Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Metalistic wishbone bushes
BazaO

posted on 14/12/20 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Metalistic wishbone bushes

Hi, just purchased a Stuart Taylor, front wishbones have seized and poorly fitted poly bushes. Only going to be used on the road so don't want poly and all the hassle of fitting, don't have a lathe etc. So any ideas on the old fashioned rubber bush and where to get such parts. Was there an original OEM part?

Hate to think what the rear susp. looks like!

Edwardo

posted on 14/12/20 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure what the difference is between a Stuart Taylor - but I'm going through a similar exercise with a book Locost.

Been told the standard Metalastic bushes in wishbone and trailing arms etc are from a Triumph Herald (and other Triumph models). Was hoping there might be a 'sticky' on this site listing all the standard info but it seems not?

I did email Flo-flex on Ebay about getting a full set of Poly bushes for a Locost and they basically said I need to remove/measure them all and let them know to get the correct replacement. So I suspect you may end up having to follow the same path to make sure you get the right 'standard' replacements?

Cheers
Tony

[Edited on 14/12/20 by Edwardo]

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/12/20 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
If you go onto the website for gmtrubber and go onto their suspension bushes section, there is a data table pdf at the bottom of the page you can download which has loads of bush details and sizes.

linky

[Edited on 15/12/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BazaO

posted on 15/12/20 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks fellas, I really appreciate any help possible!
cliftyhanger

posted on 15/12/20 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Be aware that the rubber bushes being sold are rubbish.
(yes, I own a Triumph) I tried some and they fell apart in 2 years. The exception is if you an find GENUINE Metalastic bushes, but good luck with that, not seen any, even at autojumbles, for over 10 years. Metalastic is a brand, it will be moulded on the rubber. And lasts forever.
Safest bet is to buy decent poly. Superflex are very good. Others not so, certainly look for proper recommendations from people who own/use teh brand, not just that they were delivered quickly.

The rubber bush thing annoys me. It is possible to make quality stuff, but corners are cut to satisfy people who buy on price alone. But TRE's where the gaiters disintegrate when they are still in a box after 2 years are commonplace. Yet replace the gaiters and they are fine. Makes no sense.

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/12/20 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Be aware that the rubber bushes being sold are rubbish.
(yes, I own a Triumph) I tried some and they fell apart in 2 years. The exception is if you an find GENUINE Metalastic bushes, but good luck with that, not seen any, even at autojumbles, for over 10 years. Metalastic is a brand, it will be moulded on the rubber. And lasts forever.
Safest bet is to buy decent poly. Superflex are very good. Others not so, certainly look for proper recommendations from people who own/use teh brand, not just that they were delivered quickly.

The rubber bush thing annoys me. It is possible to make quality stuff, but corners are cut to satisfy people who buy on price alone. But TRE's where the gaiters disintegrate when they are still in a box after 2 years are commonplace. Yet replace the gaiters and they are fine. Makes no sense.

I think the real problem is that the market is flooded with poor quality products. That’s why I tend to go for the same brand as the manufacturer or German stuff as in the long run it saves to have to replace things less.

Another thing that wreaks them is the common mistake people make of tightening the suspension bushes with the wheels off the ground or if the car is off the ground for a while, not slackening the bushes. Doing this incorrectly will destroy the bushes in no time. I think people who are building cars with poly bush suspension, forget about the coilovers, which are usually rubber. These need to be left loose until the cars been sitting on the ground for a day or so while the springs settle since the range of motion of the bushes is very limited.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 15/12/20 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I believe a Stuart taylor is exactly the same as a Locost?

And if so, ditch the metlalistic bushes, there crap, and you will always have problems with them,
stick poly bushes in, you will never regret it, and they are pretty well maintenance free
I did this on my Locost several years ago, and the difference driving on the road, was like a different car,

I havent got a lathe, and not sure why you need one to put the bushes in? as i did not
You do have to cut the mounting tubes down about 3mm each side, theres numerous threads about it on this site and order longer inner tubes theres a guy on ebay that can make these tubes to your spec,

its an easy and VERY WORTHWILE modification,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

steve m

posted on 15/12/20 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Ebay link to a Person who makes bespoke tubes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kit-Car-Track-Car-suspension-crush-tubes-19mm-dia-x-44mm-long-Stainless-Steel/182662940773?_trkparms=aid%3D888008%26algo%3D DISC.CARDS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225114%26meid%3Deec442448ec5415ba066503076a0594c%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D114404850002%26itm%3D18266294077 3%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDiscV1%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

BazaO

posted on 16/12/20 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, amazing response, now I don't feel helpless. It really is about sorting the wheat from the chaff, ebay js great but you can easily end up buying crap. Big thanks to Steve M for the ebay link
procomp

posted on 17/12/20 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi. As someone who was involved in sorting the original ST Locost 7 type cars with Ian, trust me you do not want to be fitting Metastatic type bushes.
The wishbones where designed to use the original PLASTIC bushes available from wisbeach engineering they are not poly urethane. However Poly urethane versions are now available from various suppliers, just watch out for quality as some are best described as appalling quality and some are very good.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.