Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ordering prop shaft - what 'ends' do I need to supply?
jps

posted on 1/9/19 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Ordering prop shaft - what 'ends' do I need to supply?

I need to order a propshaft for my Haynes, I have heard both Dunning and Fairbank and Bailey Morris well recommended on here, so intend to use one of these.

I have a Sierra 7.5" diff and a Type 3 gearbox - which came from different cars. I do not have the end of the original propshaft which bolted onto the diff, I do have the splined input shaft from the gearbox - which originally bolted to a rubber 'donut'.

Will a prop shaft supplier typically provide the flange which bolts to the diff, and the splined shaft to go into the gearbox - or would I be expected to supply those?

And is there anything else I should know about spec-ing the propshaft (or will need to tell the supplier!)?

rusty nuts

posted on 1/9/19 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Bailey Morris supplied all new parts when I ordered my prop .
voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 1/9/19 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John,

quote:
Originally posted by jps
I need to order a propshaft for my Haynes, I have heard both Dunning and Fairbank and Bailey Morris well recommended on here, so intend to use one of these.

I had my propshaft done by Dunning and Fairbank (from Sierra MT75 gearbox to Sierra 7'' diff.), and they did a very good job. I never heard anything bad about them as well. And they are quick to deliver too. So I definitely recommend them

quote:
I have a Sierra 7.5" diff and a Type 3 gearbox - which came from different cars. I do not have the end of the original propshaft which bolted onto the diff, I do have the splined input shaft from the gearbox - which originally bolted to a rubber 'donut'.

Provide them with all the informations you have. With their experience, I'm sure they will know what to put at what end.

quote:
Will a prop shaft supplier typically provide the flange which bolts to the diff, and the splined shaft to go into the gearbox - or would I be expected to supply those?

They definitely have the flange to fit the Sierra diff. I don't know for the splined shaft that fit the type 3 gerabox, but I doubt it will be a problem for them.

For my MT75, I had to get rid of the rubber doughnut, and their propshaft bolts on the Sierra MT75 gearbox tri arm flange via a steel adaptor they provided (with the complete bolt kit). I haven't have to send them anything.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Hope that will help

Eddie1978

posted on 1/9/19 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I used Driveline propa few months ago. type9 to large flange english, all brand new parts painted and balanced £110 delivered to my door 4days from ordering to been in my hands.

Really easy to deal with rang them up told them which ends total length etc... totally painless

[Edited on 1/9/19 by Eddie1978]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.