Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Mot this morning, and then the fire ...........
Bluemoon

posted on 2/7/19 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
From the charred remains, it appears that the fuel line/Brass tube that goes into the dcd carb has come out, and sprayed fuel all over the distributor (xflow) brilliant 1960's design !!! not,

Had a quick look at some photos of the generic crossflow setup, what were they thinking, really silly design I guess that "failure" mode can't be that uncommon.

Dan

SteveRST

posted on 2/7/19 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Really sorry to hear this Steve! Feel for you mate.

I do hope you will be able to rebuild.

steve m

posted on 2/7/19 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
After much thinking, ive decided to break the car up, there was a lot of do I rebuild, or break it up

One of the main reasons, but there were actually a few !
Was, would I feel safe in the my car again and the resounding answer was NO I would not, as having a serious fire, three feet in front of you, in an open top car, and strapped in tightly doing about 40mph, was not something I EVER want to be in that situation again

So, I am now looking for something to go in the garage, to fill the void, once ive disassembled the car for what is saleable

Already, down the tip is a lot of burnt crap, plus the alui bonnet, as to heavily damaged to repair, and well misshaped, and the nose cone, that resembled a marsh mellow, and would not of been any use to anyone
And now that that stuff has gone, I actually feel a little more positive, as its not my car in the garage anymore, just bits

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

TimC

posted on 2/7/19 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Will it be written off? If the chassis isn’t twisted by the heat, you could legitimately and guilt-free sell it to an enthusiast with a log book.

If the chassis is kaput, you could even buy a new chassis from e.g. Aries/TSR and do the same - I’d guess that’s a good way to recoup some cash and I don’t see it as underhand at all. Someone else in your situation could legitimately rebuild their car. You are just letting someone else do it.

Yes, I would be tempted if I didn’t think the wife would remove my spleen.

[Edited on 2/7/19 by TimC]

perksy

posted on 2/7/19 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear this but the most important thing is that your ok

Its always sad though when you've had a car this long

One thing though, Won't the insurers want to see the remains of it before writing it off ?

steve m

posted on 2/7/19 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
The chassis , is like a banana and the insurance claim, isn't worth the hassle, ive written off my loss by selling what is good, (not much ) and walking away, my no claims bonus means that much!

Ive had 21 years on the road motoring, in a car that I built on my own, with no help whats so ever, im not trained in any engineering skills, and was for 39 years an office worker

Ive rebuilt a few cars over the years, MG's Minis, Lotus elan, Etype, but

I had never welded before
I had never done anything with Aluminium , as in body work
never worked with fiberglass, as in moulds, etc
I had not really done much at all

I built my car, by myself,

My car owes me £8250 since building it and on the road in 1998, that includes every years, MOT tax insurance, and maintenance
and the little bits I added

so what does it owe me now, mmm £8250 divided by 21 years = £392 pounds, per year
butr I started in May 1997, so 23 years ?

I spend more on beer, than that a year !

Not really worth mucking about with insurance !!

Ive had a great time, loved every bit, my car was a show car, polished to the max, and displayed, front cover of a magazine a good few years ago, but, whats more important

Life, and ive got one now, not spendind 80% of my OFF time, in the garage fiddiling with the bloody car

love to you all my friends, I will stay on here, but more as a look at wht your all doing type of thing!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/7/19 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Major bummer

Yeah its a major hit when a car you love is totalled, been there too, crying in the ambulance while carted off to hospital and not from my broken nose and various quite sore bits

Put it behind you... mind to fit a good built in fire extinguisher next time. You'll get over it, always do.

Last time I had a car go on fire (Cortina) and the cabin suddenly filled with acrid smoke, I didn't even wait for the car to stop and jumped out where it promptly came off the road and crashed into the ditch and then the fire went out damn it now it's stuck and burnt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
McLannahan

posted on 3/7/19 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Well done, what a great (and inspiring) attitude. I think really positive to come to this conclusion so soon after that awful incident!

Onwards and upwards as they say, and all the best to you in your new (car) project what ever it is!

quote:
The chassis , is like a banana and the insurance claim, isn't worth the hassle, ive written off my loss by selling what is good, (not much ) and walking away, my no claims bonus means that much!

Ive had 21 years on the road motoring, in a car that I built on my own, with no help whats so ever, im not trained in any engineering skills, and was for 39 years an office worker

Ive rebuilt a few cars over the years, MG's Minis, Lotus elan, Etype, but

I had never welded before
I had never done anything with Aluminium , as in body work
never worked with fiberglass, as in moulds, etc
I had not really done much at all

I built my car, by myself,

My car owes me £8250 since building it and on the road in 1998, that includes every years, MOT tax insurance, and maintenance
and the little bits I added

so what does it owe me now, mmm £8250 divided by 21 years = £392 pounds, per year
butr I started in May 1997, so 23 years ?

