Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tin top insurance - Elephant or Admiral -which?
pewe

posted on 7/3/11 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Tin top insurance - Elephant or Admiral -which?

The tin-top insurance is due this week.
Scraping around the various sites it looks as if Elephant and Admiral are the cheapest by far.
Does anyone have experience - good or bad - with either before I part with my hard earned?
Thanks, Pewe

mookaloid

posted on 7/3/11 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Not dealt with those particular ones but IMHO most of these companies are much of a muchness.

The differences are in the policies so have a good check that it covers what you need and that you aren't getting stuff you don't need.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

blakep82

posted on 7/3/11 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
yep, been with elephant for years, they've been pretty good to me.

i had an e30 bmw 318, paid about £400 a year with norwich union, got a e36 328, and they wouldn't insure me called elephant and they did, for £350 a year.

admiral and elephant are they same company. in fact, if you phone admiral and ask them about your elephant policy, they'll help you. i did a few online quotes, got a call from admiral, said i was already with elephant and she dealt with it and reduced the renewal price for elephant, so re-insured with them

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

rayward

posted on 7/3/11 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
as said they are part of the same group, but......

we were with admiral and an elephant insured driver hit the wifes car in a car park, which elephant sorted out in double quick time with no hassle.

when our renewal came through, admiral were loading our policy due to the non fault accident???? we switched to elephant as they didn't

hth

Ray

britishtrident

posted on 7/3/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Try LV website.
deltron63

posted on 7/3/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Elephant for me
Stuart_B

posted on 7/3/11 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
i use admiral, but will be with elephant soon, cheaper qoute for the car i am looking at buying, very helpful on the phone, phoned up to add my sister to drive my car as she need it the next day, and put her on for a year and they took of money so i was happy(did not tell my sister that)

stu

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

speed8

posted on 7/3/11 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Try Aviva (direct through their website). They are currently doing 12 weeks cover free with your policy which made them very good value for my missus insurance a couple of weeks ago.
Blackbird Rush

posted on 7/3/11 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Both the same company, switched to admiral multicar for both our cars and saved a packet.
pewe

posted on 7/3/11 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. Will give the alternatives a look tomorrow.
Whilst we are on the subject - how can Brokers continue when on-line prices are so much cheaper?
The current Broker offered a policy nearly 30% more expensive and wouldn't/couldn't budge.
Cheers, Pewe

morcus

posted on 7/3/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with elephant and not had many problems. I had a few at the begining because my Previous insurer (Aviva) gave them false infomation about my driving lisense.

In my experience so much better than Aviva who just messed me about for a whole year and get doing stupid things (Like telling me I qualified for stuff I didn't then writing me letters for proof even though I'd questioned it at the time.)

Both the same company as said above and both much of a muchness.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Liam

posted on 7/3/11 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Been with Admiral for years now - they're the cheapest for me, plus I always find them a pleasure to deal with on the phone, they dont charge silly admin charges for making changes, etc etc. It used to be the case that come renewal time, I'd get my renewal quote, and be able to find a cheaper quote by pretending to be a new customer or looking elsewhere. I'd phone up and grumble and they'd always match the lower premium. However for the last few years, for some reason the renewal quotes have been loads cheaper than I can find as a pretend new customer or elsewhere. In fact I've just renewed literally an hour ago - had my renewal quote and couldn't get to within £80 of it anywhere else! I'm so cynical of insurance companies I'd still hesitate to conclude it's genuine evidence of rewarding loyalty, but not sure what's going on if it isn't! Decided to treat myself to protected no claims for the first time this year - was only a fiver

[Edited on 7/3/11 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andybarbet

posted on 7/3/11 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Had my 1st claim in 20 years with elephant last March, someone wrote off my landrover.

I got my payout 2 weeks to the day after the accident and i got exactly what i paid for the car 18 months earlier.

They were very efficient and we got a hire car etc - would still be with them but premium went up stupidly high when i wanted to renew.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

speed8

posted on 7/3/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
One thing I noticed about quotes that I have done through Admiral was that they changed the value of the vehicle to a value that was unrealistic. If I could buy the car at Admirals valuation I would buy ten and sell them myself.

They didn't tell me they had done this, I only noticed when I went back to the quote wondering how they could be so much cheaper. Something didn't add up, and I was right.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.