Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Roll Cage continued
chris_smith

posted on 4/3/17 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Roll Cage continued

So a few weeks ago I was looking for someone to supply a flat pack roll cage - See this thread - and eventually went back to Tube bender, and tweaked the quote to just supply and bending with me collecting, a few emails back and forth, I must point out that Tom @ Tubender is extremely quick at responding, and really is processional in his approach to the customers needs and does want to help where he can to provide a great service to the customer.

all in all I was quoted £300 for supply and bending

I collected within 7 days of deposit being transferred and the quality is exceptional.

if anyone needs a cage, roll bar etc then do try Tom fully recommended

its taken me a few weeks to get round to fitting but here are the fitted pictures from today -

cage 2
cage 2

cage 4
cage 4

cage 5
cage 5

cage 6
cage 6

cage 8
cage 8

cage 9
cage 9

Description
Description

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

AdrianH

posted on 5/3/17 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris, I am wondering if you are planning on running the car in any MSA type events?

I think you could have an issue with the front roll tube/bar due to the double kink/dog leg.

If just for road then should not be an issue, hope I am wrong so you can if you do want to use it for any sprints or hill climbs.

Adrian

[Edited on 5-3-17 by AdrianH]

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

loggyboy

posted on 5/3/17 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdrianH
I think you could have an issue with the front roll tube/bar due to the double kink/dog leg.
If just for road then should not be an issue, hope I am wrong so you can if you do want to use it for any sprints or hill climbs.

No you are right, the double kink isnt blue book compliant so this would need to be a road only car.

Mistral Motorsport

mark chandler

posted on 5/3/17 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Sprints and hill climbs you just need the rear hoop.

My front hoop did not comply so I removed it, I am not sure if they look at the cage as a whole when tagging I played it safe with the rules, I am sure my front hoop offered more protection

You still need rear stays and probally a rear diagonal although with a small engine even this can be ignored.

[Edited on 5/3/17 by mark chandler]

AdrianH

posted on 5/3/17 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark

That is really what prompted me to make the comment. On mine I only have the rear roll bar and it was OK, with diagonal and back stays for both sprint and hill climb, at one of the meets a car I believe did not pass scrutineering because it had the front bar with the dog leg even though the car only needed the rear section it seemed to be treated as a whole unit, as in part of it was not compliant therefore the car was not.

It did seem a bit extreme at the time.

I note that unless road going one also needs Hans now.

Chris may only be using it as a road car anyway so my warning may not be required, I guess it should still be OK on things like track days.

Adrian

chris_smith

posted on 5/3/17 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input/info guys, I'm likely only to be using it for road use, it now has back stays, and will have a cross member where I'll have seatbelt mountings, it may be used for track days but unlikely to be used for anything more competitive than that

AdrianH

posted on 5/3/17 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris, how is it progressing?

Sorry if my post was a bit off putting but thought it worth passing on the info.

Adrian

gary gsx

posted on 7/3/17 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris

Looking good, are you using mx5 column and wheel? What sort of room have you got with legs etc and I guess that's a haynes chassis?

Ta Gary

chris_smith

posted on 7/3/17 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using Mx5 column and wheel, haven't got seats as of yet but have mocked up the seating position and looks to be pretty roomy in comparison to my old Stuart taylor

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.