Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost supercharging
PAUL FISHER

posted on 23/12/09 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Locost supercharging

I thought this might be of Interest to some of you,supercharging on the cheap.
I was down at MK sportscars yesterday,where Steve Keenan was in the process of supercharging his own S2000 Indy R,already a rapid car,but still not fast enough for him,he was bolting on a 2nd hand mini supercharger he had picked up,fabricated a few brackets,purchased a few pipes and a MR2 intercooler,and all this for less than £500,he had supercharged his car.
A extra 100 to 150bhp for £500 cant be bad can it

I am sure the method and supercharger could be adapted to most other engines,as apparently there are quite a few of these mini superchargers around cheap,less than £200?
I took a few pictures.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 23/12/09 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
And
blakep82

posted on 23/12/09 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
is that it just hangine out the side of the chassis?! :O

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

PAUL FISHER

posted on 23/12/09 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
And
cd.thomson

posted on 23/12/09 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
surprises me this, theres a lot of debate on other forums about it (im interested in supercharging).

[devils advocate]
the eaton charger from the mini is adequate for small boost on a 2l engine, but remember it is used in stock form to power a 1.6l and its the first thing they ditch when upgrading to the worx setup on the mini! is 100-150hp really possible? XE owners talk about getting 50hp out of them AFAIK.

Obviously you can play around with boost with the pulley driving the s/c but you run the risk of overspeed at high revs on a standard engine - surely this problem is even bigger when you have a 9k rpm redline?!
[/devils advocate]

[Edited on 23/12/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

PAUL FISHER

posted on 23/12/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

Yes thats it,looks kinda cool, don't you think

john_p_b

posted on 23/12/09 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
doesn't really fit though does it?!

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

Humbug

posted on 23/12/09 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Even 50bhp increase ain't bad!

Hmm... wonder if anyone could help me bolt one to my 1.4 K series? 50bhp would be almost a 50% increase

PAUL FISHER

posted on 23/12/09 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
surprises me this, theres a lot of debate on other forums about it (im interested in supercharging).

[devils advocate]
the eaton charger from the mini is adequate for small boost on a 2l engine, but remember it is used in stock form to power a 1.6l and its the first thing they ditch when upgrading to the worx setup on the mini! is 100-150hp really possible? XE owners talk about getting 50hp out of them AFAIK.

Obviously you can play around with boost with the pulley driving the s/c but you run the risk of overspeed at high revs on a standard engine - surely this problem is even bigger when you have a 9k rpm redline?!
[/devils advocate]

[Edited on 23/12/09 by cd.thomson]

Yes Craig,I see your point,I don't know that much about these superchargers to be honest,we will have to see what he gets out of it when its finished,150bhp might be a bit ambitious then by the sounds of it,but maybe between 50bhp and 100bhp would still be cheap power

blakep82

posted on 23/12/09 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

Yes thats it,looks kinda cool, don't you think

yes!
wonder how he'll do the bodywork? or just leave it sticking out

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Stuart_B

posted on 23/12/09 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
hi, i am looking at the eaton m45, as said on there webiste it is enough for a 2.0, abd will produce extra 100bhp, as that is my plan once i need more power with the duratec.

looks good.

stuart

blue2cv

posted on 23/12/09 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Has he modded the ign system to retard as boost pressure increases, then at some point it has to readvance if memory serves me right, its not just a case of bolting on a horsepower box
iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 23/12/09 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
For those wondering about the body work look at the other side, I was talking to steve about it last year. Its made by using a side panel upside down and the wrong way around

djtom

posted on 23/12/09 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Mini charger is way too small for a decent 2l engine like a S2000, especially one with such an appetite for revs. The charger will just be blowing hot air as it will be operating way out of its efficiency area.

The mini engine only produces 160-odd bhp anyway, so getting an extra 100+ bhp out of an S2000 engine using the same charger is very unlikely. Something off one of the smaller Mercedes Kompressor range would be OK though.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 23/12/09 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blue2cv
Has he modded the ign system to retard as boost pressure increases, then at some point it has to readvance if memory serves me right, its not just a case of bolting on a horsepower box

Yes he already has some fancy ecu on there capable of running either a turbo or supercharger.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 23/12/09 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djtom
Mini charger is way too small for a decent 2l engine like a S2000, especially one with such an appetite for revs. The charger will just be blowing hot air as it will be operating way out of its efficiency area.

The mini engine only produces 160-odd bhp anyway, so getting an extra 100+ bhp out of an S2000 engine using the same charger is very unlikely. Something off one of the smaller Mercedes Kompressor range would be OK though.

Steve is no stranger to supercharging,he's done alot of work with them over the last couple of years,in collaboration with TTS,I am sure he's going to make it work,I will keep you all posted.

Confused but excited.

posted on 23/12/09 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget that a fair proportion of the extra power it produces will be used up in driving the thing. Abouit 40 bhp if memory serves. Would still give a +ve gain though.
Just not massive amounts.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

BenB

posted on 23/12/09 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm putting a Eaton M45 on my 1.1L bike engine and I reckon it's about the right size for some useful boost. I also worry that a 2L engine will be too big to get serious power hikes from without going into the scary degC range.... We'll see!! Just my £0.01....
dlatch

posted on 23/12/09 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
i love the idea of super charging but also feel that the eaton as shown is too small for the S2000 engine

i bet it will be junked in favour of a rotrex or similar

http://www.rotrex.com/index1.htm

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Toltec

posted on 23/12/09 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to suggest the Blower Calculator on http://www.sprintex.com.au/ as useful, but it no longer has a wide range of blowers on there just the Sprintex ones.

There is a calculator on the Eaton site, look at the bottom of the page. It is not as easy to use as the Sprintex one, but does come up with a simulated dyno plot. The plot only goes to 7000 rpm so not too useful for the Honda engine or bike engines unfortunately.

Mave

posted on 23/12/09 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
A standard 2.0 Zetec with this charger delivers 203 bhp, so that's an increase of almost 70 bhp. It is important to try and keep intake temperatures low, so better make sure you have enough cold air flowing through the intercooler.

Proof (the graph shows actual wheel bhp and torque, the estimate flywheel values are in brackets)

More info here (CLICK)
Just use google translate.

[Edited on 23/12/09 by Mave]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kennyrayandersen

posted on 25/12/09 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I really like the S-2000 engine and drive train, and I know it has been dropped in an Idy or two, but what do you have in the end? What is the ground clearance? Is dry-sumping mandatory? and Is it going to be pretty much a track car due to the ground clearance issues, or with the dry sump etc. is there enough clearance that it will fit while still giving enough clearance to make it a 'practical' road car? It certainly looks like it would be a mighty lethal combination if it can be pulled together. Also, I remember there may have been some modifications to the chassis that were required, no?
DRC INDY 7

posted on 17/2/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I was at mk last thursday to pick up my new wheels danny took me out in a hayabusa turbo 1 of 2 that were being delivered to spain the next day nice and fast if it was a bit cold

steve was there too gave him a little hand
fitting some mesh to the side panels and as paul fisher says the are half side panels that fit upside down that allow a 4 inch gap to ade cooling it also hides the super charger very neat

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

PAUL FISHER

posted on 17/2/10 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Picture update,the car is now ready for the dyno,it will be going down to TTS is the next couple of weeks.
PAUL FISHER

posted on 17/2/10 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
And
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.