Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost GT40
Rorty

posted on 12/12/04 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DREWB
Hey Rorty, great links & photo's that mid engine chassis looked real strong, why not do a updated version solelly for the GT40? The adapter plate looked very tidy too, what thickness plate was used & any top tip on how to do? thanks Drew

I'm currently talking to a bloke in the US about designing a dedicated GT40 chassis. Depending on how he wants to handle it, the plans may be available later.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 12/12/04 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
quote:
Originally posted by DREWB The adapter plate looked very tidy too, what thickness plate was used & any top tip on how to do? thanks Drew

Depending on how he wants to handle it, the plans may be available later.

Obviously no top tip here Drew

racer56

posted on 12/12/04 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Popular thread huh!
The link for the engine dimensions that didn't work out in my earlier posting is
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/engine.html
For performance engine bits for these things, it can get a little pricey, but it doesn't have to. Go to www.eBay.com and search on Ford smallblock, or the ci (302, 351 etc). There is tons of stuff. The trick is getting it to the UK cheaply.

DREWB

posted on 12/12/04 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
play nice Cita Iam sure Rorty thinking about it,
Racer56 sorry to hear about your blood pressure, perhaps you need to take up raceing again oops no car, thanks for link printed it off to take with me on Monday, two panels in for repair, they said will push on with them, as long as it's raining, fair bet in Cumbria. Cheers Drew

DREWB

posted on 13/12/04 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Rossco you have u2u
racer56

posted on 17/12/04 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
So whats happened? Everybody lost interest? Anything happening?
Glan Noye

posted on 17/12/04 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Apparently there is an article on a scratch built GT40 in the January issue of Hot Rod magazine.Cant find it yet though to confirm this.
DREWB

posted on 18/12/04 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Have't seen hot rod mag yet, however according to gt40 site its a monocoque chassis Glan, which a the moment not really locost.(but well spotted) Parts being collected no problem up to press. No, the real problem is getting hold of the numbers measurements of pick-up points etc basic measurements as the chassis will be different to others, just need to get enough info, for the designer to get it rolling. It seem, to my searches this info is'nt freely available, but not giving in ,not yet Drew
Alfalfameister

posted on 18/12/04 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It seem, to my searches this info is'nt freely available, but not giving in ,not yet

Er... but when you do get it, you will make it freely available, yes?

DREWB

posted on 19/12/04 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Alfafameister - In reality, no-one is going to give me a free set of plans - this I know. However, the basic measurements are merely the starting point for a new chassis. If I had a GT40, yes, I would share basic stuff no problem. I guess time will tell! Drew.
Mark Allanson

posted on 19/12/04 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.fantasycars.com/derek/cars/gt40.html

http://www.supercarsite.net/gt40_concept.htm

http://www.erareplicas.com/gt/gt.htm

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Geoff011

posted on 20/12/04 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
DREWB,

Have you noticed that the track and wheelbase dimensions for a (super)beetle and a GT40 are basically the same? This would make the Rorty chassis a good place to start...

Cheers!

Geoff.

DEAN C.

posted on 21/12/04 at 01:35 AM Reply With Quote
I've ben thinkling along the lines of a scratch built chassis and buying a body for a few months now especially after seeing the Practical performance car article as well.
The Gt40 has always been my favourite car and I can remember being in awe looking at a couple of genuine ones at Le mans in 1984.(now I feel old).
To find this thread with other people thinking along the same lines is a bonus,I must admit though that I've not found anything in the way of decent drawings though.
I'll watch the thread with interest,keep up the good work.
DEAN C.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Rorty

posted on 21/12/04 at 02:03 AM Reply With Quote
The bloke in the US I was talking to regarding commisioning plans for a purpose designed GT40 chassis and running gear has pulled out. He didn't fancy spending much money on it after all and is going to modify one of my Beetle chassis like SP has done.
So, sorry chaps, I won't be doing any GT40 chassis plans any time soon after all.

Cheers, Rorty.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Glan Noye

posted on 30/12/04 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Just seen this on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29750&item=4514872007&rd=1
Rorty

posted on 2/1/05 at 01:49 AM Reply With Quote
Here's another GT40 replica.

