Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Repainting chassis & Roll bars is this stuff any good
jester
Contributor






Posts 97
Registered 21/5/17
Member Is Offline

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 6/7/19 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Repainting chassis & Roll bars is this stuff any good

Have to do a major repainting job on my jester all the underneath back axle roll bars is this stuff any good


https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/vht-epoxy-black-chassis-and-rollbar-paint-aerosol

Have made a start with hamrite on the back drums but it doesn't seem to be the most of hard wearing paints but looked to start with
:
Is this stuff above any better

Had a look at other stuff on the same site Por15 that seems to get dearer as you go

getting on for around £70.00 for one can of spray & one small tin of rust inheabeater

[Edited on 6/7/19 by jester]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 6/7/19 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
I painted everything with Upol etch primer and generic black rattle cans.
6 years on and still ok.
Hamerite should be renamed Hamershite , I have never come across a paint so brittle

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 7/7/19 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
on my (well used ) spitfire I used upol etch primer, stonechip and then std chassis black paint, which is a synthetic paint so stays a bit flexible etc.
Not sure what I would use on brake drums? some sort of high temp paint. (MANY MANY years ago I bought a litre of heat resistant paint from B+Q, it was fantastic stuff and I used it on suspension, engines everything, lasted brilliantly but not seen it again)

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
harmchar

posted on 7/7/19 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
I used Hammerite smooth on the underside of an old classic mini. Then made the mistake of trying to put stone chip paint over that. It all slid off like it was toasted cheese. Left the primer in perfect condition.
If you want to do the job once and forget, I would go with the POR 15. £70 is not bad if you never have to do it again imho.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 7/7/19 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hammershite is dreadful stuff, it will not stay on anything, and comes off in sheets

I was told by a car restorer place to use a good household black gloss over an etch primer, and that's what I did, and its still on my car 23 years later, and some has even survived the recent fire!

steve,





Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at




View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
jester
Contributor






Posts 97
Registered 21/5/17
Member Is Offline

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 7/7/19 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
I painted everything with Upol etch primer and generic black rattle cans.
6 years on and still ok.
Hamerite should be renamed Hamershite , I have never come across a paint so brittle



Thanks for getting back with the info is the etch primer ok on the all ready painted parts if it sanded to key it

As it was powder coated the first time round by the first owner before it was left by the last owner in a field for years by the state of underneath & the general state of the rest of it

[Edited on 7/7/19 by jester]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
harmchar

posted on 7/7/19 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Etch primer should ideally be used on clean metal. It's acid base means it "bites" into the bare metal to make a stronger bond. If you spray over existing paint or primer it will attempt to eat through the existing paint and leave a finish that might be flaky or brittle.
This is my take on it, others might say they have used it with success but I would take it back to bare steel.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
jester
Contributor






Posts 97
Registered 21/5/17
Member Is Offline

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 7/7/19 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Hammershite is dreadful stuff, it will not stay on anything, and comes off in sheets


Luckily I have only done the back drums then if it's that bad .I have seen that happen on a video of Por15 in the states he had placed it straight on to rust with out cleaning it down does seem very dear for all the stuff you need to buy just to paint a bit of metal
On a different note sorry to hear about your car

I was told by a car restorer place to use a good household black gloss over an etch primer, and that's what I did, and its still on my car 23 years later, and some has even survived the recent fire!

steve,

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
jester
Contributor






Posts 97
Registered 21/5/17
Member Is Offline

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 7/7/19 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harmchar
Etch primer should ideally be used on clean metal. It's acid base means it "bites" into the bare metal to make a stronger bond. If you spray over existing paint or primer it will attempt to eat through the existing paint and leave a finish that might be flaky or brittle.
This is my take on it, others might say they have used it with success but I would take it back to bare steel.


I can't get to all the tubeing proply as it's under wings of the car the only way to get to it all would be to take the whole body tube which won't be happing as it's bonded on

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
jester
Contributor






Posts 97
Registered 21/5/17
Member Is Offline

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 7/7/19 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
on my (well used ) spitfire I used upol etch primer, stonechip and then std chassis black paint, which is a synthetic paint so stays a bit flexible etc.
Not sure what I would use on brake drums? some sort of high temp paint. (MANY MANY years ago I bought a litre of heat resistant paint from B+Q, it was fantastic stuff and I used it on suspension, engines everything, lasted brilliantly but not seen it again)


Was yours on a bare metal etch primer job or did you get away with out it damaging the paint that is left on before you used the std chassis paint

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
J666AYP

posted on 7/7/19 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hammerite used to be quality, sadly now its crap.

As said above a decent etch primer and household gloss will do the trick. Or go one better and use POR15.

All depends on your budget, but either will work fine.

Jay

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 8/7/19 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
Do a search on here ,this question has been asked umpteen times .
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
jester
Contributor






Posts 97
Registered 21/5/17
Member Is Offline

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 8/7/19 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Do a search on here ,this question has been asked umpteen times .


I have seen one other post on here.

But it's worth finding out what has worked for other people or more importantly is aload of crap & not worth the money or time putting on in the first place

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
jester
Contributor






Posts 97
Registered 21/5/17
Member Is Offline

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 8/7/19 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J666AYP
Hammerite used to be quality, sadly now its crap.

As said above a decent etch primer and household gloss will do the trick. Or go one better and use POR15.

All depends on your budget, but either will work fine.

Jay


Had a bit of a search there owened by the dulex group

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 8/7/19 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jester
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Do a search on here ,this question has been asked umpteen times .


I have seen one other post on here.

But it's worth finding out what has worked for other people or more importantly is aload of crap & not worth the money or time putting on in the first place [/quote

Funny, Iíve managed to find at least 20 other questions on the subject with loads of replies

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 8/7/19 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
On my MK Indy I brush painted the bare metal chassis with red oxide primer then Halfords "chassis black". the black paint looked OK, but wasn't very hard wearing. The red oxide underneath never gave up though, held on to the metal really well.

The roll bar I rattle canned with red oxide then rattle canned with matte black, never had any problems.

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jester
Contributor






Posts 97
Registered 21/5/17
Member Is Offline

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 8/7/19 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for the sensible replys
Ordering some stuff up now

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
JonBowden

posted on 9/7/19 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Painting chassis parts is something that most of us have to do at sometime, so I think it's worth asking even if it's been asked before.
My personal favourite is POR15, I think it's worth the money.





Jon

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 9/7/19 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to go absolutely mad then buy Jotuns Jotunmastic 87 undercoat followed buy hardtop flexi top coat. They paint oil rig legs with the '87' for rust proofing and digger buckets with hardtop flexi.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
jester
Contributor






Posts 97
Registered 21/5/17
Member Is Offline

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 9/7/19 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden
Painting chassis parts is something that most of us have to do at sometime, so I think it's worth asking even if it's been asked before.
My personal favourite is POR15, I think it's worth the money.



Going use upol etch primer, on the as much of the bare metal and then std chassis black paint,As a lot of people have had good results

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
jester
Contributor






Posts 97
Registered 21/5/17
Member Is Offline

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 9/7/19 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
If you want to go absolutely mad then buy Jotuns Jotunmastic 87 undercoat followed buy hardtop flexi top coat. They paint oil rig legs with the '87' for rust proofing and digger buckets with hardtop flexi.


Have just had a look at this stuff online looks good value for money anybody else used this feedback please

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.