Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tmxr chassis and wishbones
Petemitchell

posted on 21/9/18 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Tmxr chassis and wishbones

Hi, i am new to the forum, i would like to start by saying "hello to everyone" . I am looking for advise / info from anyone with experience of the talon tmxr chassis / wishbones / mx5 running gear , i purchased and assembled the talon precut chassis kit and also bought a full set of tmxr wishbones, some time ago now, got all keen and welded the chassis up, then had to leave it until now, now i have more time available, i thought I'd start by fitting the arms and uprights etc, mainly to see how it all goes and it appears the front, top arm is too long or bottom too short and gives a massive amount of positive camber, I've checked and double checked and the chassis is all good, caster looks good but not checked properly yet, secondly as it's been so long since i bought the kit , I'm not sure what rod ends were recommended for the top arms, just to mock it up i have a pair that are m14x1.5 thread and fit the upright quite well, not sure what they are from, i had them in stock, my other problem is i cant seem to find any way of contacting Talon, not sure if he's still about ? Any help or advise with this would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks. Pete.

jps

posted on 21/9/18 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Petemitchell
Hi, i am new to the forum, i would like to start by saying "hello to everyone" . I am looking for advise / info from anyone with experience of the talon tmxr chassis / wishbones / mx5 running gear , i purchased and assembled the talon precut chassis kit and also bought a full set of tmxr wishbones, some time ago now, got all keen and welded the chassis up, then had to leave it until now, now i have more time available, i thought I'd start by fitting the arms and uprights etc, mainly to see how it all goes and it appears the front, top arm is too long or bottom too short and gives a massive amount of positive camber, I've checked and double checked and the chassis is all good, caster looks good but not checked properly yet, secondly as it's been so long since i bought the kit , I'm not sure what rod ends were recommended for the top arms, just to mock it up i have a pair that are m14x1.5 thread and fit the upright quite well, not sure what they are from, i had them in stock, my other problem is i cant seem to find any way of contacting Talon, not sure if he's still about ? Any help or advise with this would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks. Pete.

Have you tried the Haynes forum? http://forums.haynes.co.uk/index.php. Lot's of info about TMXR and MX5 based builds on there - but you tend to get more by using the Search than posting a new thread as there are not a lot of regular contributors.

I have what I believe was a Talon produced chassis and wishbones (I bought it second hand) and it's all to the right dimensions, and i've seen plenty of other feedback that the quality of his work is good.

Phil Eagle has, based on his own postings I have seen on the Haynes forum, had mental health difficulties over the years and as a result does sporadically stop work and become uncontactable. He did post on here a few months ago saying he was stopping production of Haynes Roadster parts altogether as the profit in it was negligible. Not sure if this was related to his health or not. I don't know if he's stopped his other fabrication work - I understood that he built autograss cars too. He has previously been on Facebook as Talon Motor Fabrication - but I've just checked and he is not now and his website is no longer working.

Petemitchell

posted on 21/9/18 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your reply, i will try the haynes forum, i did search through quite a lot of mx5 based stuff last night but found nothing really similar to the issues I'm having , all the bits i bought from Talon are very nicely made, he's clearly a very talented man, i could quite possibly be doing something wrong, it would be nice to look at a completed car , if there was anyone near'ish to me that wouldn'tmind me looking ?
voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 21/9/18 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I second JPS: try to register and post on the Haynes Forum. Especially pictures of the problem you're having with the wishbones. If there is something wrong in the fabrication, or in the way you are trying to fit them, for sure someone will be able to help you and give you the answer.

But as JPS said, there are not a lot of active contributors on the Haynes forum now, so it if you post your pictures on this forum too, I'm sure you will find good help here as well.

Just to say that pictures help a lot to describe your problem.

Good luck

Petemitchell

posted on 21/9/18 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks , i will try to do a picture or 2
jps

posted on 21/9/18 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Did you have good diagrams for the MX5 chassis and suspension? Sylvain (voucht) - i hope you don't mind me pointing out there are some good resources on your Google drive - which includes an "MX-5 Haynes build manual" which might help? https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-iOekLVikV5c2xSRXZCdElrSEU
Petemitchell

posted on 21/9/18 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
[Edited on 22/9/18 by Petemitchell]
gary gsx

posted on 21/9/18 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Peter

I have a tmxr chassis what your need is a pair of bmw 5 series drag link joints I believe the part no is FTR4112 first line.
I have had my suspension on and on the floor and all looked good but all in bits now. If you require any measurements give me a shout.

Cheers Gary

Petemitchell

posted on 21/9/18 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Gary,
Thank you for that, I'll order them tomorrow .
Thanks again,
Pete.

voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 22/9/18 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
Did you have good diagrams for the MX5 chassis and suspension? Sylvain (voucht) - i hope you don't mind me pointing out there are some good resources on your Google drive - which includes an "MX-5 Haynes build manual" which might help? https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-iOekLVikV5c2xSRXZCdElrSEU

Hi John,
No I don't mind at all, that is what it is there for.
I just didn't point this out because the "MX-5 Haynes build manual" are the Saturn plans. And I think it is a bit different from Phil's TMX one.
But can be useful anyway.
Thanks

Petemitchell

posted on 22/9/18 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
All sorted now, the local factors had the correct rod ends on the shelf, fitted them and everything is looking good.
Many thanks

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.