Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driveshaft shortening?
nick205

posted on 7/1/19 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Driveshaft shortening?

Morning all,

A colleague would like to have a pair of MX5 driveshafts shortened for a project he's working on.

Can anyone recommend a UK company who can do this please?

Thanks,
Nick

FYI...he's looking at builing a re-creation of one of these BMWs using an MX5 donor car.

[Edited on 7/1/19 by nick205]

se7ensport

posted on 7/1/19 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
These guys did a fantastic job, you wouldn’t know they had been shortened, friction welded if I remember correctly http://www.cpsdrivelink.co.uk/
CNHSS1

posted on 7/1/19 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Or speak to Berrisford the autograss people or Ian Dayson at Force Racing Cars, eithershpuld be able to help

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

nick205

posted on 8/1/19 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps.

se7ensport - I'll pass on the CPS link.

CNHSS1 - I'd found and passed on Berrisford.

Replicar328

posted on 15/12/20 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I'd just like to say thanks to Nick205 and se7ensport for this thread.

I finally got my MX5 driveshafts shortened by http://www.cpsdrivelink.co.uk/ and I can say that I am delighted with the result. They look like new, with new hub nuts (which I'd have had to replace anyway) and what look like new rubber boots. When they quoted I was thinking the price was high but I'm totally convinced that this was good value - a truly professional job.

I made the mistake of getting the propshhaft shortened locally in Feltham and am disappointed with the carbuncle they tack welded to the diff end to balance it. It isn't friction welded like the original, and the need for such a large balancing weight suggests that the alignment was not good before it was welded. It's probably okay to use, but poor alignment makes me think that the UJs will endure more flex every time the shaft turns which will wear the bearings faster. I'm having to lose the PPF so a well balanced propshaft is especially important.

Cheers
Adrian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.