Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What weld do I need
nik

posted on 10/3/02 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
What weld do I need

Hi!

I'm about to buy a weld. Can I manage with a small one that can weld 3 millimeter steel or do I have to buy a bigger one? The bigger ones are almost twice as expensive and I'd rather put those money on the car itself. :-)

Best regards,

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 10/3/02 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
I own a 150 amp mig, don't need to use its full power anywhere in the build, what does a decent welder cost over there ? it will cost a bit to source but use "argon-Co2" mix for gas with your welder, the results will be much better than Co2 on its own, you will need less power and the welds will look much better and be easier to put down.
nik

posted on 10/3/02 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I guess a "decent" welder cost somewhere near 200 GBP in Sweden.

Best regards,

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 10/3/02 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 150Amp no-gas MIG and it is doing the job just fine. Cost me £140 brand new.

Chris

sixteenkw

posted on 10/3/02 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
buy best mig you can afford, bigger the better. open a gas account don!t like the no gas migs
macdave69

posted on 10/3/02 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
ya pussies, use pub gas and spray wd40 everywhere first, nothing sticks and it smells lovely

Dunc

posted on 10/3/02 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Jon, flux cored wire is expensive and argoshield (CO2 argon mix) is much better, in my experience 0.6mm wire gives a nicer weld on the chassis than 0.8 or 1mm. The CO2 tends to cool the weld reducing penetration and requiring more power. 90 to 105 amp mig welders can usually deal with up to 4 or 5mm which is more than you need, unless your building a gate. Check capacity before you buy
Marcus

posted on 11/3/02 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Dunc, we used a 105 amp Sip unit. Was a little worried about welding the brackets on the axle though, but 12 months down the line they're still on!!
As gas goes Argoshield is the way forward.
Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

nik

posted on 11/3/02 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone! You've been most helpful.

Best regards,

bigdaddyadd

posted on 11/3/02 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Just a quick note spraying anything especially wd40 on the area you wish to joint is definately not beneficial to the structure of your joint, clean is the way to go you can always knock a bit of spatter off but if your joints all crack you will not be best amused nor will I ever want to travel in your car. Read a book on welding practice, but a 100amp mig is fine for the Locost build and will only really struggle when you weld the floor as Low duty cycle Naturally the old adage applies buy the biggest you can afford there are improvements in the way the wire is fed and in maintaining constant voltage during cycle but on the whole it aint rocket science just point the gun and pull the trigger bladder into some scrap going through all the settings about six on most small machines and adjust the wire speed as you go by positioning your work piece next to the set and have you hand on the dial for when you arc up you will soon get the feel for setting up. I use co2 on the mini mig simply cos its much cheeper in the extra filled bottles but read the labels on the wire it may give you specific instructions, cored wire is a rip off but usefull if you are outdoors as gas shields are blown away with very slight breezes and leave you with porous swiss cheese effect which must be ground out completely, else people will make reference to pigeons and excrement pointing at the sky and laughing and you dont want that plus your chassis may self destruct. Bear in mind it is almost imposible to not get penetration on this thin wall steel slight gaps for joints are agood things 1-2mm do a test for fusion to see that the tube rips b4 the weld gives and if thats all ok but it looks poo that's wot angle grinders were made for.
bigdaddyadd

posted on 11/3/02 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
shit I got auto edited for saying poo does that work on all profanities that's some rucking clever poo if it does lets see poo arse bollox wanker, I hope it does or chris is going to be really pissed with this post
Danny

posted on 12/3/02 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
shit , poo , poo He He
MarkD

posted on 13/3/02 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
I just bought a second hand 140amp mig welder today. It came with an empty 3 foot high, grey & white gas bottle.

I thought that you had to rent these bottles from BOC? It has a serial number stamped on it - I was worried that I may be liable for any outstanding rental charges? Can anybody advise if I will be able to get it refilled OK?

Jon Ison

posted on 14/3/02 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
not sure what gas would be in a grey/white bottle, argosheild comes in a blueish green, with blue stripes on it, as far as i am aware Co2 comes in black, i would'nt contact BOC direct but via a freindly local who as an acount and get your gas via them. There thats my bit on the subjesct.
stephen_gusterson

posted on 14/3/02 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
If the bottle is filled with helium you can give the kiddies a ballon with every ride on your car you charge 5 quid for.

Or you could inflate the egos of the 'other' moderators until they disappear into the blue with it.

I got a 100a welder and it copes nicely and has NEVER EVER cut out in continuous welding. Thats cos I fitted a fan in it.

I recon something bigger would be useful if you ever want to spot weld with it or alu weld in the future.

ATB

Steve

BTW - I have seen bigger 1kg disposable cylinders with the mini type bottle threads on em in my local large motor factors - any one else seen one that big.

(Leaving the way open for Chris to make a comment...)

Steve

interestedparty

posted on 15/3/02 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Welding supply shops sell re-fillable small (Ikg) co2 cylinders which you can take back for refill when empty. They are threaded to suit SIP and other small welders.They are made by Sealey. I got mine from Allen Welding in Swindon
Jon Ison

posted on 15/3/02 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
if its Co2 you want, go to your local pub
Jasper

posted on 16/3/02 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
There's a very little used no-gas Clarke Mig advertised locally for just £40. Are the no-gas ok, or am I better waiting for a gas mig to come up?
Devilfish

posted on 16/3/02 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've used a no gas mig for my chassis with no problems, shop around for the wire - Halfords charge £16 a reel & machine mart charge £8.
Jasper

posted on 16/3/02 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, I'll go and buy that one then, now all I need is a gene to run it!!
bigdaddyadd

posted on 16/3/02 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
gas less migs are identical (virtually) to those using gas they just aren't plumbed you can easily adapt a gas less welder to take a regulator at a later date so for £40 it's a steel the only difference really is that they use 0.9 wire mostly so have slightly bigger rolers but all spares are available especially for clarke stuff. Grey and black bottles are nitorgen aron is a turqoise type colour argo shield is the same with a white colar oxy is black there are loads you can argo shield heavy or light etc I think there is file on my pc with all the different colour codings I will post it if I can find it
bigdaddyadd

posted on 16/3/02 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
machine mart prices for welding wire are:
0.8kg reel of 0.8 o/d mild wire £3.51
0.45kg og gasless 0.9 o/d mild is £8.21
5kg of mild 0.8 is £10.52
4.5kg of gas less mild 0.9 is £46.94
You can do the maths yourself but fair to say I would buy the gasless welder for £40 and go straight out and buy the conversion to gas kit it aint much and will save a fortune you then have the option of both I think I said it before gasless is ideal for outdoors as most gas shields blow away very easily

Jasper

posted on 17/3/02 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advise, I'll do that....

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.