Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: new car for Wife
Blackcab

posted on 15/10/09 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
new car for Wife

Wife has a 7 year old golf, owned from new but now starting to show its age, she said she wanted a new golf same spec as she has now .... went to garage, told them what I wanted ... bearing in mind this was £12000 7 years ago ... same car today is £19000 nearly !

so she said how about a mini .... went to have a look ... decent spec mini .... £17k ...

so ... the search continued .. Found a new hyundai .. longer warranty, same spec ( sort of ) not bad looking car, free serviceing for 2 years and £10k cheaper than the golf , £8k cheaper than the mini .... I was always a bit of a car snob but with savings like that you can't turn it down I dont think

plus they offered us £2800 in part ex .. I was expecting a private sale of about £3000 - massive thumbs up for Hyundai

pewe

posted on 15/10/09 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Uncle's just bought a Hyundai and is totally made up with it.
Spec is very impressive, long warranty (6years or something), four seater with good size boot and as Blackcab says thousands cheaper than equivalent Euro & Jap trash.
Cheers, Pewe

Blackcab

posted on 15/10/09 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
I never thought I would consider a Hyundai .. but they are pretty well built, the plastics used are pretty good, its got same if not better spec as golf ...
Engine is a 1.4 and is pretty punchy ( she does about 6 miles a day )
the best feature though in my eyes is the saving that is basically a family holiday for the next 4 years ..... or a substantial wedge in my R300 fund

woodster

posted on 15/10/09 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
new car for wife ..... thought for a moment that was a new scrappage scheme
MakeEverything

posted on 15/10/09 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I had an S Coupe Turbo, which was ok, but a bitch to sell. This was a few years ago mind, and the new coupe is very nice and pretty quick too apparently.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Agriv8

posted on 15/10/09 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
have you thought at looking at seat / Skoda as some of these are golf's floorplan running gear.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Blackcab

posted on 15/10/09 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
have you thought at looking at seat / Skoda as some of these are golf's floorplan running gear.

regards

Agriv8

They are not much cheaper than VW, surprised me ! this is ordered now so will be with us in 3 weeks

twybrow

posted on 15/10/09 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcab

Without being contraversial, does she need a car at all? 6 miles a day?! Can she not lift share/cycle/walk/bus? It seems crazy to buy a [new] car that is doing such a tiny mileage each day. The wear on the engine always running with cold oil wont be good. I know the suggestion won't go down well, but can you manage with one less car?

Blackcab

posted on 15/10/09 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcab

Without being contraversial, does she need a car at all? 6 miles a day?! Can she not lift share/cycle/walk/bus? It seems crazy to buy a [new] car that is doing such a tiny mileage each day. The wear on the engine always running with cold oil wont be good. I know the suggestion won't go down well, but can you manage with one less car?

yeah - kids to school, shopping, picking me up from pub etc she does need a car - Im out most of day and it would leave her stranded ... plus I can just imagine the conversation if I would have said she doesnt need one ...

designer

posted on 15/10/09 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Fiat 500, brilliant girlie car
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kennyrayandersen

posted on 15/10/09 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I thought you were offering her in trade

If you buy a Korean car, then you deserve what you get. The initial build might be OK, but the longevity will not be. There is actually no concept of quality in the entire country, nor is there any creativity (I'm actually penning this from there -- I'm working here as an technical adviser). Look up the word catchpenny, and you have discovered the philosophy behind virtually every domestically produced product. It's stunning really, to see it first hand.

[Edited on 15/10/09 by kennyrayandersen]

Fred W B

posted on 15/10/09 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Take a look at a Honda Jazz. Wife drives one and we think it is a great car

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.