Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel tank sealer on new steel tank?
Slimy38

posted on 11/3/19 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel tank sealer on new steel tank?

As per title really, is it worth using a fuel tank sealer on a new steel tank? Something like POR15 sealer? It will be pressure tested for leaks etc, I'm just wondering from a 'belt and braces' approach.
nick205

posted on 11/3/19 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Are you concerned the tank has a leak?
Slimy38

posted on 11/3/19 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Are you concerned the tank has a leak?

Nope... well technically it has no sides at the moment, but when it's finished I'll be doing a pressure test to check for leaks.

nick205

posted on 12/3/19 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Can you not do the pressure test first and then deal with any leaks found?

It'll surely only be welded joints/seams that'll leak so see what happens first with the pressure test before adding stuff that may be unecessary.

(I've never fabricated a fuel tank myself so there may be more to it than I'm aware of)

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/3/19 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't bother, unless your welding is really bad it should be fine and if your welding is that bad maybe you should get someone else to weld it in the first place. Relying on a sealer to fix porous welds is really just adding a potential for leaks in the future.

I know 7's are all about lightness but for me given the rather flamey nature of petrol and the tank being right behind your head in a 7 or right above you head in a roll over... the penalty of a few extra kg's for a sturdy 2mm steel tank is worth it in my book and also a lot easier to do nice welds with. Do mind to weld in a couple of baffles in there first if you want to go round corners. imo the location and normal design of the fuel tanks in 7's is one of their weakest points.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.