Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engine costs
RK

posted on 7/5/11 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
engine costs

Simple question really: how much does it cost for a new engine, suitable for a 7, including the computer, exhaust, and manifolds. I should be able to reuse the fuel pump. I am not interested in donor conversions (been there, failed).

I am thinking of having a whole package sent from the UK to Canada as my present CA18DET engine combo has let me down. No JDM. (Japanese Domestic Market) Drop in, tune and go, is what I want. I am not able to do engine mods, or programming.

Please, no string jokes. This is a serious question that has several angles. I am interested in hearing your views on what those might be! Thank you in advance.

[Edited on 7/5/11 by RK]

hucky

posted on 7/5/11 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
personally think if you are going to go to the trouble of importing etc, you would be better getting from the usa or even parts of japan?
RK

posted on 7/5/11 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
i've tried the japanese route. that is what got me into trouble, for a lot of reasons i won't go on about. USA, no. You have to understand the rear wheel drive vehicle only exists in north america in pickup trucks. If a Chev 350 would fit a narrow MK, i'd do it in a flash, but it is a very very tight squeeze. It is the absolute cheapest engine ever made though.
PSpirine

posted on 8/5/11 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
You should be able to get zetecs there surely as fitted to the Focus's? You can get a crate engine, and order a complete throttle body setup (intake) with ECU from the UK, complete with a type 9 gearbox if necessary to bolt it up to.
RK

posted on 8/5/11 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
yes, that's the sort of thing i was thinking of: something common, appropriate and not too much money. Now what would that go for?

Engine: 750 pounds of that paper with the nice lady wearing the crown
Manifold:
Exhaust:
Computer/loom:

and then Shipping/Customs duty:

There are some blanks here! I don't know of anywhere here to get Ford engines brand new, at least not for reasonable money.

James

posted on 8/5/11 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
From what I remember, you'd had so many issues with being let down so far the thing that worries me is that recently so many people here seem to have bought stuff that's not been made right and if you got it, you'd then be stuck with it and can't easily get it changed.

What about sourcing an 'international' engine that we use here and mating that to a Type 9 (Ford RWD box) with an OMEX ecu (and loom) or something. That would save you importing the Engine atleast and could check it worked ok and at least, it if didn't, you could sort it locally with your supplier. It would have to be something Omex (as an example) were familiar with so the ecu could be pre-programmed for you.

So, you must get the Duratec in Canada right? It's in both Fords and Mazdas and you can easily get an ecu for it. An exhaust manifold would be easy. The inlet could use whatever Omex recommend.

So: engine cost in Canada (or approx £500 here)
Bellhousing £200
Type 9 £100
Omex and loom £800 (I think, not gone this route myself)
Exhaust manifold £250
Inlet and manifold (Omex throttle bodies just to be easily compatible with ecu) £600
Engine mounts £50

Total £2500

What that in C dollars?

Ok, these are very much ball park figures but I assumed 'new' prices for most bits for the reliability/get on with it wishes.

Hope that helps!

James

EDIT: I forgot clutch and bits!
Bit of discussion here:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=154959

That's gotta be another £200 worth.

[Edited on 8/5/11 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

RK

posted on 8/5/11 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
That is indeed what I had in mind. Thanks for that James! The costs seem reasonable.

I haven't been complaining much lately (I'll try to correct this right now!) simply because the car is a couple of hundred kilometers away, in a performance shop, gathering dust. I even bought the buggers a cover for it, but they didn't bother to put it on.

andy350z

posted on 8/5/11 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
When I was looking about 18 months ago Omex did a package for about £3500
, for a zetec with baseline sump, throttle bodies, ecu and alternator brackets

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 8/5/11 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

try this link omex engines

a call to them explaining your issue may also help, there is also a pdf file you can download from their site that give al full list of options and prices too.

kindest regards

SeanStone

posted on 8/5/11 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
If you go the omex route I can probably get the ecu a bit cheaper than omex do it. I did work experience with them and they wouldnt budge on £600+ for the ecu, but I know another supplier who has far more competitive pricing! He might be able to sort you out the engine package too. If you're interested I'll fwd you contact details via U2U
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 8/5/11 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
mazda mx5 miata North America
you use everthing as it came in the maz and all that it needs is a sump mod.
This cuts out the problems with omexes and other expensive wizardry
Speak to DAVE on this forum....he has gone this route

RK

posted on 8/5/11 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, i considered that option, but there are still a lot of modifications involved in that. I've read Keith Tanner's book. I need a drop in solution.
hootsno1

posted on 8/5/11 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
2.3 duratec from the usa bolts to a type 9 and you can turbo it for about $2700 that would be my first choice

If a little hammer won't fix it get a bigger hammer

RK

posted on 8/5/11 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
I highly doubt it is a straight bolt up, but it is definitely in the range of what I would like. Minus the turbo though. I need to hire a shop to do it all, so I need simple.
hughpinder

posted on 9/5/11 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
There are a couple of people on here who do 'kit finishing' work - I'm quite surprised none of them has offered to source a used engine/box/ecu/manifold etc, and bolt it all together, get it running and stick it in a crate as a complete package.

Regards
Hugh

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.