Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Free 2D CAD is Best
John P

posted on 14/7/20 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Which Free 2D CAD is Best

I have occasionally used a CAD package to draw up simple parts to get made up or for Architectural type projects at home.

A few years ago I downloaded DraftSight from Dassault Systems which I found excellent and certainly more than enough for anything I'd ever need but unfortunately it's no longer free and for the little bit I use it I can't justify paying $99 / year.

I have just downloaded QCAD but, at first sight, this looks a bit limited even for my use as I couldn't seem to do things like hatch areas.

So, any suggestions? I only need 2D and would prefer something I download to my PC rather than a cloud based system.

John.

luke2152

posted on 14/7/20 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Autocad does free student version and don't require proof of student status. It is fully featured with the exception of when you print anything it says produced on student version - pretty much to stop you using it for work but fine for personal stuff.
NuZil

posted on 14/7/20 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke2152
Autocad does free student version and don't require proof of student status. It is fully featured with the exception of when you print anything it says produced on student version - pretty much to stop you using it for work but fine for personal stuff.

As a long time user of Autocad, I've been having a go with Autodesk Fusion 360 which is free for home use. I recognise a lot in what I see.

It's perfect for me for some light 2D work at home.

mi2jaca

posted on 15/7/20 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NuZil
quote:
Originally posted by luke2152

As a long time user of Autocad, I've been having a go with Autodesk Fusion 360 which is free for home use. I recognise a lot in what I see.

It's perfect for me for some light 2D work at home.

+1

Carl Blomén

Writing from Gothenburg in Sweden

When in doubt - Go fast

Slimy38

posted on 15/7/20 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
It's interesting that Fusion 360 has been suggested, I use it quite a lot for 3D printing and modelling but never considered it as purely 2D. It's certainly very capable so I see no reason why it can't be used. The only thing is that it's primarily cloud based, although you don't have to stay connected. The software itself is a local install, only the image store and export (and licencing) is cloud.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.