Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whats this wire for?
Black Cat

posted on 2/10/11 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Whats this wire for?

I recently had to have my gearbox rebuilt. When it was taken out, I didn’t take enough notice of the wires, which came off the reversing light switch on the side of the box.

There is a green, and a green and brown cable, which come from the plug, which goes onto the reversing light switch. The green and brown cable, which is on the right, is fine but the green cable has been broken and I am assuming this needs to be reconnected up to the other green cable, but there is another cable connected onto the green cable, in this case it is yellow.

Can anyone tell me where this yellow cable goes and what it's supposed to do?

Regards.

SeaBass

posted on 2/10/11 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a standard type 9 reversing switch it depends how whoever built the car wired it.

It could be wired switched earth (ie an earth is provided to one side of the switch permanently) or switched positive (ie 12v is provided to one side of the switch when the ignition is on).

What do you get with a multimeter on each of the two wires?

As for what the wire does/goes to - who knows - provides +12v to something else in the tunnel?

[Edited on 2/10/11 by SeaBass]

Black Cat

posted on 2/10/11 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help Seabase.

Having had another look at the wires and checking out the continuity, it seems the green live wire may not be live at all, and I think the yellow wire (which is actually red but looks yellow in the photo) could be a live taken from a different circuit.

So next job is to connect up the red wire and see what happens.

Wish me luck.

chrisbeale

posted on 2/10/11 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you're in sure just cap and stow them. You don't need a reversing light legally.
richardlee237

posted on 2/10/11 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Section 29 Table 1 of the IVA Manual says that Reversing light is Mandatory

However it also says it can be operated by selecting reverse gear or a switch with a telltale

Quote Lord Kelvin
“Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in race horses and women.”

Quote Richard Lee

"and cars"

chrisbeale

posted on 2/10/11 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, didn't realise it was for iva. Mine went through mot this year without it working no problem.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.