Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Custom Chassis
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 5/12/09 at 01:57 AM Reply With Quote
Custom Chassis

I would quite like opinions on the current version of the chassis for my project. Bear in mind it is larger than a lotus and expected to handle quite a bit of power (500 bhp standard).

I've left diagonals and shear panels off for clarity in these pics, but can anyone see anything horribly wrong with it? I wanted an integral roll cage, but this is proving difficult and is going to have to be welded in later!
Cheers,
Badger

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

kennyrayandersen

posted on 5/12/09 at 03:24 AM Reply With Quote
Besides the missing diagonals? Lol

Pretty much you whole aft box doesn’t line up with anything. Where do those loads go? They must be reacted in bending by the upper and lower inbd/outbd members which makes the load path softer and the stresses higher.

I also suggest rethinking the concept of the roll bars as part of the chassis as it would really ad a lot of robustness as compared to tacking something on after the fact.

Also, where is the torsional continuity from the front suspension back trough the engine compartment and onto the rest of the chassis? You might show the diagonals now that you’ve presented the basic layout (you might remove the engine for clarity).

scutter

posted on 5/12/09 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote

I feel this would be a start, plus a full cage tied into the back of the engine cradle.

Atb Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 5/12/09 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Which way does it go ??
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 5/12/09 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Steve m: Big block at the front mate

kennyrayandersen: The problem with the aft section is that that is pretty much the only shape I can get it to fit the bodyshell, I was hoping I can mitigate the bending effects by creating a sheet steel triangular brace to fit between the drive tunnel and the front face of the rear snout (inside the compartment). Also the bracing on the rear snout/diff carrier is meant to feed the loads into/from the rear corners. Not a particularly satisfying concept but the best I can think of.
I've enclosed a couple of pics of the chassis with diagonals, and an earlier version with the integral roll cage (this one is unfinished).

MakeEverything

posted on 5/12/09 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Upload the picture with all of the diagonals, as i suspect most of your responses will be regarding strength and triangulation / load issues.

As above, an integral roll cage woundnt be difficult to design. Think of a "Four Poster" Bed, and youre half way there. The main part of the cage, should be on all four corners of the cockpit, which will then allow you to design the rear and front sections.

It looks good at a glance, but the diagonals included would give a better idea.
There are a coouple of braces that i dont see necessary, but again, without the diagonals is difficult to identify their purpose.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

MakeEverything

posted on 5/12/09 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
D'oh, beat me to it.

The member at the top of the rear bulkhead in front of the engine needs bracing? If not, the rear lends itself to hinge forward at the top of the engine compartment??

Is all that metal necessary? There seems to be duplication at the rear of the engine compartment.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 5/12/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Read that backwards, i thought it was rear/Mid engine!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 5/12/09 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
To be fair I did all the triangulation in a bit of a hurry last night, some of those are to be shear panels and pretty much all of the bracing is to be something like 20mm sq section, not the 25mm I've used here.
There are a couple of points I've not triangulated- the one you spot because I'm not entirely sure of the best course (I was leaning towards a simple cross brace but that wouldn't support the members in the middle). The others is cause I missed them to be honest!
The design of the roll cage isn't the problem, the problem is getting it made (accurately), since a) I'm short of money and b) I want to make as much as I can of this myself.

edit:
I was gonna say since I changed the height of the diff carrier I've found it hard to tell which end is which myself!

[Edited on 5/12/09 by Badger_McLetcher]

02GF74

posted on 5/12/09 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
it is all fine and dandy putting in diagonals everywhere but you need t consider how you will get at the insdie corners in order to weld it.

the chassis with all the diagonals looks almsot sloid i.e. heavy and probbly has more diagonals/memebner than required.

unless you know what you are doing, then build up a scale model in balsa and see what effect the struts have. then you can go to the computer and play.

why reinvent the wheel? there are proven chassis out there - thake one of those and adjust to your requirements.

deezee

posted on 5/12/09 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Throwing all those diagonals in there kinda indicates that you have no idea where the loads and stresses are going. Looks well OTT and enormously heavy. Can't you just get a photo of a similar production frame and use it as a template to work from?

