Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: university 2011
Kwik

posted on 3/3/11 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
university 2011

i for one am off to university next year and i thought as there are a few others on here, we could write down our first and second choices to see if we end up at the same uni, may as well get a head start...

my first and second are

Hertfordshire: automotive engineering with motorsport (Meng)
Hertfordshire: automotive engineering with motorsport (Beng)

so, anyone else going this year? or are already at university, please post, could really help some people out

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevenB

posted on 3/3/11 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
where was this engineering choice when I went to uni in '88?

mechanical, electrical or civil. period.

Sounds excellent - like a class full of petrol heads.

Good luck on the MEng.

s

cd.thomson

posted on 3/3/11 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'm at nottingham

Craig

tegwin

posted on 3/3/11 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Im already in plymouth.... Dont know why it took me 4 years to apply to uni after sixthform... its the best thing I have done! (although im glad I took the time out to work at various other things... you appreciate being a student more

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mad Dave

posted on 3/3/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure the degree is accredited by the IMechE. Some employers will you to be a member or assist with your membership process. If not accredited then you may have to do some additional learning such as a Masters if you have no relevant experience
Kwik

posted on 3/3/11 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
all unis i have visited are accredited by ImechE...

i want to also do a Phd in aerodynamics or material engineering or research of some sort, really interests me

engineering courses nowadays are very similar but specialize in different areas, like aero, auto and mechanical are all mechanical engineering but aero and auto are applied to the different things... so really its the same course with a few different modules...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 3/3/11 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Im already in plymouth.... Dont know why it took me 4 years to apply to uni after sixthform... its the best thing I have done! (although im glad I took the time out to work at various other things... you appreciate being a student more

I went to Plymouth did composites, great fun!

Well worth it

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

speed8

posted on 3/3/11 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Already got a degree in Offshore Engineering but I'm now at Leeds part time doing an MBA.
MakeEverything

posted on 3/3/11 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Part Time at Southbank.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

eddie99

posted on 3/3/11 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Im doing motorsport eng at coventry check it out...

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
indykid

posted on 4/3/11 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
Finished a BEng in Motorsport Engineering at Huddersfield last year (won the Frederic Barnes Waldron best student prize) and doing MEng Mechanical this year, to distance myself from the 'motorsport' tag and to broaden my horizons for chartership etc.

I'd seriously look at sandwich degrees. The placement is a brilliant experience and is looked on very favourably when you come to apply for jobs out of uni. It's probably a non issue for you if you want to do a PhD though.

I had 2 years off before I went to uni and my attitude to the work was completely different to most on my course. Clearly it paid off though.

Good luck, wherever you end up.
Tom

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.