Cheers, Rorty.

Glan Noye

posted on 3/2/05 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Another Ebay offer,looks promising. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27377&item=4523410026&rd=1
krlthms

posted on 3/2/05 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Glan Noye
Another Ebay offer,looks promising. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27377&item=4523410026&rd=1

It is nice that this might be an authentic shell, but I wonder what state it is in considering that it is over 30 years old, may have been stored for sometime, unpainted, out in the elements? Any idea what happens to GRP under these conditions? This is just for my information; I am not interested in the item and not bidding on it.
Cheers
KT

Wingnut
Junior Builder

Posts 51
Registered 21/6/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: mid engined spaceframed road legal racecar

posted on 7/2/05 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Wow! Just spotted this thread!

I'm currentley re-building a GTD 40 (for a couple of years). I'll agree with the comments on the GTD chassis being a bit 'clunky'. It's basically a good chassis & works well, but is also a great starting point for making improvements. After all, it's much easier to improve an existing chassis than design from scratch (IMO!)

Saying that, working from scratch would probably give a better end result as long as you havethe time & skill required. If it were me, I'd start with a body (I can give you supplier details) & work from there.

I'd be delighted to supply any info I can, if required.

I have benefitted tremendously from this web-site & would be delighted to put something back in! Keep us informed on the progress.

40inches

posted on 17/2/05 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Drew
Had the same idea about 9 months ago I bought a KVA chassis, the A1 that used a Cortina front sub frame at the front and semi trailing arms on the rear it had been lying around for about 15 years and I paid next to nothing for it, all I want it for is to get the dimensions from it so I can make CAD drawings.
At the moment I am fabricating a jig board/chassis build up trolley and should start fabricating the chassis in about 3 months, if you,or any one else who is interested, e-mail me at davilexa50@btconnect.com I will let you have all the drawings I have made so far (not that many yet!)
If you want to know anything, no, make that everything about building a GT40 go to http://www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/Cat/0

[Edited on 17/2/05 by 40inches]

DREWB

posted on 4/3/05 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Let me start by saying I agree, it has been too long with nothing said!! But in my defence, can I say there have been black times, trumps, depression, tears and blood! Just in this journey called Locost GT40!
The first thing I've learnt is what a great job Ron Champion did, (all be it with it some errors along the way) getting all the members to hang together. It&#8217;s not until you try to do something on a similar line that you get the sense of work and effort he must have put in! Along the way I've seen enthusiastic designers promise all, then fade away. Suppliers just vanish! Emails disappear into the kind of black holes that SG1 would be proud of!
But at last, with the help of a special few &#8211; who it must be said, tested and re-tested my metal &#8211; finally showed me the secret world of the GT40. It should also be noted that the &#8216;special few&#8217; are just that, because by and large, IMHO, GT40 chaps are quite often cheque book builders, but that&#8217;s ok, we all just enjoy cars.
Hopefully from here, things will now start to happen.

DREWB

posted on 5/3/05 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, about the above message, not at all sure were those numbers came from. However the point is, at last things are starting to happen. Drew
StuartB

posted on 12/5/05 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Update?

How are you getting on Drew?
Clay

posted on 14/5/05 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
rosco are those individual throttle bodies with electronic injection?
DREWB

posted on 15/5/05 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Well hello to you Stuart, and thanks for the interest, for sure things have't moved to fast in the last couple of weeks mainly due to illness, however I placed an order for the missing panels, doors, spider,dash,cills, the rest I have, but as you may recall they have some damage, this should help with chassis. I was interested to read about your new brakes going in, did you get your top hats? What's the lastest on the 016 project?
I purchased second hand wishbones to push the project on, need to find were the metalastic bushes come from hopefully the cortina or the like.
Rear uprights seem to be problem, may end purchasing them, but I'll try to make them first, so reading up about back-space it's dry as old bread!
Just purchased the new gt40 dvd from Halfords just to keep my motivation up!
Without any question, this is the most indepth project to date and the most enjoyable, and it all started with another visit to Halfords. Good to hear from you Stuart, later Drew

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.