Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thermal camera alternative
Slimy38

posted on 24/11/20 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thermal camera alternative

I want to have a look at a few things heat related, for example I want to check my heated seats work ok, I could do with finding out why one of our bedrooms is colder than others, that sort of thing. I was wondering about a thermal camera but they're not exactly cheap. Even the mobile phone driven ones are three figures at least.

Is there anything else that could give similar results? I don't need the fancy graphics to see what is hot or cold, but I do want at least a little bit of accuracy (down to half an inch or so). Any thoughts or recommendations?

mcerd1

posted on 25/11/20 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
if your looking for cost effective solution have you thought about infrared thermometers ?

I got one of these a couple of years ago and its pretty good for the money (although the price seams to have gone up £8 or so since...)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AT9TON0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i got mine for the garage a few odd jobs, but i've used it in the kitchen most often

just remember that any infrared sensor (basic one or full featured camera) will have issues with things that are reflective or transparent to IR (ie most metal's reflect etc... but there are ways of dealing with that)

[Edited on 25/11/2020 by mcerd1]

-

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/11/20 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
I have one of those thermometer gun things with the laser dot. If you hold down the trigger it continuously reads what temp it sees. It's very handy for scanning along walls looking for cold spots etc. I got it as a birthday present after some hinting but I don't think they are expensive. If you point it at a clear sky it reads about - 50 or the temp of the clouds and at the stove goes over 800 deg. A meter away it's about an inch area its looking at. Can spot if a cylinder is not running right or a brake is binding, electric connections in the house are over heating, if the kids are trying to bunk of school with a alleged temperature... Loads of uses.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 25/11/20 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Aha, that's what they're called! I'd seen similar device on cooking programmes and even as Covid health checks, but didn't know what they were called.

I think they might be the best option, especially with that continuous measurement option. I was kind of worried that I'd have to be fairly close or the resolution wasn't good, but an inch area at a metre range sounds pretty usable.

Thank you both.

mcerd1

posted on 25/11/20 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I think they might be the best option, especially with that continuous measurement option. I was kind of worried that I'd have to be fairly close or the resolution wasn't good, but an inch area at a metre range sounds pretty usable.

my one (in the link above) can do the continuous measurement while you holt the trigger
and has a 25mm dia. area at 300mm and 30mm dia. at 360mm - so thats about 83mm at 1m

ones more or less the same as that one turn up in Aldi / Lidl now and then too

-

ianhurley20

posted on 25/11/20 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Mine cost £14.99 a couple of weeks ago at Lidl. At that price I wasn't expecting too much but its far more accurate than I thought. Instant result on taking someones temerature, I don't have to bleed the radiators anymore as it shows a cold spot at the top if there is air in that radiator, misfire on one cylinder at peak revs - temp reading shows which, adjust spark gap a little and it shows if that is a success. More useful than I expected

Slimy38

posted on 25/11/20 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
Mine cost £14.99 a couple of weeks ago at Lidl. At that price I wasn't expecting too much but its far more accurate than I thought. Instant result on taking someones temerature, I don't have to bleed the radiators anymore as it shows a cold spot at the top if there is air in that radiator, misfire on one cylinder at peak revs - temp reading shows which, adjust spark gap a little and it shows if that is a success. More useful than I expected

Oddly enough I've just managed to get back to my computer and Aldi/Lidl were going to be my first destination!

fregis

posted on 25/11/20 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
it is IR thermometer. bigger distance, less accurate reading, because sensor picking up wider area

Never be afraid to do what you are insolvent, remember: amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.