Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: jaguar x type
skydivepaul

posted on 7/2/11 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
jaguar x type

looking at a jag x type for my next daily driver.
anyone had any good or bad experiences of these.
i've drove a few and also worked on a few so know a little about them

i know people say the arent a proper jag but so what!
mondeo chassis (which was claimed to be good) mondeo engine (?) jag interior

for what i want one for it fits the bill especially the estate version
looking at around 8K mark for a 2006 2.2 diesel sport

need to cover 30K miles per year, mainly motorway
decent power and handling (ok i know diesels dont get me going but with an aftermarket tuning box it will go better)
good on fuel - for obvious reasons
nice interior - i tend to be in the car for 2 - 5 hours a day
decent load space - like to be able to get plenty of stuff in when needed
be able to carry 3 bikes

at present i have a 54 plate vectra which does everything i need just sick of the sight of it

was maybe looking at a newer sri diesel vectra which is cheaper?

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

PSpirine

posted on 7/2/11 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Don't get a sport. They're the lowest spec and are frankly a bit pauper-ish.

Otherwise they're excellent cars. As said, basically a mondeo (don't expect an XJ ride/drive) but better looking and comfier inside!

Mind you, I'm certain that some other cars, whether Vauxhall, VW or BMW (estates) are probably better if you're buying with your head rather than than your heart.

*ETA: Not owned an X-type myself but work for Jag and the other half's family has a petrol Sport (sedan)

[Edited on 7/2/11 by PSpirine]

dlatch

posted on 7/2/11 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
as a drivers car i would take the bmw 3.0 diesel but for the money the x type is a very attractive option.
my cousin has owned a 2.5 v6 one for ages now and had no problems at all its been the most reliable car she has owned
i really liked the drive of the V6 but if i was buying then the diesel is a must have these days

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Poorscousertommy

posted on 7/2/11 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure about the x type as a daily driver (although i did launch the thing as a quality engineer in halewood), but the daily hack is a mondeo st tdci - same chassis, and assuming the same engine (2.2 155ps - raised to 180hp and 55mpg with the help of bluefin @ around 400quid).. As long as youre not a badge snob, i couldnt recommend it highly enough - looks good, very comfortable (in fact prefer the mondy to the jag interior - much more spacious bizarrely!). Although if ur after an estate, you may pay a bit of a premium.. Pulls like a train once out of second gear, an wont struggle til 140 - i do 30k a year an will be gutted when its time for the ol girl to be put out to pasture.. Try one, promise u wont be disappointed! Be aware tho, dual mass flywheel tends to go @ around 80k, an it will set u back a whoppin 800 quid if u go to a main stealer.. Hope it helps
skydivepaul

posted on 7/2/11 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
modeo st tdci is / was an option.
only problem is next door neighbour and guy up the street has one as well
could start an st owners club in the street i suppose

i have heard of flywheel problems on the mondeo diesel but that would also be a problem for the 2.2 diesel jag motor as well?

wouldnt need a mondeo estate as the hatch is huge (as is the vectra) but couldnt live with the jag saloon boot

[Edited on 7/2/11 by skydivepaul]

HD CCTV
IP security systems
access control systems

Confused but excited.

posted on 8/2/11 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
My mate, yes that one with the lappies, got a diesel one last year as a company ride.
Definately not a proper Jag (his words) but he was quite impressed with performance - said it pulled like a train - and mileage. He though it was a good car for the (someone else's) money.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

speed8

posted on 8/2/11 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul

for what i want one for it fits the bill especially the estate version
looking at around 8K mark for a 2006 2.2 diesel sport

need to cover 30K miles per year, mainly motorway
decent power and handling (ok i know diesels dont get me going but with an aftermarket tuning box it will go better)
good on fuel - for obvious reasons
nice interior - i tend to be in the car for 2 - 5 hours a day
decent load space - like to be able to get plenty of stuff in when needed
be able to carry 3 bikes

We have a 55 plate Sport Premium Estate as her daily driver. Had it for about 2 1/2 years and 26k miles, currently at 113k.

It's been ok but we've had some stuff needing done this year like brakes, clutch/DMF, water pump, and a few other bits and pieces. Not too expensive, except for the clutch which was £1100 at our local indy but it was the original clutch at 112k miles so not bad going I guess.

Fuel is about 38mpg average, although I do drive like a loon most of the time and she mostly does town driving. On a run to Glasgow I've seen 45mpg but thats the exception rather than the rule.

Inside is great, full leather, satnav, heated seats, heated screen, etc. Managed a few runs down to Italy, so 8-10 hours a day in the saddle. Fairly comfy for that time.

You could probably get 3 bikes on the roof or the back but not inside I don't think.

ARB bushes seem to be regulars and we're starting to get knocking from the rear suspension but all in it's been a fairly decent buy.

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/2/11 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
good on fuel these are not, know two folk who have them and they both b$tch all the time about how much they drink

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 8/2/11 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
I was the QA engineer for the X type and Mondeo in regards to the steering system.

My opinion is the Ford is rock solid and the Jag floppy wobbly. I spent most of my time at Halewood dealing with rattle and squeak problems while ford got on building nearly 7 million Mondys. running both cars over the test track the Mondeo was solid and the X type shook me to death.. then Jaguar blamed me for it! If you chopped the dash up you would see the thinner cross bar on the Jag, while the Ford had a much bigger one that was put in after the first year to deal with steering rattles. Jaguar never bothered upgrading theirs then spent the next 6 years complaining about it.

For less cash a good spec X Ghia Mondeo is better built than the X type.

I would go looking for a 4x4 estate with the 155bhp diesel engine.

Steve

steve m

posted on 8/2/11 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI,estate and its by far the best car i have ever owned

Jag looks pretty, but that is all its got over the mondeo

speed8

posted on 11/2/11 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Scrap what I said earlier.... Turbo has now gone, or at least the electronic actuator seems to have gone and by all accounts you have to replace the entire turbo as they are calibrated sets.

So, in the last year it's probably cost me about half the cars value in repairs.

This isn't limited to x-types though, mondeos suffer the same problem as it's the same turbo. Seems to be a common failure.

skydivepaul

posted on 11/2/11 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Scrap what I said earlier.... Turbo has now gone, or at least the electronic actuator seems to have gone and by all accounts you have to replace the entire turbo as they are calibrated sets.

So, in the last year it's probably cost me about half the cars value in repairs.

This isn't limited to x-types though, mondeos suffer the same problem as it's the same turbo. Seems to be a common failure.

I am amazed at the number of people who i have spoke to about these saying to me "yeah great car, the dual mass flywheel had to be replaced at £1000+"
seems a very common problem

[Edited on 11/2/11 by skydivepaul]

HD CCTV
IP security systems
access control systems

britishtrident

posted on 11/2/11 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Towards the end of 2002 Ford's DMF problems were to a large extent sorted without any acknowledgement there had been a problem.

First sign of impending DMF failure on these was usually problems with the starter drive sticking due to DMF debris.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.