I spend more on beer, than that a year !

Not really worth mucking about with insurance !!

Ive had a great time, loved every bit, my car was a show car, polished to the max, and displayed, front cover of a magazine a good few years ago, but, whats more important

Life, and ive got one now, not spendind 80% of my OFF time, in the garage fiddiling with the bloody car

love to you all my friends, I will stay on here, but more as a look at wht your all doing type of thing!

steve

pewe

posted on 3/7/19 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for your loss but fantastic you're taking such a pragmatic view.
Of no consolation but I've just invested in Firesticks for the hairdressers, tintop and garage.
They aren't cheap but look pretty efficient having been developed for use in spacecraft.
Keeping up on here is a good idea. I suspect lots of us don't own or run kits but still appreciate the cameradery.
Cheers, Pewe10

David Jenkins

posted on 3/7/19 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
It's a total shame - that was a lovely car that encouraged me to struggle on and get mine finished (I'd seen it at a show decades ago).

If mine suffered the same fate (heaven forbid!) I'd probably do the same thing - it's served me well and doesn't owe me anything, so a total loss wouldn't be a financial disaster - sad times, but not a disaster.

Maybe you can do what everyone else seems to be doing, and get a MX5! I've been tempted...

pewe

posted on 3/7/19 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Maybe you can do what everyone else seems to be doing, and get a MX5! I've been tempted...

Dave, don't hesitate any longer but look for a Mk1 already turbo or supercharged - that way you'll not miss the power to weight of a kitcar.
We've had ours MK1 s/charged Eunos for 6 years and it's taken us annually to Italy, done track-days and Autosolos besides just being huge fun.
Compared to other ragtops they are cheap to run and totally DIY.
Take one for a test drive I'll be surprised if you aren't smitten.
Cheers, Pewe10
BTW the 10 is 2x5 = one 5 on the road, the other a spares car - see I told you they were cheap!

David Jenkins

posted on 3/7/19 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Take one for a test drive I'll be surprised if you aren't smitten.

I've already driven one! My sister-in-law had a very nice Mk1, but she sold it - I live in East Anglia, my brother's in Nairnshire, and it was gone before I knew it was up for sale. Very good condition, with a factory hard-top option.

Marcus

posted on 15/7/19 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Steve, so sorry for your loss....
My first time back on this forum for years and one of the first things I see is this...
I hope you manage to recover some costs with the sale of the bits....gutted. I remember seeing your car at Newark very early on in our builds and thinking that's how I want mine to look (although never was a fan of the pepperpot alloys )

Mine has been sat in the garage for 12 years and only moved to get to the back of the garage. My boy is 11 years old now so he might enjoy getting out in it. We'll see

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 15/7/19 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that mate. mine's rarely used and Id still be gutted if it went up in smoke.

As you know, My first ever kit car mag is still around somewhere, bought long before I'd even heard of Locost, had your car featured in it!

You, Jasper, Hicost- what is it with your Southern boys and your fires?

Marcus,
Good to see you back mate! Hope you're well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

steve m

posted on 15/7/19 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Marcus, and James

I had forgotten about Jaspers car, Hicosts was a beast of a car, and I had a couple of rides out in it, twas incredibly quick, warp speed quick, and soooooo quite, were as mine was lot slower, and made LOTS of noise

Marcus, I was never keen on the pepper pots either, so a few years ago, I bought the superlights, as in my avtar pic <<<
now they really did suit the car, and are on ebay right now 283547119880

Ive had enough of kit cars now, so will be buying something else, not totally sure what, as I still have a "ridiculously small garage"

But size wise, a Jaguar X8 just fits, and I still have my redundancy money from 3 years ago, making no interest at all !
steve

steve m

posted on 15/7/19 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
James, I had just remembered, when we all went to Goodwood, and those girls in the sprayed on outfits, ??

Jasper and I had an awesome race with Two Ferraris on the way there, and im sure you were in Jaspers car ?
We beet the red Ferraris, as the backed off !!

steve

James

posted on 16/7/19 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
James, I had just remembered, when we all went to Goodwood, and those girls in the sprayed on outfits, ??

Jasper and I had an awesome race with Two Ferraris on the way there, and im sure you were in Jaspers car ?
We beet the red Ferraris, as the backed off !!

steve

Don't know what you mean... ;-)

They do family portraits too...
They do family portraits too...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.