Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FS: 1985 Honda XL125R
StevieB

posted on 6/3/11 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
FS: 1985 Honda XL125R

Bit OT, but someone might be interested:

Sadly it's time for me to sell my trusty XL125R as I'll have passed my test soon and will be looking for a bigger bike.

It's a 1985 model with 15,900 miles on it.

I've owned this bike since September 2010 and since then have used it mainly for Green Laning, where this little bike has really served me very well. It's an ideal bike to learn to ride off road as it can handle all but the worst trails, and the reliability of the engine is second to none. The mechanical simplicity of the bike means that parts are easy to find and cheap to replace, as well as the bike being simple to work on.

It has tax until September 2011 and MOT till August 2011, and obviously I have the V5 in my name also.

It's in very good condition and has obviously been looked after in most of it's 25 years, and I know that at least the previous owner lavished lots of attention on it, same as I have.

After every ride out I have given the bike a full clean down and service, with all mechanical and electrical components given a coating of WD40 to keep the water out and stop the dreaded rust getting in, ensuring that the bike is always kept in good condition ready for next time.

The bike is meachinically sound and hasn't missed a beat in the time I've had it, covering 600 miles without any problems. Even after 25 years the legendary Honda build quality still shows through - the suspension still has plenty of life in it and there's plenty of miles left in the brake pads etc. too, with the engine pulling well through all 6 gears.

Since owning the bike I have fitted:

Maxxis PRO IT front tyre with heavy duty inner tube
Maxxis FIM rear tyre with heavy duty inner tube
Clutch lever
Brake lever
New chain
Spark plug
Seat cover (original seat cover is still underneath the new cover for originality)
New rear indicators (the ones on the bike were a bit shot and the incorrect type, so I replaced them with the right units from David Silver)

I also have the following spares to go with the bike:

Gasket set
Front sprocket
Rear sprocket
Brake lever
Clutch lever
Spark plug
Air filter
Owners manual (1982 print, I picked this up off Ebay as I figured it might be useful and most of the information would be relevant to this bike)
Haynes manual

There are a few scratches on the plastics here and there and some minor blemishes on the tank and wheel rims, but nothing that you wouldn't expect of a 25 year old trail bike. The inside of the tank is perfect.

I'm quite sad to be selling this bike - it's been a great bike to learn on and has earned it's place among my friends as being able to keep enough pace with their KTM's, Gas Gas's, Honda XR's etc. If I had the space I would hang on to this machine just for the sentiment - these are becoming considered classic bikes now.

Looking for £850

I'll post some pics when I figure out how it works these days

[Edited on 6/3/11 by StevieB]

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

coozer

posted on 6/3/11 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Any pics? I did my test on a XL100... a looooong time ago....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

StevieB

posted on 6/3/11 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hopefully, there will magically appear some pics below:

XL125R a
XL125R a

XL125R b
XL125R b

XL125R c
XL125R c

XL125R d
XL125R d

XL125R e
XL125R e

XL125R f
XL125R f

XL125R g
XL125R g

Peteff

posted on 6/3/11 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
My sister had one of them but hers only had 5 gears.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

StevieB

posted on 6/3/11 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
My sister had one of them but hers only had 5 gears.

That's because the 6 speed was the man's version

She must have had the 'S' rather than the later 'R', I guess.

Peteff

posted on 6/3/11 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon someone had blown the engine and fitted a CG125 in it's place. It still went well enough for a little trailie.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

StevieB

posted on 6/3/11 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
You can't fault Honda engines - they may not be the most powerful, but they go well and never let go with only the most basic servicing.

A friend ran an XL on chainsaw oil when he was an ignorant youth, with absolutely no detriment to reliability pr performance at all.

StevieB

posted on 8/3/11 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Now Sold

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.