Bear in mind that if you make it as it stands, during a collision the only space for your rock hard spaceframe to go is into the passenger compartment! Most chassis are built to bend and distort to save your life.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 5/12/09 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
02GF74: Getting at the inside corners should be ok providing that I construct this in the correct order.
Weight estimates are at about 105kg with the heavy bracing, which aint too bad considering. The scale chassis idea is a good one, which I have said myself, I just want ideas atm.
Why not use/adapt a current design? Well firstly I looked at that possibility and wrote it off due to the shape of the bodyshell- it's a PITA and tbh I wish I had never got it, but it's too far down the line to change. Secondly it would kinda negate the whole designed/built by myself thing wouldn't it
deezee: I must confess I just shoved the diagonals in last night to get a bit of an idea, but I rather thought that having everything triangulated was a good thing!
There will be front and rear sections to act as crumple zones, but I take your point as to designing in weaknesses. Any ideas?

mr henderson

posted on 5/12/09 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
We can't even start to consider this chassis until we see where 4 points at which the loads are going to start towards the ground, in other words, the upper mounting points for the spring/shocks (unless you are using a rocker system).

I can't at the moment see where those could possibly be.

Also it appears that the footwells are going to extend down the side of the engine? Surely not?

gottabedone

posted on 5/12/09 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Dan,

Have a butchers at the LocostUSA site as they have fitted loads of v8's to seven and seven derived chassis. Mr H has commented on the footwells - is your chassis really this wide?

Steve

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 5/12/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
OK, I can see I'm going to have to have a bit of a rethink on some of the stuff here, but that was rather the point of posting it!
Mr Henderson: The points are rougly about the grey lines, which are the axle lines. My intent for the fronts was to put the mounts on the second vertical from the front with a reinforcing gusset connecting it to the other tubes. The rear was going to be roughly the same, but being stupid I haven't put it in there!
For the final question, yes the footwells go down the side of the engine bay. If I had any choice in the matter I wouldn't have done this, but unfortunately the dimensions of the car mean if I hadn't done that the car would only be suitable for driving by midgets like me. Unless I put the engine in front of the axle line, which I really don't want to do.
The chassis is at it's most 1.37m wide, with the drive tunnel taking up a lot of space due to the size of the gearbox (again a necessity).
Please keep the advice coming in, just keep it constructive lol.

kennyrayandersen

posted on 6/12/09 at 05:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher
Steve m: Big block at the front mate

kennyrayandersen: The problem with the aft section is that that is pretty much the only shape I can get it to fit the bodyshell, I was hoping I can mitigate the bending effects by creating a sheet steel triangular brace to fit between the drive tunnel and the front face of the rear snout (inside the compartment). Also the bracing on the rear snout/diff carrier is meant to feed the loads into/from the rear corners. Not a particularly satisfying concept but the best I can think of.

This may be a limitation to weight saving, but these areas would still either need to be gusseted or a secondary member used to ‘connect’ that to the main body. You can’t have the rear members just t-boning into the tub willy nilly and unsupported (unless those members are robust enough to react those loads in bending (which BTW, isn’t particularly stiff)).

ettore bugatti

posted on 14/12/09 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I think it is over done.
The footwell and bulkhead could be made lighter and stronger. I would fabricate a sheetmetal bulkhead with some RHS to support it.

You are now just creating the next Eifel tower.

I would make it more like a ladderframe, start with 100x50x3mm put a rollcage on it 50x2mm and construct from 3mm sheetmetal a crossmember to support the front suspension.
Then you can put a connection (round 30mm)between the crossmember and the bulkhead.

BTW are you planning to use McPherson struts at the front?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.