Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Bracket for holding silencer
smart51

posted on 31/12/05 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Bracket for holding silencer

My brackect for holding my silencer snapped today. Temporarily, I've made one the same but I want to make a proper one.

The ali strap that I used first of all fractured at one of the bends. I have bent the new one witha larger radius but maybe aly is not the right material to use. What should I make it from and where can I get a small piece?

JoelP

posted on 31/12/05 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
mild or stainless steel i guess, an exhaust will always wobble which will lead to work hardening in ally.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MkIndy7

posted on 31/12/05 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Might be a silly question but was it solidly mounted to the car, or was it on rubber mounts?

Should imagine if it was on small rubber bobbins they should flex instead of the ali

Humbug

posted on 31/12/05 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
Might be a silly question but was it solidly mounted to the car, or was it on rubber mounts?

Should imagine if it was on small rubber bobbins they should flex instead of the ali

I used ali and it's been OK so far. Mounted on a Land Rover engine rubber mount:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=2005-06-11%204%20Locost%20silencer%20strap%20on%20mount%20and%20support.jpg

RazMan

posted on 31/12/05 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Stainless is going to be much stronger than ally but more awkward to bend depending on the shape. Either way, rubber mounting is essential.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 31/12/05 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Either way, rubber mounting is essential.

Why is rubber mounting essential???

chrisg

posted on 31/12/05 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
It's not on a bike engined car, as the engines bolted in solid anyway.

Things with engine mounts made of flexible material need a flexibly mounted exhaust.

Usually.

cheers

Chris

RazMan

posted on 31/12/05 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
wot he said

Apart from that, if you want to keep any tooth fillings you may have, a rubber mount is a good idea. It also acts as a buffer for vibration induced noise.

[Edited on 1-1-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 1/1/06 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
It is mounted on a rubber bobbin. I might try a bigger piece of aly but stainless would be nice as I have a stainless exhaust. where can I get a strip of stainless from. Is it easy to drill? I'd heard that it was very hard.
02GF74

posted on 3/1/06 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
this is my set up; rear exhaust support
rear exhaust support

It has no history hence I cannot comment on suitability/longevity. One thing I plan to do is to weld a steel strip on the inside for the top bolt as it is held to the side panel - I suspect that over time that will fatigue hence the additional support inside plus the side panel will not act as a vibrating diaphragm.

Don't want to build your hope up but I may have some s.steel sheet at home that I could cut a short strip - chances are it will be too thin for your needs. If you struggle, B&Q do mild steel strip, 2mm thick, various widths for a few quid that would do just as well (just need painting).

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.