24/7/17 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
That looks a lot better when i was looking at the first photo i was thinking it should have a hook fixing
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 25/7/17 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks yeah definitely the right way to do it I think!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.