Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Breakdown insurance for kit cars
johnH20

posted on 30/3/17 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Breakdown insurance for kit cars

I recently tried to add my Cyclone to my breakdown insurance on my MX5. This is with Saga and I think they use Green Flag. My request was declined - ' we cannot insure kit cars'. So who does, needless to say at a Locost price! My kit insurance is with Footman James, I do not recall being offered a breakdown policy. Any advice welcome.
computid

posted on 30/3/17 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have AA cover for any car if I'm in it. I've used it to recover kit cars, although they do have difficulty of recovery clauses if it's super low or something.

Quinten

posted on 30/3/17 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
AutoAid has recovered me and my Westfield a couple of years ago when I cracked the thermostat housing on my Zetec when the engine bottomed out. And they insure the driver, rather than the car, so all 3 cars in my home are covered by it.

wylliezx9r

posted on 30/3/17 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by computid
I have AA cover for any car if I'm in it. I've used it to recover kit cars, although they do have difficulty of recovery clauses if it's super low or something.

Same here. I snapped a camber adjuster once and told them that there was no chance of fixing on the side of the road and to send a loader capable of picking up a low car. They didn't listen and sent a van with a dolly, had to wait another 2 hours for a low loader ...

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

overdriver

posted on 30/3/17 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
I pay just under £140 for insurance on the Tiger with A-Plan. This includes £40 for breakdown cover with recovery, EU cover and homestart (!?!). Actually the breakdown element is more than I pay for the stand alone breakdown package I have for my X-type via StartRescue but the overall price from A-Plan is most acceptable.

Michael

coozer

posted on 31/3/17 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
I use AutoAid, cheap and covers every car, trailer, caravan etc...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

SJ

posted on 31/3/17 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
I need to renew ours and one of the attractive points about the AA is that they explicitly say they cover track days for road legal vehicles. If you go through one of the cash back sites you can get a significant money back as well.
ReMan

posted on 31/3/17 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
lv brittania rescue for me

any vehicle i or spouse are in, driving or not and recovery to point of choice about £120

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

russbost

posted on 31/3/17 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I get RAC cover on my bank a/c as part of our overall deal, they do cover kitcars, I have checked, but can't imagine they would be cheap - worth talking to A plan Thatcham, they are very good for kitcar insurance generally?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
yanto 1

posted on 31/3/17 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with rac. Got it with my tesco vouchers for free. I used it last yr when my clutch cable snapped. Had to explain a few times not to bring van with dolly as it was too low and to bring low loader which they did and can't complain.
russbost

posted on 31/3/17 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Coincidentally I have just had my renewal thro' from A plan, I don't use their breakdown insurance, but it is offered as an option on the policy for £44.95, which sounds pretty competitive - definitely worth asking if they do it as a stand alone policy 01635 879921

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
trextr7monkey

posted on 31/3/17 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
We use Graham Sykes for the hobby cars and there is cheap breakdown cover with it which I have taken up and used a couple of times. We have cover for any car through Marks and Spencer's but don't want to mess it up with a load of breakdowns if one of the cars became unreliable the cost of the extra cover through Sykes is minimal (otherwise I wouldn't be taking it out!)
Hth
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

johnH20

posted on 1/4/17 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input chaps. Got cover from my insurer Footman James for £50 which I thought was pretty reasonable compared with the other sites I investigated. I will now travel with more confidence, a couple of 200 mile round trips coming up soon!

posted on 1/4/17 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yanto 1
I'm with rac. Got it with my tesco vouchers for free. I used it last yr when my clutch cable snapped. Had to explain a few times not to bring van with dolly as it was too low and to bring low loader which they did and can't complain.

I too do the Tesco voucher thing. I use three of my £10 vouchers so like Yanto get it for free.

At the end of the year I get the renewal sent to me from the RAC and it's £80.
I ignore this and go to the Tesco site and pay the £30 again with vouchers. It's worked for the last 2 years.

Paul G

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

posted on 8/4/17 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Please feel free to take a look at our breakdown offering if you wish.
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/breakdown/
Regards,
Dan.

owelly

posted on 8/4/17 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
LV Britannia for me. £93 (or £74 with a discount for being in the CSMA) which covers one vehicle (and anyone driving it) and personal cover for me and swmbo which includes any vehicle we're driving or passengers in. There's a 'fair use' policy and a few exclusions but I've used them to recover us in kit cars, vans, trailers (as seen on one of Franks track days!!) and even got swmbo car home when she lost the keys!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
greenwood03

posted on 19/4/17 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
We have a family policy with Green Flag and that covers each of us in any cars, including the kit....but A Plan have a great offer on breakdown cover as an add on. I think i paid £43/44 this year and that's for International cover......

http://southernkitcars.comIntermarque Club for owners in the South/South East

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.