Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis refurb paint (again)
nero1701

posted on 18/1/19 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
One of the classic mags did a long term test of paints and POR15 did ok, but wasn't the best. I'll have a hunt to see if i can find the article.

Im sure it was practical classics circa 2008/2009

James

posted on 17/3/19 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Painted my chassis with screwfix red oxide undercoat 2 coats. Then 2/3 coats of Homebase exterior black gloss. 13/14 years on and it's still good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

SJ

posted on 18/3/19 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Painted my chassis with screwfix red oxide undercoat 2 coats. Then 2/3 coats of Homebase exterior black gloss. 13/14 years on and it's still good.

That's pretty much what I did. should have been powder coated but MK forgot to do it and i was there with a van to pick it up. I'm glad now because red oxide and black gloss has stood up well and can easily be re-coated when it gets chipped.

MikeR

posted on 18/3/19 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for those updates - that's a decision made for me.

Now what prep did you do? wire brush on the drill / angry grinder? degrease (with what) and then paint?

Or something different?

Degrease is a concern for me as when I got the steel 20 years ago I sprayed wd40 on it to ensure it didn't rust immediately.

(it didn't!)

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 18/3/19 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
One product that keeps appearing in Land Rover world is Buzzweld. They've done some comparisons against other major brands (including those used underwater for oil rigs etc.) - they have numerous products, and the chap who runs it is very helpful and knowledgeable. I've used POR15 products in the past and been happy, but only limited to one product from Buzzweld (that I'm also very happy with). Worth asking the question to him, if nothing else....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.