Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: the best Steel Size
voteshanequinn

posted on 23/3/11 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
the best Steel Size

hi everyone.

im building a formula stye car that ive done a rough drawing which ive uploaded. but cant seem to include in a post.

i have just finised gathering some parts and m now moving on to chassis design,

i would very much appreciate if you could let me know the best type (circular or Box Section) of steel & size to use to make a still yet light chassis frame

Thanks For your help

daniel mason

posted on 23/3/11 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
This thread could get nasty! Or at least the last one like this did. Depends what you mean by best really? A box section is generally easier to manufacture and to fix to.( bodywork and brackets etc)
take a look at the last thread regarding this, and get your popcorn out.some People on seem more and more interested in arguing with each other at the moment. Hope you get the info you need and good luck!

[Edited on 23/3/11 by daniel mason]

deezee

posted on 23/3/11 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
If you're starting off, you're going to be better off falling back on what the locosts chassis uses, rather than try an reinvent the wheel. So 18 gauge, 1" box section. Also may I recommend double checking your post as I had to read it twice to fully understand why you'd want a "still yet light chassis"?

40inches

posted on 23/3/11 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Open your image from archive,copy the tag at the bottom and paste into your post.
And allow space for the Locostbuilders "watermark".

Description
Description

[Edited on 23-3-11 by 40inches]

voteshanequinn

posted on 23/3/11 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you; DM, DEEzee & 40" some useful advise

yes i appolagise i ment stiff instead of still (Spelling Grammer is not usualy a Mech Engineers strong point)

I was more intersted in the Dia/size of the steel to uses eg 1 inch Box or 1 inch Pipe. By best i mean i would like to know where the compramise is between two small ( too weak) & too big (too heavy)

thanks

deezee

posted on 23/3/11 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by voteshanequinn

I was more intersted in the Dia/size of the steel to uses eg 1 inch Box or 1 inch Pipe. By best i mean i would like to know where the compramise is between two small ( too weak) & too big (too heavy)

thanks

Like I said, most of the locost space frames are made from 1.6mm thick, 25x25mm box section. I used 2mm thick as it was easier to get hold of and only adds around 5kg to the chassis weight. Obviously you would now far more than I, being a mechanical engineer, of the strength / torsion benefits, versus the weight of the box section.

hughpinder

posted on 23/3/11 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
For a 7 style car, 1 inch box 1.5/1.6mm thick is the standard, (with some 20mmbox*1.5). If you use thinner material with a larger box, or higher tensile material, you start to get into practical problems with welding the thin sections. There are also problems with the higher tensile grades as HAZ (heat affected zone) aroud the weld may need special treatment to restore the properties of the steel. People tend to use square rather than round as it is easier to fabricate, even though nomimally heavier for a given tortional strength. If you aer going for an exoskeleton design like the atom round tube looks better. Thinner material will also be proportionally more quickly weakened by corrosion. There have been some threads where people have posted the chassis weight. I think on average a 'standard design' with roll bar/back braces and cross brace weighs about 65kg. If you go for 1.2mm 25*25 and 20*20 box (the next size down) you would save only about 7kg.

Just some things to think about
Regards
Hugh

designer

posted on 23/3/11 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Stick to the metal from the Locost and you will not go far wrong.

Apparently square is 33% easier to make compared to round.

But, a tube chassis will always look better that a square one.

Is the car for the road?

If so, why bother with the 'bath tap' pedals position, make it a flat floor.

[Edited on 23-3-11 by designer]

[Edited on 23-3-11 by designer]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 23/3/11 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you are making and designing from scratch then use 18 Gauge round tube, if you are using th crappy 16 Gauge Box that Locosts use then you might as well just buy a locost.

Whats the point of designing something properly and then comprimising on the very bae material? Renders your chassis design effort moot.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Peteff

posted on 23/3/11 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
If you are making and designing from scratch then use 18 Gauge round tube, if you are using th crappy 16 Gauge Box that Locosts use then you might as well just buy a locost.
Whats the point of designing something properly and then comprimising on the very bae material? Renders your chassis design effort moot.

It's probably the same as Westfield and Caterham use as well, it can't be that bad. If you are designing something to be built out of 1" 16g tubing then 1" 16g tubing is the best material to use. If you are designing for round tube then that is the best, a lot of the stiffness will come from the position and length of the tubes as well as what they are made from. Are you a real doctor?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Bare

posted on 24/3/11 at 02:18 AM Reply With Quote
Curiously Lotus and Caterham used 18 gauge steel ..Not 16 ga. And Round is considered better all round :-) than square.(which is good in bending, should the design be so inept as to place the tube in an unfortunate bending condition.
Round though is much harder to join neatly. Also square is easier for pop riveting ali sheet to.
Costin, in his book has a listing of tubes , relative strengths and weights.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 24/3/11 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors

It's probably the same as Westfield and Caterham use as well, it can't be that bad. If you are designing something to be built out of 1" 16g tubing then 1" 16g tubing is the best material to use. If you are designing for round tube then that is the best, a lot of the stiffness will come from the position and length of the tubes as well as what they are made from. Are you a real doctor?

Not a real Doctor but I am sat designing Parts for F1 cars as I write this. And round is definately a better base material than square if performance is your goal.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
voteshanequinn

posted on 1/4/11 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
the smallest i can find is a 30mm box with a wall of 2mm

or 27mm tube wall = 3mm

has anyone used either of these

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 1/4/11 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by voteshanequinn
the smallest i can find is a 30mm box with a wall of 2mm

or 27mm tube wall = 3mm

has anyone used either of these

Those are both waaaaaaayyyyyy to thick and rather odd sizes.

Can you not just order some CDS 1" 18SWG? Its not that expensive, you can even get it from ebay if you want it quickly.

Or you could even use seamed tube which would be cheaper and strong enough for wahat you are doing.

Ninehigh

posted on 5/4/11 at 04:42 AM Reply With Quote
Now if I remember this right box tubing is easier to weld and generally work with, while the circular tubing is lighter for the strength/stronger for the weight, but more of a pita to work with as you have to cut fish-mouths (is it?) at each end

britishtrident

posted on 5/4/11 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Most racers are a mixture ------ square is particulary handy where you have to rivet sheet metal on --- eg the floor.

Your design is going to be a very long wheel base, the structural members that the brunt of compression loads might be best made with 1.6mm (16swg) to reduce the danger of Euler buckling.

tug

posted on 5/4/11 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Damn!

I went over board with mine !

Roll over cage is 48.3cm 3.5mm thick, the two main bars are 30x60cm 3mm thick, the rest is 30cm 2mm thick.

pic of chassis in question :

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.