Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Front Lighting
RobBrown

posted on 19/9/16 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
IVA Front Lighting

Apologies in advance if this has been answered but couldn't see an obvious answer here or in Google-space.

My car has been sitting idle since pre-IVA. Therefore I'm broaching the wiring loom again for the front lights. All needs tidying up anyway

My issue/question how do you turn off the side light when the dipped/main is on? I'm I missing a specific relay for this?

I have savage switch which has 3 positions (off, side, dipped), with main on the column stalk.

Therefore my savage will still be sending a feed through even though I move it to the second position.

Anyone got a simple diagram?

Thanks
Rob

Rosco86

posted on 19/9/16 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I think your side should stay on with dipped or main beam, thats how mine is anyway and no problems at iva

My Build Thread

SteveWalker

posted on 19/9/16 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
You normally NEED the sidelights to stay on with dipped or main beam, as they are usually wired directly to the tail-lights.
LBMEFM

posted on 19/9/16 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely as above, side lights stay on when the headlights are on.
RobBrown

posted on 19/9/16 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I've mis-read the manual and a couple of threads, which is why my searching showed nothing.

So to clarify

Savage Position 1 = All lights off
Savage position 2 = Sides on (and rears)
Savage Position 3 = Dipped on - sides remain on
Stalk (flash or fixed) = Main on - sides and dipped remain on.

Rear Fog on only when dipped/main on
?

So what's a Daytime Running Lamp - Do I need to fit these in addition to side, main and dipped?

Rob

adithorp

posted on 19/9/16 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Main beam flash - side+dip remain on
Main beam - side remains on, dip goes out... unless the dip main are seperate bulbs; if dip stays on in a dual filament bulb it'll soon blow due to overheating (flash isn't on long enough for it to be an issue)
DLR's (daylight running lights) - go out when side lights on (or dim if combined unit). They're too bright for night use as side lights. They're not an IVA requirement (AFAIK).

[Edited on 19/9/16 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

RobBrown

posted on 20/9/16 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Main beam flash - side+dip remain on
Main beam - side remains on, dip goes out... unless the dip main are seperate bulbs; if dip stays on in a dual filament bulb it'll soon blow due to overheating (flash isn't on long enough for it to be an issue)
DLR's (daylight running lights) - go out when side lights on (or dim if combined unit). They're too bright for night use as side lights. They're not an IVA requirement (AFAIK).

[Edited on 19/9/16 by adithorp]

I've not looked at the switches recently - but my original question still stands then - How do you turn off the dip for mains, but leave on if just flashing? Bearing in mind the switch will still be feeding the dipped beam relay with a positive signal.

BTW - I have a single double filament bulb

SteveWalker

posted on 20/9/16 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
ISTR that on my car (Ford stalk switches) the main-beam switch simply switches the output of the dipped-beam switch between the dipped and main filaments (no relays as the donor car was designed not to use them), with flash being powered separately.

What is the model number of both your switches?

adithorp

posted on 20/9/16 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
I used toggle switches so this might not work with the Savage buttons...
I have an off/on/on that switches, sides on and then heads on (via relays). The head feed from the main relay goes via a switch over relay, which feeds to the dip when the switchover relay is not energised and to the main beam when it is. The main beam switch is an off/on and feeds to the switch over relay trigger to swap the feed from dip to main. The headlight flash feeds direct to the main beam.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

RobBrown

posted on 20/9/16 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I have an off/on/on that switches, sides on and then heads on (via relays). The head feed from the main relay goes via a switch over relay, which feeds to the dip when the switchover relay is not energised and to the main beam when it is. The main beam switch is an off/on and feeds to the switch over relay trigger to swap the feed from dip to main. The headlight flash feeds direct to the main beam.

Aha - It's the switch over relay bit that I was missing. My switches work the same as yours effectively; so I need that switch over to divert the feed once energised from the stalk feed.

Thank You.

Rob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.