Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis Identification
big_wasa

posted on 8/1/21 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
There are parts of it that look Mk and lots that look nothing like an Mk.

I would say it's been rebuilt using a damaged mk chassis or built from scratch to resemble an Mk.

If the chassis is worth saving I would get a new vin and build it as a Locost but you will loose the added Mk resale value.

Or tidy it up and move it on.

Or use it as a donor for a new mk.

macboycie

posted on 8/1/21 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with what you have said,
I do not want to tidy it up and move it on as that is what everyone else has done.
It has a lot of good bits, that have not been fitted, because as we all know with kitcars, that is never straight forward.
That is why I was thinking about doing a new MK chassis but MK have informed me my Wishbones and other items do not fit, so I would also need to buy them.
I was hoping for a straight forward swap over.
I wish the people that have owned the car before me that have read my private message to them on this forum would give me some info on the car, so this car can finally get on the road & not another 5 people in a course of 10years working on it

jps

posted on 8/1/21 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macboycie
The chassis is 460mm bottom to top

Do you mean the height of the chassis from the bottom of the lower rail to the top of the upper rail in the engine bay? Or do you mean from the bottom of the lowest chassis rail, to the top of the rail behind the seat?

Neither of those dimensions tallies with it being a Haynes Roadster chassis, which in the book is 355mm for the engine bay and 547.5mm for the bottomrail to top rail behind the seat.

The front frame on your chassis is also not like a Haynes Roadster book design - it might just be the photo but the lower wishbone inner mounts look a lot closer together than any other build i've seen. How is the bump steer on it?

What running gear does it have?

big_wasa

posted on 8/1/21 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a similar project myself a year ago. I am guessing it’s been through three or four owners in the last ~10years. There is plenty of issues with it. But it was very cheap and like you I would like to save it.
I hope to start it in the spring now I’ve finished this one, well sort of.

macboycie

posted on 8/1/21 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry could not work the tape measure that day, it is 355mm in the engine bay.
I have not driven it, as there is a lot to do ie: complete new loom, 4 branch manifold, gearbox mounts & much more.
The running gear is Blacktop 2.0 zetec with single GBS throttle body on mega squirt, MT75 gearbox, Sierra 3.9 LSD

macboycie

posted on 8/1/21 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
What is very interesting, is there is a yellow MK Indy on Ebay and it looks just like mine, that has flat panels at the feet end not curved.
big_wasa

posted on 8/1/21 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
The Mk chassis was a copy and an evolution of another like most of them. But the yellow Pinto powered Indy on eBay looks like a traditional Indy with a lot of bent tubing. Front top wishbones, bulkhead, front section.
jacko

posted on 8/1/21 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
If you look at Ron champions book and it looks like your chassis then it could be a Martin Keenan chassis as he had a lot to do with making them Also mc1 cars did a good co-y of mk chassis
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/1/21 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
It's 100% not an MK Chassis, I had one and yours is very different in many area. Their actually quite easy to spot due to the way MK formed the tubing. If you really don't want to use the chassis, sell it on but really it would be far quicker and vastly cheaper to just sort and finish this car than to start all over again. From what I can make out from the photos looks a very decent car and could be finished to a high standard. With some regular work on it, you could easily have ready for the IVA by summer.

I have a prediction that might be considered unfair, but if you get a new chassis and start all over again it won't be completed.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 8/1/21 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
I guess from your Fb post you are already looking for a hairdryer

[Edited on 8/1/21 by big_wasa]

macboycie

posted on 8/1/21 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry don’t understand what you mean
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/1/21 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macboycie
Sorry don’t understand what you mean

A turbo cos they look like hair dryers

[Edited on 8/1/21 by Mr Whippy]

big_wasa

posted on 8/1/21 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly my apologies, just my sense of humour.

There was a post on Fb over Xmas with the owner of this car already wanting big power. I now see it was the last owner

[Edited on 9/1/21 by big_wasa]

macboycie

posted on 8/1/21 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
And he had it for as long as week
macboycie

posted on 9/1/21 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
The front crossbar missing, does it have to be the same length or can I make a shorter version so I don’t have to modify the inlet
jacko

posted on 10/1/21 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
A shorter bar is better then no bar also the square plastic plugs could do to be removed and a metal plate welded on th strength that area as it looks like some welds are missing
Graham

big_wasa

posted on 10/1/21 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
An Mk Indy doesn’t have them bars at all but it’s is way less than ideal.

There was structural analysis done years ago to improve 7 chassis have a look for by posts by “Cymtriks”

[Edited on 10/1/21 by big_wasa]

macboycie

posted on 10/1/21 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
From looking at your chassis, I’ve noticed your front wishbone fixing points are offset. My are offset but my wishbones are not designed to be offset, as my front wheels seem further forward and my steering arms are further forward. I’ll add photos tomorrow for reference
macboycie

posted on 11/1/21 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Added photos for reference

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Measurements
Rear lower 410mm
front lower 335mm
rear top 610mm
front top 560mm

Can I buy offset wishbones or do I need to space out the front

big_wasa

posted on 11/1/21 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Things don’t look right. Best to get it stripped down a bit and in the day light for some better photos.
big_wasa

posted on 14/1/21 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I take it you have given up on it then as its on Ebay
macboycie

posted on 14/1/21 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly I have but I have purchased a road going MK Indy which is correct.
I have removed the MK chassis label & removed chassis number on the frame, as I do not want to falsely advertise it, as many people have done

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.